Uncharted 3

The actual vid itself is kinda dull. He hasn't much to say.

For a 69-year-old with next to no gaming sense, it's that he has so little to say that struck me most. He's engrossed enough that he'd rather focus on the game than say anything. But really, he said it best himself:
Indiana Jones said:
And if there weren't a whole bunch of people around, it'd be even more exciting

He wanted to play it more than talk about it.

If this is a good ad for Japanese audience, I think it's a good example of the big differences between cultures, because I have a feeling this wouldn't fly in the U.S. at all. I could be wrong, but wow to me the game sells itself a lot better than this ... eh ... very exciting ... ad ... venture.

The Japanese site has a series of videos. It may be some sort of informercial over the net. I don't think the purpose is to show the game (for this particular one). It's to associate the game with Indiana Jones, and also even old people can play it.

For a 69-year-old with next to no gaming sense, it's that he has so little to say that struck me most. He's engrossed enough that he'd rather focus on the game than say anything. But really, he said it best himself:

He wanted to play it more than talk about it.

I was wondering if the controls will confuse him. Those parts may have been edited out (if it happened at all), but at least he got far enough.

It reminded me of the "don't aim" video in the last page. It seems that ND also tuned the game so that noobs can play it (assuming they are brave enough to pick up the controller).

The Japanese site has a series of videos. It may be some sort of informercial over the net. I don't think the purpose is to show the game (for this particular one). It's to associate the game with Indiana Jones, and also even old people can play it.

And the combination of the latter two is exactly why it's wrong for the US audience.:LOL:

I think it's meant to be more, if Indiana Jones played console games. He'd play Uncharted on PS3. PS3 it only does... downtime for semi-retired swashbuckling heroes!!

It's a Japanese ad, so I don't think they look at US too much. The presentation will be different.

If you look up Indiana Jones on wiki, it seems that Indy was (is ?) pretty popular in US. In 2010, he's ranked #2 by Times as one of the all time greatest heroes, right after Sherlock Holmes.

In fact, my friend named his son Indy. They live up in Sacramento. ^_^

It reminded me of the "don't aim" video in the last page. It seems that ND also tuned the game so that noobs can play it (assuming they are brave enough to pick up the controller).

You can run ngun without aiming in Uncharted1 and Uncharted 2 too. I used to do that a lot when in trouble. In fact that was th eonly way to clear off the spaniards.

Whether it works in UC2 MP or not, is something I wouldn't know. But the auto aim was always there in the Uncharted games, maybe you guys never noticed.

Run and gun was in (there was even a trophy), but it was never that effective in U2 MP AFAIK. Maybe I just never tried it?! edit: Actually I'm sure I did because there was a skill you could equip for more accurate blindfire. It was still ineffective - those skills don't make a lot of difference.

I have not played Jak and Daxter before. Why do people like the game ?
Jak & Daxter was a decent Banjo-Kazooie Clone with insanely good graphics. Along with MGS2, it was one of the first games that made you say, "Ohh...so this is what the PS2 can do!"

Jak II is a driving game where the goal is to avoid accidentally bumping into red-armored bad guys and trigger an alarm/chase sequence. But you aren't racing a timer or other players; you are racing your own boredom. If you manage to get to the end of the driving sequence before your own boredom overcomes you and makes you turn the game off, you are rewarded with a somewhat less boring platforming/shooting section and further development of a completely incoherent plot.

Some people also think Daxter is funny for some reason. Probably the same people who think it's hilarious whenever Adam Sandler uses his "screechy voice."

Play the Ratchet & Clank games instead. Same engine and about 54352098342 times more fun.

Jak & Daxter was a decent Banjo-Kazooie Clone with insanely good graphics. Along with MGS2, it was one of the first games that made you say, "Ohh...so this is what the PS2 can do!"

Jak II is a driving game where the goal is to avoid accidentally bumping into red-armored bad guys and trigger an alarm/chase sequence. But you aren't racing a timer or other players; you are racing your own boredom. If you manage to get to the end of the driving sequence before your own boredom overcomes you and makes you turn the game off, you are rewarded with a somewhat less boring platforming/shooting section and further development of a completely incoherent plot.

Some people also think Daxter is funny for some reason. Probably the same people who think it's hilarious whenever Adam Sandler uses his "screechy voice."

