Tomb Raider

Either there is tessellation or there is not .. Obviously all console versions lack it. maybe the XO has a bit higher polygon count for Lara's model. but that is also highly unlikely. a better explanation would be different application of AA, or simply video artifacts.
Apologies if this was obvious earlier in the thread, but has it been "confirmed" that the XB1 and PS4 versions don't use tessellation? Are there screenshot comparisons which demonstrate this clearly?

See last picture of previous post.

Thanks. Oh yeah, shoulders and ears are where it's evident. Albeit TR's tessellation was always very subtle and not really apparent until close-up cutscenes, odd that they had to remove it as I can't imagine a slightly more rounder shoulder and less pointy ear would have impacted performance that much.

Thanks. Oh yeah, shoulders and ears are where it's evident. Albeit TR's tessellation was always very subtle and not really apparent until close-up cutscenes, odd that they had to remove it as I can't imagine a slightly more rounder shoulder and less pointy ear would have impacted performance that much.

It applies to a fair bit of the level geometry as well. 1 obvious example from the first level are the skulls and bones filling the tunnel which are pretty much all tesselated.

This Xbone screen from Gamersyde looks really blurry
http://abload.de/img/tr8tsew.gif
Very blurry implementation of FXAA, different recording hardware, different image compression or upscaled game?

It's not fair to compare the 2 versions only from this cherry picked picture. A few seconds after this X1 blurry part the X1 game becomes as sharp as the PS4 version.

I have downloaded 2 high quality 60fps/30fps videos from Gamersyde and extensively compared both versions.

Both versions use exactly the same post effect AA, so much identical that I suspect the teams exchanged the same post AA implementation and settings. The AA is really great and does not blur the image like some cheap strong FXAA. Antialiased edges in both versions have exactly this same sharpness (be sure to display this image in a native way by doing right-click-> display image):

Tombraider_Gamerside_Anti_Aliasing_detail_PS4_c.png

As you can see the post effect AA is very effective (even if very light, IMO it's how I like it) and subpixel contrasts in the assets (black to yellow-ish) are still there.

The differences?

- The most noticeable (like after 5 sec of the PS4 video, Wow!) is the framerate which is butter smooth (mostly) on PS4, more cinematic with ghosting on X1.
- Dof is better on PS4, X1 uses instead a whole blur notably seen on the blurry picture or with the ugly face.
- Some textures (like the plane and ocean) are sharper on PS4 but it's rare (I noticed only a difference in those specific textures in fact).
- Brightness settings are very different (PS4 rather dark, X1 bright)

Last edited by a moderator:
Lara looks much better on PS4/X1. Both the new face model is better, and the skin looks much better with SSS. Screen of the PC version look almost creepy/doll like and more uncanny valley.

Hmm...this review paints it as a fabulous SP game. Is it so?

A friend is pestering me to sell my KZSF cheap to him. If this game is good, I might just do it and get this. AC4 lost its appeal very fast for me....will this rivet me? This reviewer seems tothink so. Will need to CGR's review, but I think they left youtube after the change of policies.

EDIT: LOL, found his PS3 version review and within one minute he says "Tomb Raider Rocks".....I guess that settles it :p:

His review is hilarious yet most informative, as always.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Morning all

I read Beyond3D foruns for ages, but this is my first post. I would like an oppinion and some knowledge exchange from you guys.

As you know Tomb Raider on consoles is not a conversion from the PC version, but an evolution from the old console generation game.

With this is mind i have a doubt.

Is the PS4 version an adaptation from the PS3 version and the Xbox One an adaptation of the Xbox 360 version, or both come from the 360 version? Anyone can reply this?

Why do I ask?

Well, Xbox 360 architecture, although not x86, is very similar to the Xbox One architecture. We have a CPU, a GPU and a Unified memory. Also we have a EDRAM for fast acess just like the ESRAM on the Xbox One. Besides both consoles share the same API.

On the other hand, the PS3 architecure is way different. One CPU, 7 "blind" and powerfull PPUs, one GPU, and two separate memory pools.

As such, it appears that PS3 engine conversions require a lot more optimization and work than Xbox 360 engine conversions. And since we are seeing some large dips in FPS on the PS4 version I wonder if this may be the cause.

Hmm...this review paints it as a fabulous SP game. Is it so?

It's a good game, with a strong, substantial single player campaign. What I would say, is that if you're a fan of the old Tomb Raider games then you may be a bit disappointed. It's far more of a shooter now, with the puzzle elements relegated to "do-these-bits-if-you-want-some-additional-rewards" segments.

Good Morning all

I read Beyond3D foruns for ages, but this is my first post. I would like an oppinion and some knowledge exchange from you guys.

As you know Tomb Raider on consoles is not a conversion from the PC version, but an evolution from the old console generation game.

Is the PS4 version an adaptation from the PS3 version and the Xbox One an adaptation of the Xbox 360 version, or both come from the 360 version? Anyone can reply this?

