Tomb Raider

Nightshade is right about the screengrabs: The person who uploaded this to neogaf explicitly stated that he took the definitive footage from the trailer and not from the game. There are a couple of those unfair comparisons (trailer vs ingame screenshot) floating around the web.

Keep in mind that FXAA kills a little of the texture detail. The D.E. is compared to 4xSSAA (= max settings) shots all the time. 4xSSAA unplayable for everyone that is using something weaker than Titan, you won't even come close to the 60fps mark without using a dual-SLI Titan setup. The practically more relevant FXAA setting will add the same blur to the PC textures.

My screenshot was using FXAA and it has none of this blur you describe.

Even the other shot I posted was using FXAA.

And that footage won't reduce the texture detail to the point where it's clearly obvious the detail was not there to begin with.

Last edited by a moderator:
PC on Ultra + FXAA

2014-01-26_0000978knq.jpg

PS4

amarectv2014-01-2511-3sa62.png

I'll go back and take some shots in the same places on PC...

^ Isee extra geometry in the environment in the PC verson, when they were saying they had added extra geometry in the PS4 version. WTH ?!?!

BTW, this shot almost looks like concept art :
amarectv2014-01-2511-npsas.png

^ Isee extra geometry in the environment in the PC verson, when they were saying they had added extra geometry in the PS4 version. WTH ?!?

They've disabled tessellation so truth be told they've removed a lot more geometry then they've put back in.

IQ is still much better on PC too..... Even when using FXAA like PS4

they took out come geometry and put some in for both versions if you look around. There are spots where the PS3 and 360 versions also have geo that the next gen versions dont and vice versa. Its the same with the textures if your comparing PC(Ultra) and the Def edition.

:smile: you people are hilarious. The cream of the Beyond3D society is in full swing in the previous page. Cjail, :smile: Davros and all...

Babel_17, nice link and video, me liked.

Now a little joke about someone who goes to the cinema:

- Excuse me, can you give me a ticket?

- Is it for The Hobbit?

- No, it is for my girlfriend.

:???:

Renegaderocks, I agree with the theory that 720p and great effects would be a sight to behold.

Last edited by a moderator:
PC on Ultra + FXAA

PS4

Interesting comparison, a few things strike me.

1. Image quality looks about the same to me
2. There is more cloth on the hanging cable on the PS4 version
3. The large shadow to the left of Lara is soft on the PC but hard edged on the PS4
4. Lara actually looks a little more detailed on the PC version but it's difficult to tell

Nightshade is right about the screengrabs: The person who uploaded this to neogaf explicitly stated that he took the definitive footage from the trailer and not from the game. There are a couple of those unfair comparisons (trailer vs ingame screenshot) floating around the web.

Keep in mind that FXAA kills a little of the texture detail. The D.E. is compared to 4xSSAA (= max settings) shots all the time. 4xSSAA unplayable for everyone that is using something weaker than Titan, you won't even come close to the 60fps mark without using a dual-SLI Titan setup. The practically more relevant FXAA setting will add the same blur to the PC textures.

You're right, the SSAA options are performance killers although 2xSSAA is manageable and even at that setting the image quality is spectacular. Well in excess of the FXAA implementation.

Interesting comparison, a few things strike me.

1. Image quality looks about the same to me
2. There is more cloth on the hanging cable on the PS4 version
3. The large shadow to the left of Lara is soft on the PC but hard edged on the PS4
4. Lara actually looks a little more detailed on the PC version but it's difficult to tell

1. Really? I think the PC shot looks miles a head and look a lot cleaner

4. Again I think the sharper and cleaner IQ on the PC helps bring out the extra details better in Lara, think the textures might be a little high resolution too IMO.

4. Again I think the sharper and cleaner IQ on the PC helps bring out the extra details better in Lara, think the textures might be a little high resolution too IMO.

There seems to be generally more detail in the PC model but I guess this could be an artistic decision rather than a performance related one. For example Lara's ripped top, the gloves, the greater detail on the pants etc..

I was worried. I have seen JPEGs of this game sharper than those PNGs. It's like they added 1 layer of vaseline. Not fair to use those pics for comparison purpose indeed.

Antialiasing is great on PS4, I'm impressed. This gives me hope that PS4 version of Ground Zeroes will also have pristine IQ.

Do you guys really prefer the skin on the definitive version? I have a feeling if I posted both of those pics on an a/v or color techniques forum then would say the color grading is way off on the definitive version.

They've boosted the saturation and contrast, which clearly spits in the face of whoever designed the look of the original version of the game. I guess they think that brighter colors and darker shadows is part of the advancements of next-gen hardware.

I think Lara was the only one to get the SSS treatment, and I've yet to see any indications of what the SSS is actually doing. The only difference I see is the aforementioned saturation boost, which has nothing to do with SSS.

Do you guys really prefer the skin on the definitive version? I have a feeling if I posted both of those pics on an a/v or color techniques forum then would say the color grading is way off on the definitive version.

They've boosted the saturation and contrast, which clearly spits in the face of whoever designed the look of the original version of the game. I guess they think that brighter colors and darker shadows is part of the advancements of next-gen hardware.

I think Lara was the only one to get the SSS treatment, and I've yet to see any indications of what the SSS is actually doing. The only difference I see is the aforementioned saturation boost, which has nothing to do with SSS.

Agreed, PC version of Lara is miles better then the 'newer' version.

Even the resolution on this 'newer' Lara looks lower then the PC version.

Was the SSS worth the lower quality SSAO and omission of other effects? Because I don't think it was at all.

It's a matter of preference... I prefer the new model in most of the shots I've seen.

As for the skin, I do think that it's a bit over-saturated in the DE, but at the same time, I think the original is a bit washed out. I do prefer the shaders / subsurface scattering in the DE.

Overall, there's pros and cons to both versions.

Back