Tomb Raider

What kind of a rig do you need to get the best settings on the PC version?

Can you get a better looking version of the game on a $500 PC?

On a $750 PC?

On a $1000 PC?

We really need a like for like comparison between the PC and DE version, I believe any slight angle or distance to camera could trigger a difference in LOD, and a lot of the dynamic objects in DE could well be overlooked if not seen in motion. SSS is not just a painted texture, it looked so much better than the PC version in motion, along with the physics based accessories and sweat map which gives Lara a much more realistic look. Her face model and facial features are so vastly improved upon the old model it's not even funny when seeing close up.
The environment and effects also looked massively more dynamic and alive in motion, a very nice graphics boost to my enjoyment of the play through imo. And all those to trade for a tessellated Lara and some missing POM? It's well worth it if you ask me.

Sorry but the new Lara looks so much better.
There's something off with the older version of her face. It looks like a patient that had too many plastic surgery done to her face.

It's well worth it if you ask me.
Worth what? Sixty bucks? I don't think so. Especially not when you're coming from the PC version.

I did the part today where she climbs the radio tower. In 3D. DE got nothin' on that.

I think I'll be content with the version I have. Hopefully they'll have decided on a consistent look to Lara and the world by the time the next game comes around. That one should at least be made with next-gen hardware in mind from the start, so it should be a significant boost over every version of the first game.

Worth what? Sixty bucks? I don't think so. Especially not when you're coming from the PC version.

I did the part today where she climbs the radio tower. In 3D. DE got nothin' on that.

I think I'll be content with the version I have. Hopefully they'll have decided on a consistent look to Lara and the world by the time the next game comes around. That one should at least be made with next-gen hardware in mind from the start, so it should be a significant boost over every version of the first game.

I think he meant worth sacrificing POM and tesselation. not the money.

This. I agree charging another $60 is not worth it if you already run it Ultra setting on PC.

they should atleast keep tesselation for lara model. Now can only hope this gets ported to PC....
I'm sure PS4 could handle it with the cost of some fps, but I'd rather they spend the gpu budget on something far more significant such as a more advanced lighting and shadowing system, more complex particles or fancy gpgpu effects.

I'm sure PS4 could handle it with the cost of some fps, but I'd rather they spend the gpu budget on something far more significant such as a more advanced lighting and shadowing system, more complex particles or fancy gpgpu effects.

I completely disagree.... Tessellation is not just used on Lara's model, it's used pretty much every where and it's very noticeable to anyone who's played the PC version with it enabled.

You're trying too hard, almighty. Seriously, I'm sorry for the polemics, but let's just wait for the DF comparison instead of just throwing killer phrases around. I mean, did you even play the D.E.?

I actually think this talk about "superior version" to be quite emberassing to be honest. Wasn't there a GIF posted before that showed that the PS4 version had a lot more dynamic environment (moving trees, leaves etc) than the more or less static environment of the PC version? No matter how complex it is, this alone puts it above the PC version in my eyes - less texture resolution or not.

Then about the bitching about which model looks better; I mean seriously? To some degree, you guys are probably moaning about what effectively came down to being an artistic choice. They got to work on the game to improve it a bit and this is what it resulted in. And at this point, we're not even considering that these two versions probably have different sources. Where did the PS4 version come from? Is it a mix between PC assets and last gen assets? This is still a port of a last-gen title (well the console version anyway) - so I wouldn't look too far into differences given the budget for this kind of "remix" of an already finished game would be quite limited.

And the most important question: is it out already on PSN? If yes, which store? US, UK? I really need to get this...

I actually think this talk about "superior version" to be quite emberassing to be honest. Wasn't there a GIF posted before that showed that the PS4 version had a lot more dynamic environment (moving trees, leaves etc) than the more or less static environment of the PC version? No matter how complex it is, this alone puts it above the PC version in my eyes - less texture resolution or not.

