Tomb Raider

UpgeoKy.jpg

Im still not sure why did they change shape of her face, but the new detail and rendering is very nice.

While it's better then PS360 it's still not up to PC standard by the looks of it.

http://static.gamespot.com/uploads/original/1389/13892752/2424422-4405281814-SXXXr.gif[/mg]

[img]http://static.gamespot.com/uploads/original/1389/13892752/2424424-0239598468-Fjwcw.gif[/mg]

Difference in texture detail in the first picture is very apparent and Lara in the PC looks much better, PS4 Lara looks deformed in comparison.

Looks like her hair has more strands on PS4 though, maybe using TressFX 2.0?[/QUOTE]
Skin shaders look better on PS4 IMO. It's not really shown on that pic, but there are others at GAF. I think there will be other differences. Will wait for DF.

Looks like she is now using volumizing shampoo on the definitive edition. I'd love to one day hear the logic as to why they changed her face, that still doesn't make any sense to me. Has any article come out explaining why they did that? My only guess is maybe her previous face made her look a touch older then they wanted, like she looked more woman than girl than they would have preferred so they tweaked it to fix that but who knows.

Who can blame him, his product is getting school'd by a 3rd party game, nothing to weird in his stance, i would be surprised if he said anything else.

He also noted of 12 third party multiplats released (I'm assuming pre Raider), 9 are basically identical only 3 show a difference, and that he thinks Ryse is the best looking next gen game bar none (certainly arguable)

So I think he makes decent points overall. But OTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

Even for Raider, I dont think the difference is particularly meaningful. Assuming the same graphics basically, the same 1080P, etc. Personally I dont even think I can tell the diff between 60 and 30 (and no I'm not just saying that because of recent circumstances, always been the case, but that's just for me). On PC, my longtime practice has been to turn game effects up until the game runs 25-30 FPS in campaign, that is fine and playable for me.

So basically 1080P/assumedly identical visuals is all I care about for TR really.

A guy on GAF has purchased the X1 version, and he says he will post pics soon.

Edit: Maybe he only meant pictures of the box lol because he posted this

nayo.jpg

Here is X1 single player video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hudsyQLXadg&feature=youtu.be

Albert Penello has talked about the Tomb Raider controversy.

He insists on the fact that the Xbox One isn't far behind at all compared to the PS4, saying that he knows information the general public doesn't know, and things going on behind the scenes.

http://www.totalxbox.com/70047/xbox...nt-all-that-great-insists-microsofts-penello/

Microsoft have always defined the Xbox One as a console whose specs and architecture are about "agility and brains", not "brute force". Just based on elegance.

http://www.totalxbox.com/54570/xbox-one-specs-are-about-agility-and-brains-not-brute-force/

This is the same guy who said we wouldn't see any differences at launch on multi-platform titles and yet we do.... MS was smart to stop talking about graphics not sure why they feel the need to start this up again.....

He also noted of 12 third party multiplats released (I'm assuming pre Raider), 9 are basically identical only 3 show a difference, and that he thinks Ryse is the best looking next gen game bar none (certainly arguable)

So I think he makes decent points overall. But OTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

He also said there isn't a 30% difference in power, do you believe that too? Seriously he should just shut up now.

Skin shaders look better on PS4 IMO. It's not really shown on that pic, but there are others at GAF. I think there will be other differences. Will wait for DF.

Now I don't think they do..... Played the PC all the way through at 2560x1440 with everything on Ultra + SSAA and it's mind blow-inly good looking.

Ultimate Edition in my opinion hasn't shown anything that makes it look on par with the PC version let alone surpass it in anyway.

Can't understand why the textures on the environment are not the same as PC though... Consoles have the RAM for them and should have the ALU and TMU power to process them I would think.

Now I don't think they do..... Played the PC all the way through at 2560x1440 with everything on Ultra + SSAA and it's mind blow-inly good looking.

Ultimate Edition in my opinion hasn't shown anything that makes it look on par with the PC version let alone surpass it in anyway.

Can't understand why the textures on the environment are not the same as PC though... Consoles have the RAM for them and should have the ALU and TMU power to process them I would think.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=98309885#post98309885

IIRC, Scot Amos said that subsurface scattering is exclusive to the definitive version, and I think it adds nice depth to the skin.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=98309885#post98309885

IIRC, Scot Amos said that subsurface scattering is exclusive to the definitive version, and I think it adds nice depth to the skin.

It appears so but I still prefer the more unified look of the PC version, and as pointed out the PS4 version has greatly reduced TressFX precision and animation compared to the PC version.

PS4 also appears to the missing the tessellation and parallax mapping on surfaces too, this is especially noticeable in the first stage of the game.

Maybe they used all the ALU power for sub-surface scattering instead of using it for POM.

Watching the presentation video again where they're talking about how they re-modelled the head from the ground, you can clearly see the extra polygons are doing a nice job, they are however completely ruined though by the angular and pointy body modelling.

I think the PC version, while missing sub-surface scattering is overall the much better model due to more uniform modelling.

PC ( Ultra settings )

screenshots_00001kukcs.png

PS4

UpgeoKy.jpg

Just noticed another thing removed from the PS4 version, her hair doesn't cast self shadows like it does in the PC version.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just noticed another thing removed from the PS4 version, her hair doesn't cast self shadows like it does in the PC version.

That might depend on the light source. The scene with her cranking the radio has SS.

Woa, isn't there something weird going on with her eyes on that last screen?

Seems to be a running theme... Not that the original was always perfect either.

If you're willing to pay, PC will always be king.

Anyways the shots showing worse textures on PS4 could be bugs, bad quality pics, or what have you. Probably best to wait on DF.

It appears so but I still prefer the more unified look of the PC version, and as pointed out the PS4 version has greatly reduced TressFX precision and animation compared to the PC version.

PS4 also appears to the missing the tessellation and parallax mapping on surfaces too, this is especially noticeable in the first stage of the game.

Maybe they used all the ALU power for sub-surface scattering instead of using it for POM.

Watching the presentation video again where they're talking about how they re-modelled the head from the ground, you can clearly see the extra polygons are doing a nice job, they are however completely ruined though by the angular and pointy body modelling.

I think the PC version, while missing sub-surface scattering is overall the much better model due to more uniform modelling.

PC ( Ultra settings )

screenshots_00001kukcs.png

PS4

UpgeoKy.jpg

I wholeheartedly disagree. Having SSS alone makes the model appear so much more life like and vibrant instead of a dried up wooden look, hat's a huge difference in my book. A little more rounded edge on the PC version sure helps but is nowhere near making a significant difference especially in motion, I'd say tessellation is good resources wasted as I have noticed lately. The new tressfx does have self shadow and that shot must have a bad lighting position. Here's an example.
amarectv2014-01-2414-f3up0.png

Speaking of Tressfx, the new one appeared to be not as floaty which also makes sense because the old one looks like she's underwater all the time. I think it's more like change of property rather than precision, since the new one does look to have more hair strands to boost.

ku-xlarge.gif

ku-xlarge.gif

PC top Xone bottom via Kotaku (they couldn't capture off their PS4 due to copy protection, nice going Sony).

I have to say a lot of visual effects nowdays get into diminishing returns, but the swaying trees is an amazingly large improvement. If devs can focus more on things like this, they should.

Apart from the first post; all of the pictures here, the PS4 / Xbox One versions look better. Less... gamey.

Speaking of Tressfx, the new one appeared to be not as floaty which also makes sense because the old one looks like she's underwater all the time.

I really don't get where people are getting this idea from because it really doesn't. I'll be happy to post a video to prove that if needs be. GeForce Experience is awesome!

Back