Official GT5 discussion thread

Licence Tests and Special Events like Top Gear dont have normal GT 5 AI, rather something totally scripted.

Not totally scripted. In the TG lotus challenge I got gold very easily and cheaply when the lead lotus spun in front of me and crashed into the car in third. It did it all on its own.

Yap… they will follow a path if unperturbed. If you force your way through the line, they will adjust their paths in response to your action sometimes.

Yamauchi Outlines Gran Turismo 5 Plans:
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/12/15/gt5_plans/

The late December update will be a major one, said Yamauchi. He listed a few region specific additions. America-based players can look forward to the start of GT Academy (detailed here) beginning with online time trial rankings. Europe-base players can look forward to an online tournament called SLS Challenge where the winner will receive an actual Mercedes SLS AMG (yikes!).

Yamauchi believes it would be good to have one update every month, although he didn't go so far as to actually set this schedule in stone.

Famitsu asked Yamauchi is we can expect new cars, courses and photo mode locations as download content. Cars and courses are difficult to make, explained Yamauchi, and thus can't be added in the same amount of time it takes to do a bug fix or event update. "They may be added as expansion content, or we may leave it until the next title."

The same holds true for course maker locations. "We'd like to add these, however, I'm not sure at present if this will come as an update or as content for the next title.

One thing Yamauchi would say with conviction is that Gran Turismo 5 will have online races for B Spec mode. He wouldn't give an exact time frame, but said that this is something he's personally wanted to do

He said that they'd like to make it so that you'll be able to use the courses you made in the game's course maker mode in online races. This is something that he hopes to implement soon.

Famitsu also asked if plans are in place to redo the game's low fidelity "standard car" models as higher quality "premium car" models. Yamauchi responded in the affirmative. "Among the standard cars are some historical classics, and we plan on remaking them as premium cars. There are currently some cars that have both standard and premium versions. Those are cases where the cars were remade."

PD as a business is not being run efficiently, I feel. From this interview, I'm gathering the following:

- they are worried about getting the next GT out in time, to the point where they wonder if they should spend a lot of time on DLC work. A normal, modern Western developer would set aside a DLC dedicated team supervised by the main team to develop content that pays for itself.

- where we expect a lot of things to be modular and easily downloadable/added, they talk about updates or new versions. An update of the executable is a lot more work. I don't quite understand why DLC shouldn't just be updating the cars database and downloading stuff - I mean aren't they already doing the same when they are installing individual cars to the harddrive?

- the modelling of cars is currently not efficient enough. They really should find a way to do this more efficiently. 6 Months is unacceptable and almost unbelievable to be honest. It makes developing a car for the game pricier than many of these cars cost new in real life.

Even more importantly I think is that they should be thinking more about developing the GT as a service, that lives on releasing new content like cars and tracks. The technological development of the next game in the series should be done in paralel, with plenty of opportunities for crossover and feedback by testing new ideas through the existing 'service'.

I think the car modeling from standard into premiums that will be in DLC is already work done for GT6.
The premiums they said are ready for the next generation. They will use these models for both GT5 and the next GT

I think the car modeling from standard into premiums that will be in DLC is already work done for GT6.
The premiums they said are ready for the next generation. They will use these models for both GT5 and the next GT

That's what I thought for GT4's models, too. In fact, back then I swore that the work they did with the Photo-mode both for rendering tech and the higher quality LODs they had would be stuff that would help them getting out GT5 sooner. And the look where we are now? Yes, the highest LOD assets from GT could go straight into GT5, but now we're all complaining it looks much worse than GT5's Premium models.

I wouldn't be surprised we'd get something very similar next time if they continue the same path. What about tesselation for instance? Will it be easy to modify the current Premium models to use that? What if physical damage requires more work? Or tire deformation? It will be interesting.

What they should do is set up a car-modelling studio that does work also for car manufacturors directly. Model their latest models and concepts, and instead of those unique discs they released previously, allow dealers to hand out PSN codes or something similar, or just make them available to download for free, sponsored by the car dealer (or not, if, say, Porsche wants to make some money on them).

More translated details from the interview:
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/12/16/yamauchi_gt_kids/

Late Dec update is around 20th.

There are a couple of additional comments about the future of GT5 and Gran Turismo as a whole in the Famitsu.com version of the interview.

The print version did not make any mention of a date for GT5's late December update. In the Famitsu.com version, Yamauchi says the update will be available around the 20th or so (that's not an exact time frame, but it does sound like we won't have to wait until the very end of the month).