Then about the bitching about which model looks better; I mean seriously? To some degree, you guys are probably moaning about what effectively came down to being an artistic choice. They got to work on the game to improve it a bit and this is what it resulted in. And at this point, we're not even considering that these two versions probably have different sources. Where did the PS4 version come from? Is it a mix between PC assets and last gen assets? This is still a port of a last-gen title (well the console version anyway) - so I wouldn't look too far into differences given the budget for this kind of "remix" of an already finished game would be quite limited.

And the most important question: is it out already on PSN? If yes, which store? US, UK? I really need to get this...

Comparisons are bound to me made... Especially when its claimed to be the definitive edition.

They've taken more assets out more then they've put in, Lara's new fave is a mixed bag, yes it has SSS but also less.detail by the llok of it too.

But if you've not played it you should... AWESOME game!!

I have actually played and completed it, and I agree, it is really awesome. The surprise game of the year for me, after being burnt so many times by the Tomb Raider games (well everything that came after TR3/4 more or less), which is why I'm actually really looking forward to getting this and replaying it. That, and because there isn't a game like it on PS4 yet. :D

About the comparison; Yeah, I guess so, though I still think the PS4 version looking as good as it does and as close to a brilliant PC version is already a win in my book - as a console gamer. No doubt, if the PC got an update, I'm sure it would look even better. And I'm pretty sure, there's more to the "definitive edition" than just texture resolution, tesselation and some other things. Comparing screens might be great to distinguish which version has better textures and finer details, but the overall improvements might still be lost, like, as I mentioned, the more dynamic environment.

Maybe PC gamers that tend to play in front of a PC screen at a desk are more likely to compare texture resolution and other things because you are already getting a much higher pixel densitiy per inch relative to your viewing distance. On average, a console gamer probably tends to care less about these things, because we are likely to be sitting further away, on a couch in a livingroom, so some of the "fine details" PC gamers can obsess about are lost or less visible/striking. IMO - a dynamic environment is much more striking at distance, then losing a bit of texture resolution is. Now, I'm aware that there are PC gamers like Joker who have a great setup to play like us console gamers do, but he might be more the exception than the rule. If I had to make a trade-off for a console game, I think the Tomb Raider Definitive Edition pretty much got it perfect given the market they are selling to. On the PC perhaps different trade-offs would be made - due to the fact that many play closer to a screen and tend to notice finer details better.

I still think its lesser then the PC version visually but that's just me..

Props to CD for not half arseing the port and actually putting effort into it.

An example others should follow!!

Fingers crossed that the new assets make it over to PC... I game at 2560x1440 so maybe I'm picky about the finer details because I can actually see me more clearly.

Maybe CD should of dropped it 30fps and cranked and kept things like tessellation and other things on?

No way. 60fps for the win, everytime! I'm sure as a PC gamer who gets to enjoy most games at a higher framerate, you'd hopefully agree. Then again, I am a bit bitter when it comes to being shafted on the framerate in so many other games... :devilish:

No way. 60fps for the win, everytime! I'm sure as a PC gamer who gets to enjoy most games at a higher framerate, you'd hopefully agree. Then again, I am a bit bitter when it comes to being shafted on the framerate in so many other games... :devilish:

True but you console gamers don't have the same luxary as us PC gamers when it comes to effects, frame rate and resolution

Tomb Raider is really playable at 30fps so given the choice I would opt for increased IQ over double the frame rate.

You're trying too hard, almighty. Seriously, I'm sorry for the polemics, but let's just wait for the DF comparison instead of just throwing killer phrases around. I mean, did you even play the D.E.?

Agreed.
And even if it does look worse than a 1000€ PC with everything maxed out: so what?
It's still miles away from the sub-par ps360 experience and the DE version is obviously made for people who are exclusively console gamers, not PC+console or exclusive PC gamers.

True but you console gamers don't have the same luxary as us PC gamers when it comes to effects, frame rate and resolution

Tomb Raider is really playable at 30fps so given the choice I would opt for increased IQ over double the frame rate.

Back