Tomb Raider

I still prefer they push the PS4 version's visual to 100% at 1080p/30fps, maybe 720p on the Bone. I'm perfectly fine with 30fps for 3rd person action games like this so more graphics the merrier. Oh well it bodes well for the sequel for a massive graphics upgrade at least on the PS4.

Me too. I'd much rather see 1080/30 on Xbone than say, 720 (or 900)/60.

Nah. I'd happily take the 99% at 60fps. Any day. For all I care, the Xbox One version could look better at 1080/30, I'd still take the 60fps one, anyday.

I still prefer they push the PS4 version's visual to 100% at 1080p/30fps, maybe 720p on the Bone. I'm perfectly fine with 30fps for 3rd person action games like this so more graphics the merrier. Oh well it bodes well for the sequel for a massive graphics upgrade at least on the PS4.

But that would leave them with a sub 20 fps game on the XB1 or more work to tailor the graphics exactly for each console. This is a cheap and easy solution, same graphics higher refresh on the PS4....

Well it better be stable 60fps cause I much, much rather have perfect, no tearing 30fps than variable 60fps with tearing. No contest whatsoever.

Well it better be stable 60fps cause I much, much rather have perfect, no tearing 30fps than variable 60fps with tearing. No contest whatsoever.

User on GAF who reported this framerate situation talked about his experience playing PS4 version this week, he did not notice any tearing/slowdowns.

When was the last time you had a perfect framerate experience? Maybe the dips are more noticable at 60fps, than 30fps, but it's been a long time since I played something that I didn't notice a few drops here and there. Resogun has dips (even if hardly noticable, but more so when playing co-op), even Star Dust HD had some if I recall correctly (though very very rare to the point you'd still call it 'perfect').

With games, there are just too many factors that could blow the threshold of time required to calculate a frame. Take MGS2 for example; On the whole a flawless 60fps experience, yet there's this scene with around 100 soldiers standing there. If you threw a stun grenade into the crowd, the game would pretty much dip to nearly a complete halt as each of the hundred soldiers would react to the grenade being thrown with all the "!" popping up over their head. Quite comical actually, that part of the game. :LOL:

If the dev states 60fps at 99%, it qualifies to me as perfect as any current shooter that offers a 60fps experience. BF4, all the CoD (which do have framerate drops here and there).

And the most sad thing is; even the games that target 30fps or were dropped to 30fps (after aiming to be 60fps) have drops too and rarely offer a "perfect" consistent framerate. Perhaps the tolerance level there is just higher because everything is more or less juddery, so a bit more juddery is less of an illusion breaker than having a perfect smooth experience with a few dips here and there.

When was the last time you had a perfect framerate experience? Maybe the dips are more noticable at 60fps, than 30fps, but it's been a long time since I played something that I didn't notice a few drops here and there. Resogun has dips (even if hardly noticable, but more so when playing co-op), even Star Dust HD had some if I recall correctly (though very very rare to the point you'd still call it 'perfect').

With games, there are just too many factors that could blow the threshold of time required to calculate a frame. Take MGS2 for example; On the whole a flawless 60fps experience, yet there's this scene with around 100 soldiers standing there. If you threw a stun grenade into the crowd, the game would pretty much dip to nearly a complete halt as each of the hundred soldiers would react to the grenade being thrown with all the "!" popping up over their head. Quite comical actually, that part of the game. :LOL:

If the dev states 60fps at 99%, it qualifies to me as perfect as any current shooter that offers a 60fps experience. BF4, all the CoD (which do have framerate drops here and there).

And the most sad thing is; even the games that target 30fps or were dropped to 30fps (after aiming to be 60fps) have drops too and rarely offer a "perfect" consistent framerate. Perhaps the tolerance level there is just higher because everything is more or less juddery, so a bit more juddery is less of an illusion breaker than having a perfect smooth experience with a few dips here and there.

Aaah! My bad - the way I read it was that there was a 99% chance that the game would be 60fps (no word on how stable).
Not that it's running at 60fps 99% of the time, which sounds much better. :D

I just can't deal with tearing and slowdowns. Ain't nobody got time for that!

Aaah! My bad - the way I read it was that there was a 99% chance that the game would be 60fps (no word on how stable).
Not that it's running at 60fps 99% of the time, which sounds much better. :D

I just can't deal with tearing and slowdowns. Ain't nobody got time for that!

Ditto. I'm way more sensitive to tearing than framerate and I've avoided every PS3 game that had tearing except at the very top or very bottom where it was virtually unnoticeable. The original Assassin's Creed on PS3 was unplayable, for me, for this very reason, there was torn frames all over the place.

