Official GT5 discussion thread

@Antan, did you beat these challenges without skid recovery force on? Seems like many people are resorting to turning it on for these events (mostly on the Focus and RX-7 ones). I tried it on the Focus/Madrid race, and I beat it very easily (passed first before the last lap). Without it, I dunno if I could beat it... I was always a few seconds behind (but I was slowly making progress).
In the RX-7/Tsukuba one, after 3 tries, the best I did without skid recovery force was 10-11 seconds behind first! My lap times were mid ~1:01's. I'm gonna try it with it on tomorrow sometime.
The first and third races I beat without assists, and I have yet to attempt the NASCAR/Ring race.

Skidrecovery on but that's it. The general word on the street is that's they are impossible with skid recovery off. I got to second with it off, but 1st was always out of reach, no matter how hard i pushed. As everyone is saying, "it feels dirty". I NEVER use skid recovery but had no choice with these events.

I am trying to win the nascar events but my car has less horsepower by default than the competition. There is also no room for increasing horsepower at all. So it seems that the key is on the suspension and transmission manual adjustments

Any ideas what to do?

I am trying to win the nascar events but my car has less horsepower by default than the competition. There is also no room for increasing horsepower at all. So it seems that the key is on the suspension and transmission manual adjustments

Any ideas what to do?

Lots of drafting Nesh. It's Nascar after all. Also "maybe" tweak your ratios a touch.

Lots of drafting Nesh. It's Nascar after all. Also "maybe" tweak your ratios a touch.

Oops, I forgot to mention that I was referring to the B-Spec. The driver isnt the smartest. So it all comes to his XP and the correct suspension and transmission tweaks for each stage. The thing is, it is hard to know the optimal suspension and transmission tweaks for each stage

I'm having a really hard time finding cars for events. My google-fu must be weak too. Does anyone have a link to a list of restrictions or cars that I can use in each of the events?
How far are you? Early on, what I did, was I used whatever car I won from the license tests to win as many races as possible, which will win you more cars that you can use for other races. After a certain point, you should have enough credits to buy specific cars (especially now with the holiday bonus).

@Antan, yeah, it seems like they're impossible to gold without. I'm kind of relieved I'm not the only one.

edit: Beat them all quite easily. They went from possibly unbeatable to very easy with skid recovery.

Last edited by a moderator:
How far are you? Early on, what I did, was I used whatever car I won from the license tests to win as many races as possible, which will win you more cars that you can use for other races. After a certain point, you should have enough credits to buy specific cars (especially now with the holiday bonus).

I'm currently level 7. I've completed the first 2 licenses. I haven't been able to gold most of them and so far I've only received the cars for the special events. I did buy a Vitz to enter that series. My main issue I'm having is knowing the restrictions for the series so when I'm in the dealership I can find a car.

Oops, I forgot to mention that I was referring to the B-Spec. The driver isnt the smartest. So it all comes to his XP and the correct suspension and transmission tweaks for each stage. The thing is, it is hard to know the optimal suspension and transmission tweaks for each stage

You've probably done this already but have you changed the oil on your car? I've found this can give you a minor bhp boost even on brand new cars.

$$ is an object, but I was under the assumption that the only supported wheel on 360 was the MS wheel. If I can use the wheel on both platforms, that helps me in justifying the purchase. I'm not really looking to pay $500US for a wheel, but I'm OK with the $200-$300 range if I can use it on both. Really loving GT5 so far, but after putting a good 40+hours into Forza the last few months, they each offer different driving experiences and I'm not ready to stop playing Forza.

Full setup with high end clubsport pedals and shifters is $500 USD. Wheel alone is $250 - it works with Logitech G25/27 pedals if you have those or can get them cheap. No shifters like the full set (only paddles)

fanatec.de. Of course currently there is a waiting list :)

Well, forgive me if I don't find that anecdote terribly convincing. ;) Got any more specific details for us?

He's right. Apart from being visually inacurrate, the Nordschleife in FM3 feels like you are driving on bloody parking lot, as opposed to a bumpy, uneven surface that rocks your suspension. Due to the road surface being far too smooth, I can hit some of the notoriously difficult bends sloppy and carelessly in FM3 (with all aids off), recover without hitting a barrier, and continue on my merry way.

