Official GT5 discussion thread

I think it's time for me to put GT5 away and go back to forza 3.
Forza3 may not be as good looking but at least it's consistant, no tearing, no framerate drops and all cars have cockpit view.

Absolutely true that Forza's graphical performance is consistent and smooth, and it is appreciated. But it is also sterile, devoid of effects, and the lighting of the cockpit view is downright horrible. They basically just change overall brightness. And the sacrifice of just having 8 cars on track, for me, I think I'd rather have some rare performance hiccups instead.

- All car models from your garage need to be available in Arcade. This "Favourite" nonsense is absolutely ridiculous and beyond stupid. It is time consuming, boring and limiting it to a hundred? It was annoying in GT4, and it is annoying in GT5. Please bring back the way it worked in GT2, by being able to load your Garage into Arcade.

I think I agree. I just never use Arcade ... at all!

- In addition, when in Arcade, put the cars behind a manufacturer selection like in GT4. It would help you find the car you want, but also the game can be loading the cars in the background while you're selecting what manufacturer you are going to chose.

Just show the search window that allows you to find cars in your garage. That type of window is efficient, and should just be used everywhere imho, with the appropriate filters applied when necessary. It's a great start, and I really like it. They definitely can learn a little from Forza in using this

- GT Auto and Parts Shop that can also be accessed from Garage/Pre-race screen. This is an absolute must. Having to keep going back and forth between these two is incredibly annoying.

I guess. Doesn't bother me much, but yes it would be more efficient.

- Ability to arrange cars in your garage by sale price. Why did this feature vanish? It was handy when you wanted to make some quick money. Going through all your cars to see what the resale value is…not fun. And what's up with cars you win not having any resale value?

I never sell cars. I typically want to have all cars, and selling any of them just doesn't make sense financially. If I have a double car and the car is completely identical to one I already have, I may give it away to someone on my friendslist instead.

- Notification of whether you already own a certain car when browsing in the dealership.

You do get a notification when you try to buy one. But I guess that here too they could allow you to filter your garage on this car fairly easily.

- Ability to save progress during Championship races. Again, why did this option vanish? Polyphony, you cannot expect people to make the time for the Formula GT Championship in one sitting. Please bring that save during championship option back.

I agree this would be nice to have back.

- Fully customised gear ratios. It cannot really be called a "Fully Customisable Transmission", only for it to be anything but. Another baffling feature that has been removed. (Kaz has since indicated they're going to fix this…but no time frame)

Yeah, it's strange to have this missing now.

- Ability to set and lock time/weather settings for tracks with time/weather changes. Sure, it is an option for online, but this needs to be offline in both Arcade and GT Mode. I do not want to wait until the game decides when the Ring will be raining and at night. We need the option to set weather and time from the start, and lock those settings should we so wish.

I don't feel it has a place in GT Mode, but I can see it would be good for Arcade (though again I never play it). Basically they should have Arcade and online share functions as much as possible. Locking the settings isn't a priority for me - I think once weather and time of day are on it is awesome that it is dynamic. But it would be a nice to have, even if just for practice.

- Ability to take photos of the interior of cars. Polyphony, you spent all that time modelling the interiors to unbelievable detail, but we can't take a photo of the interior? If you've got it, flaunt it. Some of the workaround ones look great; optimised ones could (would?) look even better.

I agree here.

- Remove the Level restrictions for cars. For casual players it is limiting and feels like a cynical attempt to extend the life of the game. If you have the cash, you should be allowed to buy whatever car you chose, especially if you just want to "take it to the track" in Arcade mode.

Doesn't bother me personally - the leveling system is generous enough, and some kind of RPG type progress doesn't hurt.

- New A-Spec and Special Events events seem like a no brainer. And also, Manufacturer Events. Why did these also vanish? Give me a reason to own the cars Polyphony! Because at the moment, there seems like very little reason at all to own the majority of the premium cars.