I much prefer a dropped frame than a torn one.

I was already on the fence about re-buying Tomb Raider on PS4, this has tipped me onto the 'buy' side of that fence.

They already jiggle in the PC version.

But only just a little bit. It's a super-constrictive and super-resistant bra.
That bra she wears in the game is miraculous. Lara takes tons of physical punishment and pretty much everything is torn apart in that game -> except for that friggin' bra.

My guess is that it's made of the same mythical fabric that is used in Bruce Banner's pants.

It's like square-enix want us to know there are boobs and there are physics in boobs, but there's no way in hell they'll let anyone ever think or comment that this new Tomb Raider has any kind of sexual fan service.
That's fine and all, but if they wanted realism, they should've made her change clothes (offscreen) once or twice during the game.

She ought to have plenty of leaves and string, or deerskin
and human
to come up with something. *cough* :p Even a lot of red/brown dye.

But only just a little bit. It's a super-constrictive and super-resistant bra.
That bra she wears in the game is miraculous. Lara takes tons of physical punishment and pretty much everything is torn apart in that game -> except for that friggin' bra.

My guess is that it's made of the same mythical fabric that is used in Bruce Banner's pants.

It's like square-enix want us to know there are boobs and there are physics in boobs, but there's no way in hell they'll let anyone ever think or comment that this new Tomb Raider has any kind of sexual fan service.
That's fine and all, but if they wanted realism, they should've made her change clothes (offscreen) once or twice during the game.

Well in reality, those things wouldn't even stay in her little skimpy vest. They'd be out after 2 seconds. Surely we don't want that? Eww??

Me too. I'd much rather see 1080/30 on Xbone than say, 720 (or 900)/60.

Same, this game was made with 30fps in mind and is not a twitch shooter or fighting game. You can always see the resolution improvement, but to "feel" the frame rate might be harder.

I think most of us console owners "feel the difference" in generations more with resolution upgrades than 60fps because obviously 60fps hasn't been a standard for generations, whereas resolutions over the past few gens have usually gone up a few notches each time. You can make a 60fps game at 720p on 360 and PS3 if you wanted. Not so much 1080p, because of the rop and bandwidth situation.

Of course if its possible, i'll certainly take 60fps as well as the resolution upgrade. Hence why i'm excited about Deep Down and now more hyped about this game :p

Same, this game was made with 30fps in mind and is not a twitch shooter or fighting game. You can always see the resolution improvement, but to "feel" the frame rate might be harder.

It wasn't made with 30 fps in mind, that was just the target the devs chose for the limited hardware they were working on.

I think most of us console owners "feel the difference" in generations more with resolution upgrades than 60fps because obviously 60fps hasn't been a standard for generations

This is how I felt but if 60fps is going to be more prevalent on PS4 (Resogun, Knack (30-60fps), Battlefield 4, Flower, Killzone SF MP, now Tomb Raider) we could be seeing a more obvious difference. Of course of Xbox Ones games are consistently going 30fps then it's a case of not missing what you didn't have - much like some resolution and lots of alpha blending on PS3!

I guess the game is GPU limited. FPS difference is much harder usually because the CPUs are almost identical unless Sony just unlocked a core

http://www.vg247.com/2014/01/23/tom...onfirmed-at-60fps-xbox-one-still-unconfirmed/

It was confirmed in a GamesRadar livestream by executive producer Scott Amos.

During the stream he addressed claims the game was locked at 30FPS on both formats and explained, “Uh, no, I mean, you’re seeing it right here. So, there definitely, you know, one of the things that people had asked, they had heard various quotes, actually heard some misquotes, our goal from the beginning was always to be 1080p gameplay at 30 frames per second minimum.

Some people have taken that and misconstrued like, ‘Oh, it’s locked to 30!’ Actually, no, it’s literally, the game was always from the beginning, our absolute requirement was gameplay at 1080p and minimum 30 frames per second. And anything past that was gravy. That’s the kind of game we are, the kind of world we are, and as you’re sitting here looking at it, like we said on the PS4, this is running at 60.”

It wasn't made with 30 fps in mind, that was just the target the devs chose for the limited hardware they were working on.

Which means if they wanted 60fps they would have made concessions like COD, Forza or other 60fps games. They didn't design the game around low latency controls.

60 fps at 1080p with the graphical enhancements is very impressive. They must have done a lot of optimisation over the PC version.

Personally I'd take 1080p over 60fps in this game if I had to choose. I guess PS4 owners are lucky enough not to have to.

Perfect bo.....phisics simulation :)
p0nl.gif

Back