In the full version of the interview, Yamauchi was asked if the possibility exists for past courses like New York City, Seattle, Grand Canyon and El Capitan to be revived in the future. He responded in the affirmative -- the possibility exists .

Yamauchi was also asked if he wants to make the next Gran Turismo on PlayStation 3. Responded Yamauchi, "We'll probably end up making it for PlayStation 3. However, I still don't know. I don't know what kind of hardware will come out, after all."

Remember Gran Turismo Kids/Boys? (If you don't, read this IGNPS2 article). Famitsu bought up the game now six years after Yamauchi first mentioned it at the Gran Turismo 4 completion party. Is Yamauchi thinking about making a Gran Turismo Kids based off GT5?

"I'd really like to do it," replied Yamauchi. "I get asked this question by the European press too. The problem is that I don't have the time for it. In a sense, PSP's Gran Turismo was made to be enjoyed by kids. GT5 is online, and requires a certain level of communication skills, so it would perhaps be tough for kids. I'd like current kids to play it after they've grown up a bit."

Possibly also replay for PhotoMode in late Dec:
http://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo-5-replay-controls-coming-in-next-update/

Kazunori Yamauchi has dropped a very big hint about what could be in store for us in the next major update coming to Gran Turismo 5: the ability to restart your race replays. In response to a question via Twitter (kindly translated by our own SHIRAKAWA Akira):

[Twitter quote]

This is especially good news for fans of GT5’s Photomode, who may have had trouble pausing a race at exactly the right spot to snap a picture.

I'm also confused by their alleging that they'll redo more than a handful of models, especially for free. Improving those options which were promised but not fully delivered seems more sensible. Hopefully they'll not stray from that. They've already sold a ton of copies; the press alreahdy dutifully used the highest qualiity models and mode for screenshots; people already insist that the game is overwhelmingly fun, so I don't know what they have left to prove. A few DLC cars (both free and for profit) is good for business, i think, but they're never going to get enough premium models out to make a significant dent in the gameplay.

I guess they have a dedicated car modelling team that's gonna be modelling cars regardless of other goals so they might as well release them?

I'm also confused by their alleging that they'll redo more than a handful of models, especially for free. Improving those options which were promised but not fully delivered seems more sensible. Hopefully they'll not stray from that.

I think all KY said was PD will continue to patch GT5, hopefully once a month. On top of that they will also convert standard models to premium.

The latter may matter to collectors. They will need the better models for GT6 anyway. They may or may not charge for the improved cars in GT5.

KY didn't say PD will stop improving GT5. ^_^

EDIT:
They've already sold a ton of copies; the press alreahdy dutifully used the highest qualiity models and mode for screenshots; people already insist that the game is overwhelmingly fun, so I don't know what they have left to prove.

The game is fun, yes. You can tell by looking at all the GAF complains and yet the same people can't stop playing. :)

Polyphony has a lot to do, specifically w.r.t. patching some GT5 shortfalls and planning for GT6.

On top of that they will also convert standard models to premium.

Glad they are doing this. I'm not really into Japanese cars, so my GT5 garage is basically all standard cars with maybe two Japanese premiums that I don't like but have to keep around for certain events. I don't expect them to make my Pontiac Lemans premium anytime soon, but it would be nice if they gave more non Japanese vehicles the premium treatment.

Premium cars are not all Japanese ! I bought Audi TT yesterday, which is a premium also. I'm sure there are other non-Japanese premium vehicles in the game today.

Premium cars are not all Japanese ! I bought Audi TT yesterday, which is a premium also. I'm sure there are other non-Japanese premium vehicles in the game today.

No but it sure seems like they mostly are, at least according to my vehicle preferences. I'm always ending up with standard cars when I buy the ones I want, premium ones so far are scarce.

Official car list:
http://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo-5-official-car-list/

You'll find European and American Premium cars easily.

Must be pure coincidence then, because when I look at the used car list and buy what I like, it's been standard every time so far. I don't buy based on standard/premium, I buy what vehicle I like. My purchase habits so far have resulted lots of cars but they all standard, your mileage may vary. I'm only level 11 though so I presume it gets better. In the meantime I welcome premium updates from PD.

Yes, as per normal, people are affected by their own experiences and background. However, there is no reason to think Polyphony would focus on Japanese cars specifically though. It won't sell more games or make gamers happy. European and American cars are exciting too. I believe Kazunori said his favorite car is the American made Ford GT (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kazunori_Yamauchi) and he owns 2 in real life.

Back