Tomb Raider

^ Considering Tomb Raider 2013 was literally built on 360 dev kits by Crystal D., with the PC and PS3 versions both being farmed out to other developers for porting, that's a bit disingenuous to say. These limits you speak of are inherent in the console development process, and have been since they have began to exist. I don't see how a new gen changes what's always been. Consoles are what they are. You walk into this field knowing that.

The fact of the matter is, most AAA multiplats are console ports, that's how it is. The reason why PC gamers get all these settings is to adapt to a variety of hardware configurations inherent to the PC platform. Something that devs who work on consoles for the base game don't ever want to think about. They make a game for base specs, and maybe add options based on someone who owns a PC who can power past those base limits they've set on the game design. Or do what Crystal Dynamics did and farm it out to another dev to make those add on's. They partnered with AMD for tressfx, and used it on PC in the first version of the game specifically for betaing it for next gen as far as i know.

The point i'm trying to make here is, no console developer wants the hassle of optimizing more than they need to. Console's have fixed limits, the devs adapt precisely what they need to in order to go for those limits. Hence why many games are hardlocked to 30fps even in the frames of animation. The only games i've ever heard of that even give you something remotely similar to PC settings is the Bioshock games, and that's simply turning off Vsynch(which was my preferred way of playing both Bio 1 and Infinite on 360 i'll admit)

^ Considering Tomb Raider 2013 was literally built on 360 dev kits by Crystal D., with the PC and PS3 versions both being farmed out to other developers for porting, that's a bit disingenuous to say. These limits you speak of are inherent in the console development process, and have been since they have began to exist. I don't see how a new gen changes what's always been. Consoles are what they are. You walk into this field knowing that.

The fact of the matter is, most AAA multiplats are console ports, that's how it is. The reason why PC gamers get all these settings is to adapt to a variety of hardware configurations inherent to the PC platform. Something that devs who work on consoles for the base game don't ever want to think about. They make a game for base specs, and maybe add options based on someone who owns a PC who can power past those base limits they've set on the game design. Or do what Crystal Dynamics did and farm it out to another dev to make those add on's. They partnered with AMD for tressfx, and used it on PC in the first version of the game specifically for betaing it for next gen as far as i know.

Sure but none of that changes the other fact of the matter which is developers rarely ever intend a game to be 30fps, they just begrudgingly accept 30fps because there often is no choice on console. If after completion of a game any dev house could add /60fps to their list of compiler switches you can bet your bottom dollar that 99% of them would because that's how they all want to play it regardless of what platform development started on. That Tomb Raider was originally coded on a 360 doesn't mean that 30fps is how they ever intended it to be, they just got it working at 30fps because they had to.

To use a car analogy since ERP loves them so much, it's like when a car maker shows a sneak preview of a car at a trade show and it looks all cool, has huge wheels, massive engine and so on. That's how the designers intended it to be, but that can't work in the consumer market. So upon release the car is diluted down to a more consumer friendly format. It's the same with games, there's an original spec/idea and it has to get diluted down to console level for consumers to be able to accept it. It's not what the game was originally intended to be even if development was done entirely on the 360, but it's what it had to be to work on the 360.

Strictly speaking none of the versions are probably exactly what the original vision was since stuff always gets cut due to time, and some visual ideas simply can't be executed even on strong pc hardware. But if you want to get closest to the original vision then you need to see it on strong pc hardware.

Well that's correct. But we're still back where we started. Consoles have fixed limits. Devs go into console development coding exactly for those limits. It is in inherent in having stationary hardware. They don't want to have to code their engine to run at 60 without shadows and AA or 30 with shadows and AA, or every graphical setting under the sun when they are trying their hardest to optimize one setting to the most optimal level for what they have to begin with.

This is why we will never see PC like settings on consoles. With PC ports or games built for PC, where you don't have to worry about having only one piece of hardware, you can go crazy with a variety of options. PC gamers should be proud of that, its merely one strength out of many for PC gaming, but for me as a console gamer, its not really something i particularly care about. I play the game how the dev sent it out, and that's that.

