Official GT5 discussion thread

It has to be the entire month right ? A 5 week month this time. So if you launch earlier in the month, you have longer run way.

According to GAF, the last day of tracking was the 27th (Oct. 31st to Nov. 27th). So if that includes the 27th, then I guess it would be 4 days.

I see. They go by weekly collection strictly and don't tally the entire month. My old customers wanted the weekly view as well as calendar month view. Phhhhpppt...

I had recorded a tiny bit of my Alfa race by the time it got cloudy. I'll do some similar ones if the other parts of the race (first bit with sun, start of actual rain, rain plus nightfall etc, when I get back home.

They're quoting Sony's report, which is shipped numbers. It sold 440k in the US alone in the 3 days of NPD's reporting period for November. It probably sold another 2-300k (or maybe a little more) since then in the US, plus whatever it sold in Canada and Latin America.

It's also important to note that NPD doesn't track all retailers, and while their numbers are accurate, they're still only a part of the picture. I'd bet that the game sold around 500K easily in November.

Has there been any word from PD as to whether they are still working on models to be released in the game?

As an absolute minimum every car required for an event should have a premium model available. I only want to do premium models so having to slum it with a Lupo GTi race car and a Pickup Truck just doesn't sit right.

What's a good car for Historic Cup in Expert Mode? This event is much harder than the other ones in Expert. It's even much harder than some of the events in Extreme.
Anyone? I managed to win the Deep Forest race with a RM Z28, but I couldn't manage 1st in Cote d'Azur.

edit: nm, just beat it with a tuned '74 Lambo Countach with RS tires, a wing with the downforce in the rear cranked to 20, transmission set to a max speed of 168, and all assists off except ABS at 1 (I use ABS-1 for all cars). Handled awesome and won the race fairly easily. Credit to youtube for the tip.

Last edited by a moderator:
And here I was, struggeling but managing it with a tuned AC Cobra. Oh well, at least I did manage it. Could have saved me a lot of money by going with the Lambo though ...

I agree it would have been nice if they could have found a way to allow you to do all events in Premium cars. At least all the Special Events are in Premiums.

What level are you at Arwin? Have you beat all of the events yet? I have 7 or so more events to go. I've only done a few of the challenges though.
I'm currently at level 23 with just under 3m of credits, 29 cars (15 premium, 14 standard). I'm slowly working my way through b-spec mode, too (just made it to level 15).

edit: sweet, just won a Zonda in b-spec.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel like the next step in simulation for these games should be to introduce a more-serious-less-serious model for crashing. This will get the game vs real factor under control. Of course they'll Ned to make the games way easier until you get to F1 racing level...

To clarify, I mean that every major crash should kick you out and make you pay for a new car. The assumption would b that you always have two (identical) cars on hand, so you wouldn't need to go through the trouble of buying, tuning, and tweaking repeatedly. In endurance races, you could even use your second car to try to catch up, if you want. But the important factor is that you know that for any amateur level, typical race, you're going to have to go through the pain in the ass --no quitting or restarting allowed after crash -- of losing $20k every time you carelessly fling your civic R into a wall (or competitor).

To compensate you also need to raise cash awards to reasonable levels (maybe 10x car class value average - or better still, proper seasonal awards), and train the AI to play by the same rules. Hopefully what this system would give you is a reason to concentrate, and reason to go carefully when in doubt, and a reason to come in fourth...

I have three Extreme events to go, Nascar, Formula GT and that last one. I'm at Level 23 also. I have completed all available special events and licences. I have about 90 cars I think of which a little under 30 are Premium cars. My B-Spec driver is level 7 yet, mostly because I wanted the Furai. I spent a lot of cash on modding the ac cobra to win the classic cup, so perhaps I will also try to B-Spec my way to a Zonda to also raise some money for getting a Formula One car. So far I haven't had to grind for money or XP at all yet, mostly thanks to all the money in the Special Events. But I have 2.4m now so I may need to grind a little for the 5 needed to get a 2nd hand FGT and the Nascar car.

To get the Zonda, I think I beat the last event in Professional B-Spec. It handles great, but with so much power behind the rear wheels (completely tuned), the tail wants to kick out a lot (especially accelerating out of second gear).

Just finished Expert and I have 5 events left in Extreme (Nascar, F1, Like the Wind, German Touring Championship and Dream Car Championship).

Great movie showing AI in GT 5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_HJSJLL8_I

There are many situation i've been talking about weeks ago and some quite new. Really good video. All reviewers should watch it if they claimed that AI is bad in this game.

Great? It better than that, it shows that there actually are losers out there that will spend time setting up GT5 as a shitty game with piss poor AI compared to their precious Forza 3, when that precious game is just as piss poor under the same conditions. And of course it´s linked like "fact" all over the internet.

Yap. But the reviewers should have noticed that GT5 has to have bigger scope for AI drivers simply because of B-Spec. In B-Spec, besides the enemy AI, Polyphony also needs to implement a parameterized AI driver for us to control.
That should be much easier actually, because it completely removes the "uncertainty" factor that you have when the enemy AI has to play against an unpredictable human opponent. Real opponents can't be easily "parameterized" and accounted for... ;)

... which is why I said "larger scope" and didn't say more difficult/easy to do. The latter is an implementation question. Reviewers won't know.

B-Spec should give their computer AI a larger scope. The added complexity (e.g., driver personality) is needed for B-Spec gameplay. The AI cars will compete with each other in an intelligent and "emotional" way.

In A-Spec, they will need to tune and wire up the driver AI to the user action. In GT5, since there can be no wheel assist, this is even more difficult as the AI system needs to deal with instant action by the user.

KKRT's video shows that the AI has indeed improved; but some users want more specific changes (i.e., do NOT run into them that often, or reduce the effect of bumping into the player). These can be tweaked via the AI, driving physics and the mechanical damage.

Back