New evens in the form of the online events are pretty sweet imho - we're getting new ones about every week, hard to complain about that one. Manufacturer events are basically in GT Life's practice mode - you can do a race there with your current car against similar cars. I can see that it would be nice to be able to do this elsewhere though. Personally, I would prefer to have an option in online mode that allows you to pick a car from the garage completely tuned to your preference, and then have all players use this exact same car. This would be a great help for the way we do our LAN parties (I went to one again for the first time in years earlier this year, being able to race in dynamic weather and night/day is awesome, being able to have some free runs is awesome, generally a lot of improvements, but this is one we'd like to add).

- Course Maker is a good start, now it is time for some evolution. Ability to set Reverse, Elevation and Mirror settings are a few basics, but also, why not have those aforementioned new A-Spec or Manufacturer events played on randomly generated tracks? Why re-use the same courses in the game? Integrate CM more into A-Spec, not just for rally events.

Hmm, I don't really see it. Just make it easier to use them in online racing, that's all I need personally.

- Have Arcade, Course Maker, and Gran Turismo TV as tabs in GT Mode. Having to go back and forth between Arcade/GTTV/CM/GT Mode got old a long time ago.

Question of memory management I guess, but yes, they could probably create some kind of shortcut menu for these things. I suspect that many of these things are currently 'modules', almost separate programs only linked together through the main menu.

- Now the radical bit…get completely rid of Used Car Dealership. Put all Standard Cars in their respective manufacturer dealerships under something like "Gran Turismo Classics" with the ability to buy them at any time. They may be ugly sisters, but between all eight hundred of them, there is so much history and heritage that the standards bring to the game, surely they could have be treated better? Also giving some of the standards a little TLC wouldn't go amiss.

I disagree with this one. I like the current separation. I'd much prefer them to add new Premium cars, 2010-2011 models as DLC. I'm most worried that this isn't a priority for them currently.

Performance and technical improvements. I know this isn't as easy to implement as some of the others are, but really, the tearing in this game needs to be reduced. It's offensive, and when you need your wipers on, seeing a load of torn frames - coupled with the hideous pixelated disaster that is the spray and blocky wipers - it's off-putting, and makes you begin to question PD's status as a technologically advanced studio.

On 720p it isn't as bad, imho, but obviously it isn't perfect. However in practice I don't encounter issues a lot at all.

Sorry for the long post but it would appear that PD has left the door open for turn 10 to take the crown.

That's your opinion and you're obviously entitled to it, but do you even realise how many of your complaints are about things that aren't in Forza 3 in the first place?

I like your ideas and I understand that alot of my complaints are based on things that aren't in forza3 but the technical issues could all be resolved with bringing down the car count and effects. Surely a constant 60fps should have been in the top 5 priorities but it would appear that 1080p, 3D, 16 cars were at the top for no other reason than to try and outdo every other racer.
That is without doubt commendable but I can't imagine the GT5 team playing their own game and not thinking the framerate drops and tearing are just unacceptable.
Kaz needs to step down and just become the face of gran turismo and let someone else lead the project.
As much as I love GT5, it seems to want you to hate it at the same time.
I am not trying to start a forz3/GT5 thread but it's extremely clear that one team knows its hardware alot more than the other. I would be very interested to see what the turn10 team could do with 5 years development time and a huge budget :?:

I like your ideas and I understand that alot of my complaints are based on things that aren't in forza3 but the technical issues could all be resolved with bringing down the car count and effects. Surely a constant 60fps should have been in the top 5 priorities but it would appear that 1080p, 3D, 16 cars were at the top for no other reason than to try and outdo every other racer.
That is without doubt commendable but I can't imagine the GT5 team playing their own game and not thinking the framerate drops and tearing are just unacceptable.
Kaz needs to step down and just become the face of gran turismo and let someone else lead the project.
As much as I love GT5, it seems to want you to hate it at the same time.
I am not trying to start a forz3/GT5 thread but it's extremely clear that one team knows its hardware alot more than the other. I would be very interested to see what the turn10 team could do with 5 years development time and a huge budget :?:
I don't know if it suggests that PD aren't familiar or capable with the PS3 hardware. It could simply mean the game is graphically ambitious. It also seems like most of the complaints you list have to do with the game design and even game production. Perhaps as a developer PD aren't efficient.

