Tomb Raider

I've never personally really cared about 3D, whether its on a TV or on a monitor. Gimmicks are everywhere to distract from the barren land of innovation that we call the gaming industry these days, and i don't like it.

I don't see how you can dismiss it as a gimmick while at the same time praising the graphical upgrades of the definitive edition. Don't get me wrong, I praise those upgrades too, some of them are awesome, but all they are is extra visual effects. What do you think 3D is? And it's only my opinion but when well implemented its a far more impactful effect than those added to the definitive edition (or the PC version) over the PS360 version.

For one (and I don't understand the physics behind this) but at certain convergence settings it can make an already large 50 degree fov on a 27" monitor feel like you're playing on a cinema screen - i.e. it somehow fools you into thinking you're looking at a much larger screen than you are. Surely as gamers we can all agree that bigger perceived screen size is universally better. And that's before you consider the effect of the 3d itself.

Anyone wanna post a picture of TR on PS4 and see if POM is being used like in this picture I just took

5AB97043E0795F0AA6429A8DFC3BFDDA520FFFC1

There's an article here which talks a little about the definitive edition:

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/tomb-raider-definitive-edition-ps4-review-challenging-the-pc

They did talk about the change to her face saying:

Her new face is far more emotive, but this means greater highs and lower lows. In certain scenes, you can really see what new Lara is feeling, making the reasons for the change readily apparent.

So maybe the changes to her face were required to go with some new facial emotions system them have in place.

That's dialogue from the actor Dean Stockwell, playing the character Cavil, on the TV show, Battlestar Galactica.

If you haven't seen the show to the end then be warned, the link has a big spoiler.

http://disquiet.com/2009/02/21/quote-of-the-week-stockwells-supernova/

I hope I didn't disrupt this thread!

Dude I truly thank you for that. The dialoque is an amazing spiritual and philosophical piece of work which contains so many amazing and deep existential questions about reality and human consciousness. It may be from a movie but whoever wrote that dialoque created sonething valuable. :)

While it's better then PS360 it's still not up to PC standard by the looks of it.

2424422-4405281814-SXXXr.gif

2424424-0239598468-Fjwcw.gif

Difference in texture detail in the first picture is very apparent and Lara in the PC looks much better, PS4 Lara looks deformed in comparison.

Looks like her hair has more strands on PS4 though, maybe using TressFX 2.0?
Inaccurate and unfair comparison, the definitive version shots are screen grabs from a video while the PC version is a direct framegrab, of course the textures would look muddier when you do that.

Inaccurate and unfair comparison, the definitive version shots are screen grabs from a video while the PC version is a direct framegrab, of course the textures would look muddier when you do that.

Dude get out..... Never have I heard such a childish excuse.

It's clearly obvious to anyone with eyesight that the textures are lower resolution and detail..... Video grab or not.

Nightshade is right about the screengrabs: The person who uploaded this to neogaf explicitly stated that he took the definitive footage from the trailer and not from the game. There are a couple of those unfair comparisons (trailer vs ingame screenshot) floating around the web.

Keep in mind that FXAA kills a little of the texture detail. The D.E. is compared to 4xSSAA (= max settings) shots all the time. 4xSSAA unplayable for everyone that is using something weaker than Titan, you won't even come close to the 60fps mark without using a dual-SLI Titan setup. The practically more relevant FXAA setting will add the same blur to the PC textures.

Wow, those screens look better than anything else I've seen posted here. 60fps too. I'm more tempted with this than Thief.

the sense of atmosphere in this game is very very good, the scale of objects doesn't feel game-ish but real world like. But still looks last gen in every way.

I might just end up getting it if I get impressed by the levels, (the IQ is pretty clean in those shots)....and if theres no other game on ps4 for long.....gotta stay strong !

Last edited by a moderator:
Back