Uncharted 3

All they have to do is take out the platform bits and offer up big chuncks of gameplay that just involve the shootouts as seperate coop levels. Make it an unlock for completing the game once in single player and everyones happy.
For "all they have to do," that sounds like a lot of work! Redesigning whole levels and potential story features (where are players 2 and 3 in Uncharted 2's crashed train ascension when he's on his own?) ends up creating a different game. May as well just have a separate coop campaign. I wouldn't mind as much if it was more than just the treasure hunting and shooting of U2's coop, but I'd like to see an improvement on that even if it's not the full campaign getting coop.

Well Uncharted is now Sony's number one premier IP.... There's no reason why Sony shouldn't make sure ND have the resources they need to do whatever they choose to in light of U3.

I know i'm being selfish and there's other Sony IPs to think about, but devs like ND, SSM and GG should be the ones getting the supersize game budgets these days, rather than the Japanese devs who take too long to put out good but ultimately flawed games (sly dig at PD - don't worry i'm just being cheeky, i love PD's games).

Also given that ND are a one-game-at-a-time team, Sony should ake sure they have the resources they need to go balls to the walls for the games they make. If they want to do both a SP campaign and separate story-driven coop campaign, Sony should fund it.

As much as i've not been a fan of Halo games since the first one (mainly because i didn't like the SP campaigns and i don't play MP much), i cannot fault MS for going all out with sheer amount of content they pack into each title. No matter how flawed the SP of a Halo game is, the sheer amount of things to do in the games keep them getting 10s from gaming journos.

In any case i loved U2's formula of SP being the core undiluted experience, and MP coop being extra additional scenarios to entertain you long after you've finished the SP.

I remember NaughtyDog said they are putting a lot of effort in U3 multiplayer. Some sites claimed that NaughtyDog wants U3 to be the place where PS3 owners go to play MP games.

It is difficult for U3 to outdo modern military or space combat games in the armory department.

It is probably impossible to do clan war in U3 too.

So they have to think of something else. I thought U2 co-op is fine. They only need to add more complex scenarios and more variable enemy spawns and actions. ^_^. I don't mind a U3 co-op that can rival or surpass R2 co-op.

I remember NaughtyDog said they are putting a lot of effort in U3 multiplayer. Some sites claimed that NaughtyDog wants U3 to be the place where PS3 owners go to play MP games.

It is difficult for U3 to outdo modern military or space combat games in the armory department.

It is probably impossible to do clan war in U3 too.

So they have to think of something else. I thought U2 co-op is fine. They only need to add more complex scenarios and more variable enemy spawns and actions. ^_^. I don't mind a U3 co-op that can rival or surpass R2 co-op.

You don't need an extensive armory or customizable weapon to outdo other shooters.

Uncharted multiplayer already has the advantage of having far more environmental traversal than any other shooter, a level like highrise is an example of that, their combination of platforming mechanics with third-person shooter is already very enjoyable and fundamentally sound, they can try to outdo other shooters through introduction of more interesting MP objectives, plunder is a far more enjoyable spin on the traditional capture-the-flag mode, as well as a more fleshed out set of community tools.

Yes... I thought about the traversal. Can't decide whether it's a plus or minus. For people who are looking for bloodthirsty shooting, the platforming takes time away. I found myself encountering fewer enemies while traversing the map. OTOH, the platforming adds more variety to the gameplay when all/most of the players make full use of it.

But your idea sounds right: If ND fleshes out the system with different objectives to direct the traffic, it'd be more interesting.

Yes... I thought about the traversal. Can't decide whether it's a plus or minus. For people who are looking for bloodthirsty shooting, the platforming takes time away. I found myself encountering fewer enemies while traversing the map. OTOH, the platforming adds more variety to the gameplay when all/most of the players make full use of it.

But your idea sounds right: If ND fleshes out the system with different objectives to direct the traffic, it'd be more interesting.

I'm not sure it's even possible to try to beat COD at its own game of "a kill every 5 seconds", the stealth takedowns, the pulldowns, the cat-and-mouse, all that stuff makes Uncharted 2 so much more fun.