If the game is in an unplayable state, its down to the them and not my hardware for not being able to run it.

PS4/X1 versions to feature new upgrades not found on PC. Customized for next-gen only at the moment.

The work that went into the PS4 and Xbox One versions started at the end of the X360/PS3/PC versions. They were our foundation that we then built on top of. The amount of extra work - 3 studios and a full year of development - have pushed the boundaries beyond just TressFX and upgraded textures. We now have a new particle system, new lighting work and enhanced shadow-casters, tons of more visual storytelling elements (more debris, more details on walls, more density in the environment for vegetation), upgraded characters (Lara and main story NPCs), and we've also put all of the DLC materials into this version for PS4/Xbox One. We are very happy with the PC version we released and felt these new additions and changes were something custom just for next-gen consoles at the moment.

link

I just hope they add an option where you could use maxed out weapons right from the start of a new SP compaign without having to slowly unlock and upgrade them. That's the only gripe I have with the game. RE5 allowed this feature which provided an incentive to go back and replay the game with maxed out weapons. The current game does not allow this so those maxed out weapons were useless after you beat the game because there were no more enemies left to use them on.

But does it support stereoscopic 3D? That was far and away the most impressive visual addition to the PC version and it was a native element of the engine rather than being forced through drivers (not that that makes a difference to the end result).

Never played that game. Is it worth it ?
If you haven't played it yet, then definitely. It's priced the same as a new full retail game, so I think I'm gonna wait until it drops in price (already played it). I'll probably bite at 30-40$.

Last edited by a moderator:
A few of our engineers were dedicated to improving physics both on Lara and in the world. A few quick examples - Lara has equipment on her that she acquires as she goes through her adventure. The climbing axe, her radio, her bow and a quiver of arrows, etc. All of these now have subtle but simulated physics on them so as she runs, jumps, falls, stumbles, they react accordingly giving her more grounding the world. Then the world itself... we added so many objects, plants, trees, and then wind and weather effects that also have physics simulation built into them to react with each other. Wind will make trees and leaves sway or flutter; cloth flaps against light or heavy winds accordingly; particles and Lara's TressFX hair will drift according to the directional wind impact. All-in-all it adds a great additional depth and realism to the world.
Sounds cool

PS4/X1 versions to feature new upgrades not found on PC. Customized for next-gen only at the moment.

link
You also forgot...

Q: Question for Scot - when you say "both support in-game voice commands" do you mean that players can use voice commands on the PS4 as well?

A:
Absolutely - voice commands work on Kinect for Xbox One and using a microphone attached to PS4's controller or through Sony's camera if you have one.

Kinect gameplay-enhancing features detailed.

image_37939_620.jpg

http://www.oxm.co.uk/68452/tomb-raider-definitive-edition-to-include-optional-kinect-features/

"The amount of extra work has pushed the boundaries beyond just TressFX and upgraded textures."

Amos also mentioned how the next-generation iterations will feature support for voice commands via Kinect, saying that they're used "to enhance Lara's actions or as shortcuts into various menus and upgrade screens to reduce some of the user navigation. We also use them for things like switching weapons, switching ammo types, and other such shortcuts."

The video is from last year. Shame on IGN.
:smile: It is probably the happy anniversary video dedicated to the game.

I can't wait to have this game. It is going to be my last game for a while. I have 15 Xbox One games already, and I am realising that I am barely playing two most of the time -NBA 2k14 and NBA Live 14-, along with Forza 5 and KI, which I play from time to time.

75% done on PS3 version...while the hair looks nice, I can't see myself replaying/repaying this game for the better graphics. Actually the graphics are really nice already. Pretty close for my GOTY for 2013 (I started it in 2013 anyway).

Finished it last night with about 83% of items found. The game gives you the option to go back and complete everything, but I don't think I will as the story was the main driver for me playing. Great game with really impressive graphics.

Back