Could the xbox 360 pull off GT5 any better if polyphony digital had made the game for it instead?
What do you think?
Is it a case of turn10 have better tools with microsoft behind them?
I know PD had to build the game engine from scratch.

All I'm saying is regardless of the hardware, GT5 is a technically ambitious game. It has a high res mode with double the amount of pixels of its nearest competitor; or you could play in 720p with 4x MSAA. The lighting model with time of day transitions is pretty cool too. The geometry on the cars is impressive, and the environments for the most part look good and do a nice job of representing real world locations. Turn10 could probably pull off something similar, but I doubt it would be easy and there would be tradeoffs as well.

Could the xbox 360 pull off GT5 any better if polyphony digital had made the game for it instead?
What do you think?
Is it a case of turn10 have better tools with microsoft behind them?
I know PD had to build the game engine from scratch.
I can accept your reference to Forza as a comparison of gameplay features between similar titles, and given Arwin's response that post can and is being discussed as such and not a console comparison, but this question doesn't belong in a game thread, doesn't belong in a PS3 game thread, and can't really be answered even if asked in the Technology forum thread!

So stick to talking about your gameplay experience here please, and find a suitable other thread in the tech forum if you really want to explore that side of things.

Barso said:
- Course Maker is a good start, now it is time for some evolution. Ability to set Reverse, Elevation and Mirror settings are a few basics, but also, why not have those aforementioned new A-Spec or Manufacturer events played on randomly generated tracks? Why re-use the same courses in the game? Integrate CM more into A-Spec, not just for rally events.

I think they should work with Modnation Racer developers. Use their excellent auto-completion track editor for GT5.

All I'm saying is regardless of the hardware, GT5 is a technically ambitious game. It has a high res mode with double the amount of pixels of its nearest competitor; or you could play in 720p with 4x MSAA. The lighting model with time of day transitions is pretty cool too. The geometry on the cars is impressive, and the environments for the most part look good and do a nice job of representing real world locations.

Yap... plus the total number of cars in a race, and making the format accessible to someone who doesn't particularly like racing games, like me. The latter being the greater achievement.

I think it's time for me to put GT5 away and go back to forza 3.

Where do you get the best driving experience.. that is the question, the rest is worth discussing but the one and only question is, where do you get the best driving experience.

I talked to a friend, he got GT5, booted it on his PS3 and waited for that moment where his walls would disappear and his life would change. It didn´t come, but like me he ended up being pulled in and really enjoyed his "ride". Though, unlike him i had an idea on what to expect :)

Since i got the signature edition, one of the first things i did was take a really fast car out on a track and i knew right there i would be having fun. It would take some time to get to those races, but it would be lots of fun. And i had some moments where GT5 really opened up to me, like a wet weather race where i was going more sideways than forwards, my wheels felt like hard glas on ice :)

Or finally having the guts to drive through the Porsche Curves in anger, this game really ended up delivering everything i hoped for and it´s even staying fresh with the new challenges.
Yes, some of the stuff could be improved, go to twitter and make some suggestions.
But the basics and most important part is just right where it should be, on the peek of driving games.

What i would like, the option to pick damage and punishment on/off before a race. Depending on what you choose you have to repair the damages or not. If you choose damage, the rewards should be greater.

Some races that are more strict in their requirements, we could call it "hardmode".

Recreation of classic races, complete field with drivers with their real names and cars, it could be anything from rally to nascar to 24 hour lemans. I would love to drive the Le Mans 1991 :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnMauoMcNes

Its true that GT5 has some inconsistencies. But still, paradoxically I am having more fun than I ever had with a racing before including previous GT's and another simulation I dont want to mention to avoid comparisons. The driving experience is much more realistic and fun, and there are a ton of events and new challenges that test your skills and teach you real world racing techniques for each type of racing (Nascar, Rallying etc). It may not give me cockpit view for every car, but it gives me the option to drive cars that I otherwise wouldnt be able to.

