Official GT5 discussion thread

Yap, feels like an all-round clean up and optimization pack. The DLC and cars sound rather "stingy".

I'm not into paint job either.

I think the more noticeable/appreciated difference is how the game feels when we play it. Have to get my wheel back from my friend. :devilish:

I will probably appreciate cockpit view for all cars, improved physics, AI and visuals, plus new track most (in that order).

The 2.0 Spec contains alot of new features and even content. Very nice job, i especially like the loading speed.

The price for the DLC, well that one will always be a tough one. I would pay $10 just for spa alone.

And some of the new cars is pretty hot as well, though i would prefer more i think there is enough to use some quality time with:

gran-turismo-5-dlc-cars-1.jpg

gran-turismo-5-dlc-cars-2.jpg

gran-turismo-5-dlc-cars-3.jpg

gran-turismo-5-dlc-cars-6.jpg

Those cars above.. driven in anger through this:

spa-francorchamps-gran-turismo-5-2.jpg

Yes please! :)

What do they mean by "The Logitech G25 Racing Wheel and G27 Racing Wheel are now officially supported." ? Didn't GT5 support these wheels ? And how is it different from my DF Pro ?

What do they mean by "The Logitech G25 Racing Wheel and G27 Racing Wheel are now officially supported." ? Didn't GT5 support these wheels ? And how is it different from my DF Pro ?

They were supported previously, but there wasn't full support in terms of being able to use and customise every single button, including the add-on optional full six-speed gearbox. I think now all that is covered in the settings like all the other wheels are. Previously G25/27 owners would select, say, the DF Pro and have to make do with the settings that supported. You could still use most features, but now everything is supported fully.

EDIT: Just bought a RUF RGT '00 second hand car and took it to the Ring, and even though it's just a black outline basically, it's still very effective and a much bigger deal to me than I expected. I enjoy driving these tier 2 cars a lot more now. Also, it seems that the suspension modelling is much improved still. Maybe it's just this particular car, but it drives wonderfully, and the feel of the front of the car interacting with the bumps in the road seems much more convincing, also in the force feedback.

EDIT2: the load-times are also a much bigger deal than I expected. Wow, the Ring loads in something like 5-10 seconds.

EDIT: Just bought a RUF RGT '00 second hand car and took it to the Ring, and even though it's just a black outline basically, it's still very effective and a much bigger deal to me than I expected. I enjoy driving these tier 2 cars a lot more now. Also, it seems that the suspension modelling is much improved still. Maybe it's just this particular car, but it drives wonderfully, and the feel of the front of the car interacting with the bumps in the road seems much more convincing, also in the force feedback.

GTPlanet has a thread + poll on the improved physics:
http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=226544

Quite an interesting read.

The X2010 is a challenge for me, i havent raced it at all, there is nothing i like about it, except the B Spec cash. And with a controller it is pretty tough getting it around a track with zero experience.

Got the 5 million and tried to sell it which can´t be done :)
I'd imagine it would be tough with a controller. It also takes a while to get used to the car and driving like it's in fast forward, lol.
Managed to get 1:09.600 (ranked 12000 something :() with my DFGT. Took me a while to get used to the car again (I beat the non-special X2010 challenge months ago... now that one is HARD).

Last edited by a moderator:
It has SPA, time to buy a PS3.

Btw, that new "interior" view for standards cars was pretty lame IMHO. Didnt the top GT dude say they prefer to take their time and do a fewer things right rather than do a lot of things average? I didnt think PD were ones who did things by halves.

(this is just my opinion GT fans... as I said, I'm buying GT5 and PS3 for SPA alone already! :) )

Last edited by a moderator:
It has SPA, time to buy a PS3.

Btw, that new "interior" view for standards cars was pretty lame IMHO. Didnt the top GT dude say they prefer to take their time and do a fewer things right rather than do a lot of things average? I didnt think PD were ones who did things by halves.

(this is just my opinion GT fans... as I said, I'm buying GT5 and PS3 for SPA alone already! :) )

The standard car "interior" view is a feature requested by lot's of users. That's why Kazunori said this patch is based on fans' feedback. ^_^ ([size=-2]I want race queen pack ![/size]).

I remember his vision about "less is more" too. Turns out GT5 has all sorts of bells and whistles, from time-of-day + weather effects to track maker to driver suit-up (Did I say I want Race Queen pack ? ...but not Jeff Gordon style. ^_^).

Given the messy messaging near GT5 launch, I suspect there was probably a huge debate internally. I think they should highlight/group all the best features in a few key in-game events. That should form the core of GT5 driving experience.

Then group the quirky ones in another bunch (Sambabus, Karting, ...). Those would be extras for car aficionados. They are actually rather special.

And finally another group for new comers like me. I love the special events, but people who have played GT5/4/3/2/1 may have gotten tired of them.

EDIT: I remember Kazunori also said they will evolve GT5 after launch. There are probably more to come...

The special events are actually pretty new for GT5. A-spec and licences are old.

I see. I like the predictability and compactness of the special events since they help me drill my driving. Heard people complaining about the "same old formula". So I thought they are old.

I could sample different types of racing easily in these special events (snowy tracks, sandy tracks, NASCAR, AMG, etc.). I :love: how they are not complete races ^_^. Before GT5, I already got tired of driving around in circles. Mr. Kazunori should keep (improving) these events, but allow gamers to navigate the game by "driver type". That way people are less likely to lose themselves in this massive title.

I put in a 1:14 on my third or so lap, with the wheel, but Suzuka is one of my favorite tracks. Still they mention that they wanted to make the challenge for gold a little less hard so everyone had a chance on getting it, so if you stick at it you should be able to get there.

I managed to perform a 1.23.503 lap, just 1.265 behind your best, so I am very pleased.
By waiting a few days of consecutive logins I got a 70% bonus of the price money :)

The leaderboard wasn't there.

Yes, I meant more cars and more premium cars. ^_^

More tracks and special events would be nice too.

EDIT:
I didn't know 1.09 was out. I still haven't fully unpacked from my office move. :devilish:

But this is interesting:
http://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo-5-meets-google-street-view-in-banner-ad/

Would be interesting if Polyphony Digital (or even Modnation Racer) can integrate with Google maps so that I can create a track out of arbitrary map location.

Hurry up ! :devilish:

I want to drive in a foreign country before I visit there. It's great for driving test prep too. You have the right kind of car collection for regular driving. The lower standard quality doesn't matter because the track may be long and unoptimized.

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2011/10/step-inside-map-with-google-mapsgl.html

You’re now one step closer to experiencing and interacting with a 3D mirror of the real world within your browser with Google MapsGL. Google MapsGL takes Google Maps and harnesses the power of Web Graphics Library (WebGL) to create far richer visuals and animations.

EDIT: Lump it with the other newbie events since these tracks won't have the details of regular GT5 tracks. ^_^

If Kazunori doesn't want leaderboard, the solution is simple. Do it in Playstation Home and export race results to Home similar to how XML Game Launching works. There are plenty of virtual items to win there. Let people bet with their PSN trophies ^_^

In essence, let the users and the PS Home organizers design their competition (outside GT5). Different people will want to compete differently (i.e., exploiting their own advantages).

There are already clubhouse support inside Home too.

Another one causing GAF to go gaga.

EDIT:
Kazunori's response:

Many thanks to everyone in the world for all your support.
Your words and comments provide strength and motivation for the team at PD.

Should open up and share GT5 glory with other Sony group. GT Academy is great but I can't touch it. ^_^

Back