Play the Ratchet & Clank games instead. Same engine and about 54352098342 times more fun.

IYO. The popularity of the games suggests you are in a minority, by most accounts Jak 3 is also a great game and I think you must be confusing yourself as I'm pretty certain Jak 2 is like the first game (maybe you were thinking Jak X which is the weakest of the 4 games)?.

Jak 3 is a great game ! and the racing game was Jak X Renegade, right? but if you are providing a discription of Jak 2's general gameplay, I wouldn't know. I haven't played any of them, either but I have watched a lot of videos of Jak 3 and it makes me wanna play Jak 3 like hell.

OTOH, I have bought Ratchet games and played them too but always left them halfway as I never feel any motivation to continue after spending about an hour in them. All you do is break boxes and munch through incessant groups of enemies. the only areas where Ratchet seems fun is in the platforming parts and they are much fewer than the shooting/box breaking parts. People love them, I have bought three of them and couldn't fall in love with any even if they looked great.

goonergaz said:
. The popularity of the games suggests you are in a minority, by most accounts
The Jak games had declining sales with each successive release.
I think you must be confusing yourself as I'm pretty certain Jak 2 is like the first game
I played Jak II for the first time a month or two ago. Unfortunately, the game's boredom-based driving sections ultimately were too hard for me. I ended up needing something more stimulating to keep my blood pressure from zeroing out, so I watched a crochet instructional DVD for six hours instead.
RenegadeRocks said:
I haven't played any of them, either but I have watched a lot of videos of Jak 3 and it makes me wanna play Jak 3 like hell.
I wouldn't know about Jak III; I haven't played it, either. But if you like classic N64 platformers like Banjo-Kazooie and Rayman 2, you will enjoy the first game. If hate fun, you will like the second game.

I had fun with Jak2, but it's kind of a schizophrenic beast which was apparently focus tested all the way to hell and back. GTAIII was taking the world by storm, so ND implemented a pointless open world and gave the main character guns. It was also the era of whiny rock music created by sheltered white suburban kinds who kept on crying because they were supposedly bullied at school, so of course Jak was turned into an angry, angsty rebel with a goatie. Then there were the creepy cartoon ladies whose skin-tight, near non-existent tops could barely contain their ample chests. It was also balls-hard.
Reminded me somewhat of the equally misguided Prince of Persia: Warrior Within.

Of course. That goes without saying!
The popularity of the games suggests you are in a minority...
Technically, many, many millions more people didn't buy Jak then did, so I'm not sure that argument holds. :p But this is all going a bit too OT. Someone start an "I want Jak and Daxter game" thread if it's desirable.

Run and gun was in (there was even a trophy), but it was never that effective in U2 MP AFAIK. Maybe I just never tried it?! edit: Actually I'm sure I did because there was a skill you could equip for more accurate blindfire. It was still ineffective - those skills don't make a lot of difference.

Yeah I don't think auto-aim in U2 is effective. I usually aim myself. But auto grenade placement seems too good. ^_^ I could often place a bomb well without aiming, right before I died.

Yeah I don't think auto-aim in U2 is effective. I usually aim myself. But auto grenade placement seems too good. ^_^ I could often place a bomb well without aiming, right before I died.

Auto Aim is very effective in SP in Uc1 as well as 2. yes, blind grenade throws are also easy to judge.

I am not talking about MP here, so please don't misunderstand. In SP, the auto aim has always been super effective at close range in Uncharted games, whether you use a shotgun or a AK or an Uzi. It works with all.

WRT J&D - I just meant the popularity of the franchise.

Back OT - well sort of - I'm really hyped for this, I've started my Uncharted (hard) playthrough and man I just love this series of games. I recall going from U2 to U1 and thinking the controls were pants, but having not played U2 for ages I think it plays really well :)

Hopefully I will get through this and then an easy playthrough of U2 before U3 arrives in ~10 days! :D

more review scores :

Play-3live: 19/20
JVN : 19/20
Gameblog: 5/5
Jeuxvideo.com : 18/20
Jeuxvideo.fr : 9/10
Jeuxactu : 19/20
Gamalive 4,5/5

GamePro : 5/5
Eurogamer Portugal : 9/10
GamersNET : 10/10
GameTrailer : 9.5/10