i shorted my mobo?

The549

Regular
my pcs NEVER live a boring life. always mucking around from place to place.

bumped my pc and it instantly shut off (no bsod). noticed a metal pci bracket resting against some mobo chip next to the lowest pci card. after a messing around with power etc, got the psu to turn on proc fan, video card fan, all hd's, cd etc, but no video out. reseated components (except proc), but not the mobo itself yet. with no card/ram mobo turns itself off after a minute or so (like normal). reset works fine.
almost new mobo/cpu.

if you rolled the magic bones what do you think they'd say? will work on it tonight. hoping not to have to replace everything. laptop too cheap to do anything but youtube cat videos (or stuff i actually look at :)

Hmm I have a mobo that was working fine then suddenly I get no video out also I wonder if something shorted it as well. I never noticed anything, but I suppose something could have happened to it. It all spins up, just no video on vga or dvi.

I THINK I FIXED IT!!!

After waving a dead chicken over it, saying a prayer, and assembling disassembling and restarting it a thousand times in a thousand different ways, it turned on....then off after a minute. hasn't shut off since.

had to reactivate the partition with bootsect...it's running now but i'm still praying ;P

update: works fine except upon sleeping it dies (shuts off). weird.

one stick of 2gb ram is identified as 136gb in the bios...so one stick of ram died.

all hd's back online.

cheap fix luckily.

I never fixed mine, but I have been too busy (Says the man posting :)). Rude Curve it worked previously on my monitor. I tried it on two separate monitors as well. I took ram out and reseated. I did not mess with cpu, but reset CMOS and so forth (battery removal). Anyway maybe after christmas I can give it a shot again. I would really like to get it working as it is supposed to be replacing my computer in my car which is too big and has a SSD that is stuffed.

I never fixed mine, but I have been too busy (Says the man posting :)). Rude Curve it worked previously on my monitor. I tried it on two separate monitors as well. I took ram out and reseated. I did not mess with cpu, but reset CMOS and so forth (battery removal). Anyway maybe after christmas I can give it a shot again. I would really like to get it working as it is supposed to be replacing my computer in my car which is too big and has a SSD that is stuffed.

Why do you have a PC in your car? o_O

Back