To be more specific, in Forza 3, I can take the first part of Hatzenbach almost at full throttle,I can take off into the grass on Flugplatz and get back on the pavement without losing much grip, I can hit Swendenkreuz fast and hard and not have to worry about stability through the bend...and on and on it goes. You simply dont have to worry much about the stability of your car as you whip it around the track because the road surface is too smooth. In GT5, Flugplatz is terrrifying to take full throttle because a) that part of the track is very bumpy, b) the slight incline before the Schwendenkreuz bend can throw your stability if you hit it like a maniac and c) if even one rear wheel touches the grass, you're gunna spin out and you're gunna spin out fast and hard.

He's right. Apart from being visually inacurrate, the Nordschleife in FM3 feels like you are driving on bloody parking lot, as opposed to a bumpy, uneven surface that rocks your suspension. Due to the road surface being far too smooth, I can hit some of the notoriously difficult bends sloppy and carelessly in FM3 (with all aids off), recover without hitting a barrier, and continue on my merry way.

To be more specific, in Forza 3, I can take the first part of Hatzenbach almost at full throttle,I can take off into the grass on Flugplatz and get back on the pavement without losing much grip, I can hit Swendenkreuz fast and hard and not have to worry about stability through the bend...and on and on it goes. You simply dont have to worry much about the stability of your car as you whip it around the track because the road surface is too smooth. In GT5, Flugplatz is terrrifying to take full throttle because a) that part of the track is very bumpy, b) the slight incline before the Schwendenkreuz bend can throw your stability if you hit it like a maniac and c) if even one rear wheel touches the grass, you're gunna spin out and you're gunna spin out fast and hard.

Bingo! People can say what they want about gfx inconsistencies or odd UI choices but clearly the driving model is absolutely jaw dropping! The satisfaction gained from driving a flawless lap around the ring is pretty much unmatched. Terrifying is such an appropriate word.

So, I win the 1st 4 Formula GT events, next car is 210 pts adrift, championship is mine, so I start the Monza race, quit out....Suzuka menu loads up.....and I quit thinking I'm just quitting the race. Silly me! 2 hours or so FLUSHED DOWN THE PAN! Sigh. I have won each race individually prior to me starting the championship. Feels like I've been shot in the face with an rpg.

Ouch man, that sucks man. I dunno if I'm gonna attempt that championship again... it's so long and frustrating. I may force myself to, seeing as how it's the last event I have left (not including the endurance races).

Ouch man, that sucks man. I dunno if I'm gonna attempt that championship again... it's so long and frustrating. I may force myself to, seeing as how it's the last event I have left (not including the endurance races).

Once you get into 1st place it's plain sailing. Just concentration and consistent lap times needed. But yes, it sucked!

Does anyone know if there are any sound options to change the volume of the BGM, etc? I can't seem to find any.

I was hoping to increase the sound of my own car compared to the opponents. Right now whenever your racing in a group the sound of your own car becomes almost lost in the noise of the others. I don't like it because the sound is an important part of the feedback on how your car behaves.

And when I'm playing my own music that again often becomes lost in the rest of the noise.

Look better, they are there. Though not for your own car against others - just all forms of BGM, In-Game sounds etc.

Does anyone know if there are any sound options to change the volume of the BGM, etc? I can't seem to find any.

I was hoping to increase the sound of my own car compared to the opponents. Right now whenever your racing in a group the sound of your own car becomes almost lost in the noise of the others. I don't like it because the sound is an important part of the feedback on how your car behaves.

And when I'm playing my own music that again often becomes lost in the rest of the noise.

Wait, so you want to hear your car above all the others, yet you also play with music ingame? If you want to gauge for feedback reasons don't have any ingame music. I've never played a car game with ingame music playing. Pretty sure I'm not the only one on here.

Wait, so you want to hear your car above all the others, yet you also play with music ingame? If you want to gauge for feedback reasons don't have any ingame music. I've never played a car game with ingame music playing. Pretty sure I'm not the only one on here.

Yep, that's what I want. Loud music, even louder engine noise, and no complaining neighbours (which may be too much to ask for).

Back