Why do I ask?

Well, Xbox 360 architecture, although not x86, is very similar to the Xbox One architecture. We have a CPU, a GPU and a Unified memory. Also we have a EDRAM for fast acess just like the ESRAM on the Xbox One. Besides both consoles share the same API.

On the other hand, the PS3 architecure is way different. One CPU, 7 "blind" and powerfull PPUs, one GPU, and two separate memory pools.

As such, it appears that PS3 engine conversions require a lot more optimization and work than Xbox 360 engine conversions. And since we are seeing some large dips in FPS on the PS4 version I wonder if this may be the cause.

It wouldn't make any sense to port the last gen version of the game. The current gen consoles are much closer to PC's therefore it makes A LOT more sense to just port the PC version and turn down some of the bells and whistles.

Good Morning all

Why do I ask?

To be honest, I think both the new-gen ports come from the PC version.
Why would they do otherwise? The PC version was made for x86 CPUs and support for high performance GPUs with Shader Model 5, compute shaders for TressFX, tesselation and lots graphics memory for much larger textures -> which is exactly what we got in the new-gen consoles.

And at least the team who worked on the PC port is the same who made the PS4 version.

It's a good game, with a strong, substantial single player campaign. What I would say, is that if you're a fan of the old Tomb Raider games then you may be a bit disappointed. It's far more of a shooter now, with the puzzle elements relegated to "do-these-bits-if-you-want-some-additional-rewards" segments.

Pretty much this. Personally, I thought the shooting elements were okay and I happen to enjoy the exploring / puzzles stuff more, which sadly I think came a bit short on the whole. It's a very similar game to Uncharted 2/3. Less solid, a bit less "blockbluster" like, but very good none-the-less. The story was good too.

I'd give it a 9, which in my book makes it a must buy. And if you liked Uncharted, then even more so.

To be honest, I think both the new-gen ports come from the PC version.
Why would they do otherwise? The PC version was made for x86 CPUs and support for high performance GPUs with Shader Model 5, compute shaders for TressFX, tesselation and lots graphics memory for much larger textures -> which is exactly what we got in the new-gen consoles.

And at least the team who worked on the PC port is the same who made the PS4 version.

Yes that is true. And after I posted i read an Eurogamer article wich seems to give exactly the idea of PC conversion.

Maybe I missunderstood the ideia on "upgrade of last gen console game" with the port of the old engines. But somehow that was the ideia I had.

Thanks for the replys.

Pretty much this. Personally, I thought the shooting elements were okay and I happen to enjoy the exploring / puzzles stuff more, which sadly I think came a bit short on the whole. It's a very similar game to Uncharted 2/3. Less solid, a bit less "blockbluster" like, but very good none-the-less. The story was good too.

I'd give it a 9, which in my book makes it a must buy. And if you liked Uncharted, then even more so.

Thanx for the impressions guys. I do like Uncharteds but these days I get bored if the game doesn't offer something new. Maybe I have played too many games in the past few years or something. Some parts of this feel "same-ish to me but there's anopther part of me really drawn towards playing it. I will get it, I think, although i know reselling it just won't happen as most of the local guys have already played it on the ps3. The cost is making me reconsider the purchase.

BTW,Just watched Gamersyde's "First Kills" video fro the ps4 and the game looks so damn good, almost like Witcher 2 ! I know I will get it :p

BUT : who the hell approved Flourescent green subtitles on black boxes for this game :???: ! Such an ugly thing over an image so beautiful !

finalized DF Face Off
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...b-raider-definitive-edition-next-gen-face-off

Xbone version has simpler TressFX, drop to 900p during some cinematics, lower anisotropic filtering, lower textures sometimes, framedrops to mid20s during combat. They have reccomended PS4 version, even though it doesent have perfect framerate.

But despite the inconsistency in the PS4 experience, we still feel it's the preferable buy. During combat - a key element in the game - we see the Xbox One drop down to the mid 20s, with the PS4's higher frame-rate offering a clear advantage in both smoothness and response, despite the fluctuations - the bottom line is that the differences between 40-50fps on the PS4 are far less of an issue than, say, the 24-30fps drops incurred by the Xbox One.

It'd be nice if folks kept the comparison articles to the actual thread. This is the games forum...

finalized DF Face Off
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...b-raider-definitive-edition-next-gen-face-off

Xbone version has simpler TressFX, drop to 900p during some cinematics, lower anisotropic filtering, lower textures sometimes, framedrops to mid20s during combat. They have reccomended PS4 version, even though it doesent have perfect framerate.

Xbone has simpler tress fx?

Compared to what?

XBox and PS4 use the same tress fx implementation, and tress fx 2.0 although lighter is not simpler than the original version, just optimized.

I do not remember the DF article ever mentioning something about a simpler tress fx.

Back