I like the fact that it offers me that opportunity. This is not tryng to be a game but a driving experience and a car encyclopedia at the same time.

In addition I like the fact that new events appear. It is not limited to whats in the disk. There are actual GT events there announced all the time as if it is a real racing world.

I just freakin love it and I feel my money spent on the signature edition well worth it. This is not a game. For me its really a driving simulation and a work of art that brings as much as possible from the automobile world into a single package. I appreciate the work they have done very much.

Well, after nearly 2 months, the game simply doesn't get old, as the core driving experience is just so rewarding! Yes there are things i'd like see implemented and fixed, basic things at that. If they can keep updating at the rate they have, then a year from now, GT5 COULKD be seen as the GT EVERYONE expected. It will be interesting to see where its at in terms of added features, fixes, improvements come Forza 4 release. What PD are crying out for is a community manager, who reads forums, knows whats on everyones mind, is aware of what people are asking, and report back to Kaz. Alot of peeps are asking for the same things so there must be a point where PD sits back and acknowledges this.

What everyone does say, is that nigh on everything wrong with GT5, CAN be addressed to some extent, and in a short amount of time (without knowing whats happening under the hood with memory constraints and what not). I'm disregarding the actual driving in this as to me its simply perfect.

One thing somewhat bothers me though. Will any of this hinder GT6 development? Will they try and improve the things that need improving to the extent people are asking for, or will they focus on pefecting GT6, taking the GT5 issues into account?

They can bring GT5 premium car models to GT6. No doubt about that.

They added few nice things (different weather modes, different racing categories) that Forza team will never bother.

For GT6 I just want more premium cars, improve few tracks which look direct import from GT3.

For GT6 I just want more premium cars, improve few tracks which look direct import from GT3.

I would say that by that time it should really be all "premium". They shouldn't really have any excuse by that point. (hopefully)

Hell, I was surprised to see them ship with this standard/premium compromise after 5 years.

I would say that by that time it should really be all "premium". They shouldn't really have any excuse by that point. (hopefully)

Hell, I was surprised to see them ship with this standard/premium compromise after 5 years.

Well....lets see....around 180 people in peak periods, months (6?) just to design one fully detailed premium car among everything else?

Sounds impossible to me

Well....lets see....around 180 people in peak periods, months (6?) just to design one fully detailed premium car among everything else?

Sounds impossible to me

Wow, so many man hours and yet they dont manage to come out with more geometrically detailed cars than F3 which took less time to make and has more high LOD/detail cars. Maybe the right way is to outsource model design work to the pros that manage excellent results while not taking ages to come up with results.

Wow, so many man hours and yet they dont manage to come out with more geometrically detailed cars than F3 which took less time to make and has more high LOD/detail cars. Maybe the right way is to outsource model design work to the pros that manage excellent results while not taking ages to come up with results.
Not really, Forza 3 outsourced the cockpit view and its absolutely horrible to look at. Beside Forza 3 also used quite a bit of cars that were directly imported from Forza 2

Only cockpits? Then even more impressive feat by F3 dev team. Now I am also strictly talking about detail by geometry in highest LOD, not shading, shadow, mapping limitations for be it perfomance reasons. In the geometry complexity view neither outdoes the other but one took far less time to make.

Huh? Have you seen the interior detail of GT5's premium models? The detail on the exterior for the smaller things, like lights etc., are also better.
The detail in photomode doesn't translate to gameplay obviously, but they do have to model each vehicle in such detail for photomode.

Someone wrote an article about it months ago…

How to take Stunning Interior & Engine Shots in Gran Turismo 5:
http://gradly.net/2010/12/23/how-to-take-stunning-interior-engine-shots-in-gran-turismo-5/

20101223_1.jpg

Back