Official GT5 discussion thread

I thought the ones I took were pretty nice too :p

344nts.jpg
AU2f9s.jpg
72LUJs.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/344nt.jpg http://i.imgur.com/AU2f9.jpg http://i.imgur.com/72LUJ.jpg

Even 1/4th while playing ?
oh common its not that bad either, the car models are quite close to photo mode, quality wise. Beside it certainly helps to look at the game in motion.

Anyone driven a RUF yet? I won a RUF BTR '86 with a level 9 car ticket. Very interesting to drive, always fighting to keep the backside from overtaking the front when it starts to slide, but still very controllable.

I used it in the Turbo challenge. One of the best races so far because it was a very close match up with the opponents. Always there to take first place if I made a mistake. And it came with a familiar sight. Cross the finish line in first place and see the AI that takes over very quickly lose first place.

oh common its not that bad either, the car models are quite close to photo mode, quality wise. Beside it certainly helps to look at the game in motion.

Also higher framerate during gameplay. If they improve the shadow like the online patch, then it'd be good too.

Btw, how do you change your GT5 avatar ?

EDIT:

Anyone driven a RUF yet? I won a RUF BTR '86 with a level 9 car ticket. Very interesting to drive, always fighting to keep the backside from overtaking the front when it starts to slide, but still very controllable.

I used it in the Turbo challenge. One of the best races so far because it was a very close match up with the opponents. Always there to take first place if I made a mistake. And it came with a familiar sight. Cross the finish line in first place and see the AI that takes over very quickly lose first place.

How does it compare to the latest Nissan GTR ? and Mercedes SLS ?

I :love: the SL300 before playing GT5. Like it even more after the AMG challenge. The above 2 cars are the only ones I'm interested to try in the game.

If it even looked 1/4th as good as that when playing... Oh well next-gen.

Well, it still looks really, really good. Do you have the game? I can send you the replay - watch that from cockpit view in 1080p, looks pretty amazing, especially the lighting in day/night and weather transitions is quite stunning. And this car is really, really beautiful.

You playing the same game I am? The game doesn't look nearly that good when you're playing it. Maybe it would on a GTX580 or something.

Well, it still looks really, really good. Do you have the game? I can send you the replay - watch that from cockpit view in 1080p, looks pretty amazing, especially the lighting in day/night and weather transitions is quite stunning. And this car is really, really beautiful.

Replay mode looks a lot better than gameplay, with the cleaned up shadows and motion blur. I would like an option for 30FPS with Replay quality visuals, just to toy around with.

Not that I'm up in arms or anything, but it seemed like he was saying the gameplay doesn't look that much worse than:
AU2f9.jpg

There is a generational gap between the above screenshot and what the game actually looks like.

Replay mode looks a lot better than gameplay, with the cleaned up shadows and motion blur. I would like an option for 30FPS with Replay quality visuals, just to toy around with.

I don't actually believe that the replay cockpit view is 30FPS, but I could be wrong. I don't see a big difference anyway, I've been driving this race for 45 minutes and it still looks beautiful! You just see tearing a bit more often in 1080p.

Of course the photomode shot is much better looking and yes I agree it will be crazy that one day games will look like that. Who knows - five, maybe ten years from now. :)

But I will repeat - the game still looks stellar even when you're driving. This combo of the car, the evening light and the Ring is just really fantastic. Even the sound is way above GT5's average. It's one of the best showcases for this game and one of the best virtual driving experiences I've ever had.

You playing the same game I am? The game doesn't look nearly that good when you're playing it. Maybe it would on a GTX580 or something.

You're missing the point in light of your thoughts that the game doesn't look "one quarter" as good.

The point is, the game still looks great, and the premium models look great. If this engine had the horsepower it needed, then a simple bump in AA and better shadows would make it look nearly spot on with the photomode shots.

Your comment seems to suggest you think the game looks like shit, to which nightshade clearly refuted your claim (and correctly so).

Replay mode is 30FPS ONLY when you choose the broadcast cam, in any other view it runs at the same framerate as it does while playing the game.

Not that I'm up in arms or anything, but it seemed like he was saying the gameplay doesn't look that much worse than:
No, I was saying that saying that claiming that the game doesn't looks close to even 1/4th of that is simply wrong, simply cause photomode doesn't adds anything extra to the scene itself. Surely it improves the IQ to the infinity with its super sampling (and fixes the shaders too) , but a blurry texture is still a blurry texture in photomode and a low poly edge is still just as edgy. for. eg. the car here.

Beside people are way too critical on these stuff, you have to realize that a screenshot is just an individual frame....while playing something you get to see a lot more than 1 frame per second.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't get too defensive now, no need for that Homerdog is right - the quality and detail of this photo mode shot is amazing, after all! Absolutely the game doesn't look like even 1/4th of this, but also like patsu said, when you're racing the depth of field is a bit pointless, and the fluent animation of everything and the fact that you're driving and can't focus on the details much still gives a great impression.

Yes, except for the shadow, it's a very pretty game. I really want to play this game in 3D. The Mercedes challenges should be a dizzy experience. ^_^

They should patch the single player shadow at some point, may be after they improve the AI and mechanical damage for high level SP races.

may be after they improve the AI and mechanical damage for high level SP races.

Hopefully they make that optional then though - I'm at level 23 now and things are hard enough most of the time!

Yes, except for the shadow, it's a very pretty game. I really want to play this game in 3D. The Mercedes challenges should be a dizzy experience. ^_^

I'll try to scare you by mentioning that the Mercedes challenges are very very scary :devilish:

Hopefully they make that optional then though - I'm at level 23 now and things are hard enough most of the time!

Yeah… I am not so sure about mechanical damage (damn you, damage whores !), but AI-wise, they should be able to dial up or down the difficulty if they have proper AI for higher level races.

I'll try to scare you by mentioning that the Mercedes challenges are very very scary :devilish:

I did one round of all the AMG Beginner events already ! Totally :love: :love: it. Got a little scared when I went too fast but really like the sense of speed.

[size=-2]It's completely different from the SambaBus challenge, that's for sure ! :LOL:[/size]

You're missing the point in light of your thoughts that the game doesn't look "one quarter" as good.

The point is, the game still looks great, and the premium models look great. If this engine had the horsepower it needed, then a simple bump in AA and better shadows would make it look nearly spot on with the photomode shots.

Your comment seems to suggest you think the game looks like shit, to which nightshade clearly refuted your claim (and correctly so).

Goodness I never meant to imply that. The game looks good (hell most PC games don't look as good and they run on 5x the hardware). But it looks way better in photo mode. That is all I meant to say.

Yeah I get you… the freaking game has inconsistent visuals anyway.

Whatever.

What is the best car in your garage now ?

I've already seen the game in person and grabs/HQ HD videos. Thing is I am not saying it looks bad but the ingame play visuals are not anywhere near the photomode visuals. Difference looks as big as Operation Flashpoint 2 ingame visuals and promo visuals. Photomode sporting much higher buffer resolutions, lighting precision/type, LODs, Bokeh DOF, OBM (by shutterspeed?) etc. Also replay is 30fps. But yeah the day/night transition is the highlight of GT5. Rain is a pita though for rain drops on windshield but the rest is nice.

Back