Official GT5 discussion thread

I can gift you my Nascar if you want it. Managed to win the championship on B-spec with it (not all golds on the races though), and I probably won't use it again for a while.

Is there a real difference between Nasscar cars in the game? I wouldnt want you to waste your car for nothing especially if it there is a chance that it will get lost like what happened to other guys' gifted cars

Is there a real difference between Nasscar cars in the game? I wouldnt want you to waste your car for nothing especially if it there is a chance that it will get lost like what happened to other guys' gifted cars

Looking through the dealership they all appear to be the same as far as I can tell. I'm not too concerned about the Nascar anyway since it's only a requirement for one set of races.

I got my Nascar through golding all Special Events for Nascar. Gives you a ticket for a random Nascar car.

it's a controversial question, but could PD have more easily (and efficiently) accomplished what they wanted to in terms of dust,smoke, rain, and shadows on the xbox 360? the more I play this game, the more I'm convinced the development team behind it had a visual philosophy that was least suitable for PS3, more suitable for 360 and most suitable for the PC. I noticed this exact same thing about MGS4 too. Several big name Japanese developers coming from a PS2 background have visual designs and plans better suited for the 360.

Got to look at the bigger picture. 1st and foremost you have storage issues. Secondly, could the 360 do 16 cars, with a 720 4xAA screen res? Model deformation? Remember, Turn 10 have had 2 stabs at this. They are going have to seriously improve the tech to get to GT's standards. Going from 720 2xAA to 4xAA, with double the number of cars....throw in the dynamic shadows, day/night technology.......Smoke and shadows would probably be better on 360, but very hard question overall without serious technology dissection.

I think MGS is a game that if came out now, would be technologically vastly superior. I just think it kind of came out a bit too soon if such a thing could be said. I guess the answer would probably be yes, the 360 could run MGS4. Same as GT, what sacrifices would need to be made or is it just a case of multiple discs aka FF13?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, that's what I want. Loud music, even louder engine noise, and no complaining neighbours (which may be too much to ask for).

There's no option to make your own car louder relative to the other cars. The options for volume are a bit tricky, but when you open the game-options, be aware that there are rows that can be scrolled horizontally. The audio options are hidden on the same row where you find the controller settings I think - just right at the far right.

BTW: Treat your car to a race-exhaust and that usually does the trick. I noticed it with the McLaren F1 - standard, you won't hear the noise over the other cars. With the race exhaust it gets a bit better.

There's no option to make your own car louder relative to the other cars. The options for volume are a bit tricky, but when you open the game-options, be aware that there are rows that can be scrolled horizontally. The audio options are hidden on the same row where you find the controller settings I think - just right at the far right.

Thanks. That's exactly where they were. I had been looking under general options and the songlist in GT life. I didn't expect them to be under hardware options.

BTW: Treat your car to a race-exhaust and that usually does the trick. I noticed it with the McLaren F1 - standard, you won't hear the noise over the other cars. With the race exhaust it gets a bit better.

That might be a good idea. I hadn't really spend much on car tuning up now, but this might be well worth it for my favourite cars.

it's a controversial question, but could PD have more easily (and efficiently) accomplished what they wanted to in terms of dust,smoke, rain, and shadows on the xbox 360?

I doubt this my friend. I have seen Forza 2 and 3 and both 60fps games have very poor transparency performance and very poor "dust/smoke." Shadows are not dynamic.

Remember GT5 is rendering at 50% higher resolution and has 2x cars in view.

Even without increasing resolution, adding smoke, rain effects, and dynamic shadows is a very serious challenge and may be impossible.

the more I play this game, the more I'm convinced the development team behind it had a visual philosophy that was least suitable for PS3, more suitable for 360 and most suitable for the PC. I noticed this exact same thing about MGS4 too. Several big name Japanese developers coming from a PS2 background have visual designs and plans better suited for the 360.

The 360 is not suited to the kind of effects that Japanese developers learned with PS2. This is because the EDRAM in the 360 is one-way only.

Having recently got the Red Bull X2010 I thought it would be interesting to see how fast my B-spec driver could take it round the Nurburgring...

Having recently got the Red Bull X2010 I thought it would be interesting to see how fast my B-spec driver could take it round the Nurburgring...

Ha, nice vid. Looks like it's in fast forward mode :D

Stupid lap time though. Isn't that X1 supposed to be something akin to 'real world' and not just a fantasy car with unrealsitic speed, braking, grip and downforce? I seem to recall some such talk pre-release?

Ha, nice vid. Looks like it's in fast forward mode :D

Stupid lap time though. Isn't that X1 supposed to be something akin to 'real world' and not just a fantasy car with unrealsitic speed, braking, grip and downforce? I seem to recall some such talk pre-release?

Supposedly it's a car without the technical restrictions placed on real life racecars. It does make me wonder though if they haven't taken too much liberty with what they think is possible.

New seasonal events up gents. Very easy this time, still plenty of credits and XP up for grabs.

Almost to easy, i hope they give us something a bit more epic next time, doesn´t have to be very difficult, but for example a 25 lap race in a fairly fast car or something like that :)

Well, they removed the requirements. You can just look at the "typical opponents" or whatever and tune your car however to make it challenging for you.

I hope they add more events... I'm a hair short of level 30 and the regular events give you next to no XP.

I tried two of them - I like them a little, as you can make them as hard as you like. You don't *have* to tune. ;)

Anyway, I went to a proper GT5 LAN Party this weekend. It requires a bit of organisation, but it works, and you can get it to run pretty much local after you've used PSN to sign in and setup the group of players you use. It's good fun, and a 12 lap race on a wet track that slowly dried up was really impressive and makes the racing more varied and exciting. A day-night race on Le Mans was also very cool. These are good additions that make for a more dynamic race, which gives pretty exciting results in a group of pretty hardcore people. I was definitely only a middling driver in this group. But had great fun nonetheless, although we had heavy damage and penalties on initially which pretty much meant 5 out of 6 races with those settings had at least one pitstop. :LOL:

Fortunately they also had a plastic instrument set-up with every version of Rock Band and Guitar Hero available as well as every version of the guitar (the real guitar that had the Rockband 2 buttons mounted was pretty cool to use), and as I can play most songs on Extreme first try and it was a secondary thing at least there I stood out. ;)

Just womndering. If you have a level 24 car and you send it to a player who is below that level, is he going to receive it and be able to use it?

Also does the other guy have to be online while you send it, or is he going to receive it once he gets online?

Back