I'm not sure it's even possible to try to beat COD at its own game of "a kill every 5 seconds", the stealth takedowns, the pulldowns, the cat-and-mouse, all that stuff makes Uncharted 2 so much more fun.
Yeah I don't you're see any other shooter conquering COD's massive success (anytime soon at least), but ND should stay on their own path and add more to what already works for them.

There might come a time when people will want to try out some alternative games besides COD. Like EA said, you can at least take away some of that COD pie. I just hope ND sticks it out and their userbase for Uncharted continues to grow, that way have they have the opportunity gain some COD fans (not all of them though;)).

Yeah I don't you're see any other shooter conquering COD's massive success (anytime soon at least), but ND should stay on their own path and add more to what already works for them.

There might come a time when people will want to try out some alternative games besides COD. Like EA said, you can at least take away some of that COD pie. I just hope ND sticks it out and their userbase for Uncharted continues to grow, that way have they have the opportunity gain some COD fans (not all of them though;)).

I think the COD effect will eventually wear out, the problem with EA's approach of trying to cannibalize COD's userbase with Medal of Honor is that they're always going to play second fiddle, but in turn MOH has basically lost its own identity.

Uncharted 2's MP is, surprisingly, still averaging 50k per night, obviously not COD numbers but actually it's pretty darn good after more than a year, I think the approach is to build a strong brand that has its own share of the market and grow it with marketing and critical acclaim, as well as strong community features and play modes that will provide longevity.

It's not an impossible task, I wouldn't have believed if someone told me that COD would overtake HALO as the online shooter brand this generation but it happened, I don't expect U3 to be THAT big but concentrating on establishing their own brand of gameplay is far more viable. When the COD formula is no longer hip, EA will be left holding the bag having to remake the MOH brand, AGAIN.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know i'm being selfish and there's other Sony IPs to think about, but devs like ND, SSM and GG should be the ones getting the supersize game budgets these days, rather than the Japanese devs who take too long to put out good but ultimately flawed games (sly dig at PD - don't worry i'm just being cheeky, i love PD's games).

you are being selfish but im just joking because i know you are too

except why shouldnt PD get the supersize game budget when they make the 10+ million seller? who else at sony can do that? even a "demo" like prologue has outsold every other game at sony, not to mention im pretty sure killzone 2 is speculated to cost 65 million to GT5s 60 million

Bah... I wasn't thinking about CoD. I was thinking about R1.

I think the COD effect will eventually wear out, the problem with EA's approach of trying to cannibalize COD's userbase with Medal of Honor is that they're always going to play second fiddle, but in turn MOH has basically lost its own identity.

Uncharted 2's MP is, surprisingly, still averaging 50k per night, obviously not COD numbers but actually it's pretty darn good after more than a year, I think the approach is to build a strong brand that has its own share of the market and grow it with marketing and critical acclaim, as well as strong community features and play modes that will provide longevity.

It's not an impossible task, I wouldn't have believed if someone told me that COD would overtake HALO as the online shooter brand this generation but it happened, I don't expect U3 to be THAT big but concentrating on establishing their own brand of gameplay is far more viable. When the COD formula is no longer hip, EA will be left holding the bag having to remake the MOH brand, AGAIN.
Oh don't get me wrong, I was going off of what EA said about luring COD's userbase. However EA's way of trying to accomplish that is a bit ridiculous, if anything actually doing something different gameplay-wise would be more appealing instead.

I mean would people who eventually get tiring of playing COD go to a game that's COD-like? Maybe EA and developers think something like that might ease people into playing something slightly different, but that's what playing the SP mode of different games is for (well that or bot matches). Every game should try to do what works best for it, and not try to be an imitation of something else.

except why shouldnt PD get the supersize game budget when they make the 10+ million seller? who else at sony can do that? even a "demo" like prologue has outsold every other game at sony, not to mention im pretty sure killzone 2 is speculated to cost 65 million to GT5s 60 million
I'm not gonna criticize PD's budget, but I am curious as to how their development works. I know the Forza guys actually do some type of laser-scan on all the cars they put in the game, but how much behind-the-scenes work went into GT5 compared to the Forza games?

How many things did PD learn from making GT5? I mean ways to streamline developement for the next game (or a remastered version of GT5) and what new features to add to the next retail release?

