Tomb Raider

Apart from the first post; all of the pictures here, the PS4 / Xbox One versions look better. Less... gamey.

I think the original face model is better in the original and overall looks better on the PC thanks to the vastly superior AO as shown in post 400. That said, Rangers post above shows some significantly enhanced environment effects which definitely give the graphics a nice boost.

This is, all academic however. Try playing both in Stereoscopic 3D and then judge which looks better.

I think the original face model is better in the original and overall looks better on the PC thanks to the vastly superior AO as shown in post 400. That said, Rangers post above shows some significantly enhanced environment effects which definitely give the graphics a nice boost.

This is, all academic however. Try playing both in Stereoscopic 3D and then judge which looks better.

I have a rather fancy 3D TV and I'm afraid to say that it doesn't really add much for me. I'm not sold on it in the slightest, for games or for films. Both look better in 2D for me. I might change my tune with VR, only I haven't tried in for 20+ years.

So they've added..

The good..

SSS on Lara
Re-made Lara's head from the ground up
Added environmental effects like moving tree's
Tweaked the particle system slightly
Moved to TressFX2.0
Added physics on Lara's gadgets and equipments
60fps! Running this game on PC with decent settings and TressFX on is not easy

The bad..

Completely removed tessellation
Completely removed POM
Textures still not level with PC version
Reduced SSAO quality
Reduced TressFX quality
Reduced animation quality on TressFX
FXAA implementation doesn't seem to be as quality as the PC version

Have a missed anything?

PS4 will allow video captuer of games over HDMI, but not at launch
Kotaku: Tomb Raider on PS4 is more definite than on Xbox One
The PS4 sadly doesn't offer any app like FRAPS to tell me what frame rate my games are running, and my retail PS4 has copy protection so I can't capture video on my own
I guess Sony have not given any timetable about dropping HDCP from game signal. That mysterious coming v1+ new features -patch would be a gift for all random resolutiongate websites. Sony should see this free PR stunt.

I have a rather fancy 3D TV and I'm afraid to say that it doesn't really add much for me. I'm not sold on it in the slightest, for games or for films. Both look better in 2D for me. I might change my tune with VR, only I haven't tried in for 20+ years.

Console gaming in 3d using re-projection (in most cases) on a TV is in no way comparable to a proper 3D Vision experience.

I also have a nice 3D TV and have made direct comparisons plenty of times. On the TV (using 3DTV Play) you merely add a bit of depth to the scene. It looks good but doesn't change an awful lot. With 3D Vision the game literally becomes a fully realised 3D world right in front of you. The effect is simply stunning, especially in Tombraider which is one of the best examples.

Remodelled Face looks good, but whats with the low poly body (and boobs) ? Couldn't they spare some polys for the body when KZSF is throwing out polys as if it doesn't matter anymore !
And no POM. I think POM could definitely remove some of the last gen flatness. Would help in BF4 too.
And throw in a better lighting system or atleast some high quality AO.....then I will buy it .even at full price.

Console gaming in 3d using re-projection (in most cases) on a TV is in no way comparable to a proper 3D Vision experience.

I also have a nice 3D TV and have made direct comparisons plenty of times. On the TV (using 3DTV Play) you merely add a bit of depth to the scene. It looks good but doesn't change an awful lot. With 3D Vision the game literally becomes a fully realised 3D world right in front of you. The effect is simply stunning, especially in Tombraider which is one of the best examples.

I have played plenty of games that ARE NOT reprojection. I still prefer not to use it. If I had time I'd love to argue the subject with you, but I don't.

I presume you play all your games in 3D? As I'm sure Nvidia drivers allow for it.

I have played plenty of games that ARE NOT reprojection. I still prefer not to use it. If I had time I'd love to argue the subject with you, but I don't.

What games? On what systems? At what settings? What FOV? Have you ever played Tombraider in 3D vision? Because that's what we're discussing here.

I presume you play all your games in 3D? As I'm sure Nvidia drivers allow for it.

Of what relevance doe that have to Tombraider looking vastly better in 3D than 2D? No I don't play all my games in 3D, Nvidia drivers only allow this in roughly half of the games I've played over the last year which is still a vastly greater number than any other system offers. Where 3D is an option, yes I do always play games in 3D. Because 3D vision with a 50 degree FOV looks much better than 2D under the same circumstances.

Oh and I'm under the impression this is a console gaming thread? Settings, 3D vision and PCs appear to have little relevance here. Or am I completely wrong with that assumption?