I'm not gonna criticize PD's budget, but I am curious as to how their development works. I know the Forza guys actually do some type of laser-scan on all the cars they put in the game, but how much behind-the-scenes work went into GT5 compared to the Forza games?

How many things did PD learn from making GT5? I mean ways to streamline developement for the next game (or a remastered version of GT5) and what new features to add to the next retail release?

Assuming that they were a team of around 150 in peak periods in PD and around 300+ in T10 (someone please confirm the numbers) I think they must have met lots of problems. Kazunori in particular I think took lots of tours to visit tracks and get in talks (manufacturers? drivers? driving teams?). I guess the same goes for other team members.

That must have reduced the amount of people available in office actually designing the game at a given time.

The in car modeling is also crazy! I mean...wow! Not sure if that was possible with laser scanning or if lazer scanning is accurate enough to pick small details such as screws outside. The car modeling was probably assigned totally in PD's hands whereas I think T10 outsourced some of the work (hence some strange modeling discrepancies in design of the same car model between gameplay and non gameplay scenes).

Judging from the detailed monitoring of car performance details during a race in a track, shows that there might be also a ton of stuff related to physics going on that we cant quite perceive with our eyes.

The physics according to PD was also redesigned for GT5 and is not simply Proloque's imported in. If Proloque was released in late 2007, beginning of 2008 and GT5 came in late 2010 that suggests going back to the drawing board to finish the physics and everything else pending in 2 years. Probably F3 added additional work into incorporating damage.

They ve got 1000 cars in there. Did they go to the extend as to re-test all the cars to redefine their physics so that they are as accurate to the real counterpart as possible? I dont know

Then its the fact that GT5 is not just a racing game. They put a whole car encyclopedia in there!! For real. All cars I have checked, had their history in their menu and they put lots of car related stuff that are unrelated to playing.

Also Sony's decision to support 1080p and 3D might have caused other hurdles to the optimization and performance of the game which might have put more work in their hands

:LOL: Yeah you got me ;-)

In an ideal world the gaming masses would turn from their wicked ways and actually try to try out different (more interesting) game genres than just modern warefare setting FPS games :rolleyes:

In my ideal world games like Uncharted and Heavy Rain and GOW would sell kajillions and Sony could give those devs infinite budgets :D

In reality those guys do an awesome job with the budgets they have and i look forward to seeing every new entrant into their game series.

I'm definitely pumped to see what U3 and ND has in store for us for MP in U3. Hopefully like what has already been mentioned, they'll stick to the strengths of U2 and build on that rather than trying to 'COD'-ify their game.

The in car modeling is also crazy! I mean...wow! Not sure if that was possible with laser scanning or if lazer scanning is accurate enough to pick small details such as screws outside.

Laser scanned data is only good for reference, and not just because of accuracy (or lack of thereof) but also polygon efficiency. Scanning basically samples the object with a fix granularity, so somewhere the detail isn't enough and at other places it's too much. It's also near impossible to texture map properly.
So scanning is only used as a 3D reference, and usually to create displacement/normal maps by comparing the proper rebuilt model and the source data.

In an ideal world the gaming masses would turn from their wicked ways and actually try to try out different (more interesting) game genres than just modern warefare setting FPS games :rolleyes:
That's my biggest issue with the majority of gamers today. The only games they know of is COD, Halo, Madden, and/or NBA2K.

I would love to have a genuine face-to-face talk with average people who hang around the places I go to on a regular basis, just talking about different gameplay experiences from a number of various video games. Hearing what they hated or enjoyed about those games, giving each other some recommendations on what to play.

I enjoy talking about this stuff on message boards and forums, but to actually encounter it in real life with random people would be amazing to me.

As much as I think GT5 has it's faults when it's good, it's REALLY good.
The detail is second to none, check the Ferrari F40s popup headlights for reference, honestly go check it now.
I don't any other developer out there that would go to this type of detail.
I know people say that was unnecessary and the dev time should have been spent elsewhere but this is what makes PD what they are.
There's no way Microsoft would give turn10 the time to do that.
All GT6 needs to be is a refined GT5 with all premium cars, more courses and an expanded A-spec.

Some tesselation for highest premium car LOD and maybe some exotic mapping and they are pretty much ready.

Back