GOW3, Black Ops (360). Trine 2 on the PS4.

I used to be a PC gamer 10+ years ago and I used to worry about the same things as you. Thankfully I now prefer console gaming for much ease of use. Might it be best to discuss the pros of 3D vision on an Nvidia thread?

So they've added..

The good..

SSS on Lara
Re-made Lara's head from the ground up
Added environmental effects like moving tree's
Tweaked the particle system slightly
Moved to TressFX2.0
Added physics on Lara's gadgets and equipments
60fps! Running this game on PC with decent settings and TressFX on is not easy

The bad..

Completely removed tessellation
Completely removed POM
Textures still not level with PC version
Reduced SSAO quality
Reduced TressFX quality
Reduced animation quality on TressFX
FXAA implementation doesn't seem to be as quality as the PC version

Have a missed anything?

The needed hardware to run the PC Version at the Console settings to make it a technical interesting comparison to the consoles? :)

Comparing it to the PC is really not interesting unless we know what hardware we are comparing it to, right?

http://www.techspot.com/review/645-tomb-raider-performance/page2.html

The needed hardware to run the PC Version at the Console settings to make it a technical interesting comparison to the consoles? :)

Comparing it to the PC is really not interesting unless we know what hardware we are comparing it to, right?

The only thing that you would struggle with on PC is TressFX on the lower end cards...

Ultra at 1080p without TressFX would easily handled by a 7850 but;

1. PS4 still isn't running settings equivalent to PC on Ultra

2. Has a toned down SSAO solution and lower quality TressFX making a true comparison is going to be very hard.

The only thing that you would struggle with on PC is TressFX on the lower end cards...

Ultra at 1080p without TressFX would easily handled by a 7850 but;

1. PS4 still isn't running settings equivalent to PC on Ultra

2. Has a toned down SSAO solution and lower quality TressFX making a true comparison is going to be very hard.

So you would compare the performance to a $300 card?

That's a pretty tough comparison to make given they're virtually different games graphically speaking. Both do things that the other doesn't. That said I can max out the PC version on my 670 at 1080p at aound 40-50 fps.

EDIT: the performance in those benchmarks is actually much lower than it should be. I think the game got a patch not long after launch which greatly improved the performance but my 670 averages 54fps at "ultimate" settings in the built in benchmark and it's not far off that in the first level either which is what they are using for those benchmarks.

So you would compare the performance to a $300 card?

I wouldn't.... a $300 card would happily eat what ever PS4 is doing in Tomb Raider..

Heck I'm on a single 7970 and running Ultra+TressFX at 2560x1440 it runs between 45-80fps depending on the scene.

The only reason PS4 is doing what it's doing is because they've turned features completely off or toned down things and used the performance gained for SSS and other little bits.

If it was running everything at PC ULTRA settings and all the extras like SSS and such then I would be impressed.

SSS only affects Lara but they've turned off Tessellation, POM and toned down SSAO...

Those 3 things affect the whole scene of the game but they're sacrificed them arguably for SSS which only affects one object.

GOW3, Black Ops (360). Trine 2 on the PS4.

Trine 2 looks utterly spectacular in 3D, the implementation is certainly on par with Tombraider. Everyone's entitled to an opinion but suggesting it actually looks better in 2D is analogous to suggesting the PS360 version of Tombraider looks better than the definitive edition.

GOW and black ops are different because they have to compromise graphical settings to run in 3D (on consoles) so in that case it may not be worth it.

I've never personally really cared about 3D, whether its on a TV or on a monitor. Gimmicks are everywhere to distract from the barren land of innovation that we call the gaming industry these days, and i don't like it.

What i do like, is the effort the devs have put into this upgraded version of TR. It seems to be a huge upgrade from the two versions i played last year on 360 and PS3 respectively. Good solid effort. On the other hand, its probably also fair to say that regardless of the bells and whistles, this is still a 360 game at heart. Can't wait to see what CD can do without the 7th gen weighing down everything.

Tomb Raider in 3D on PC is amazing. If you get a "meh" vibe from it, you're doing it wrong.
If the game features proper 3D on the Xbox One I might re-consider pre-ordering it again. I cancelled my pre-order following the rumours.

I have a 3DTV and active 3D glasses and I want to use them as much as possible.

I'd rather prefer they went with 100% solid 60 fps and less resolution on the Xbox One.

We are humans, not eagles, after all. I watched a documentary about the Golden Eagle, and they are renowned for their excellent eyesight.

They eyesight has 3 times the resolution of human sight, and can tell much more colours.

Back