Official GT5 discussion thread

Yap, I was surprised the races were that easy, but it's very encouraging. I am not familiar with tuning though. Probably need it later on ? I have seen people suggesting increasing gear ratio, change tires, etc. I may not know what to do next. :)

GT5 wise, from twitter i got these bits:
Online "credit and experience" is prepared. To wait longer. RT @Wwr_Nitrous: @Kaz_Yamauchi XP and Credits Online Be Soon available?

I tried it. But it was desperately needed time to render. The reason is simple enough memory a bit. I'm still considering it. RT @Miguel_Duarte: @Kaz_Yamauchi "YouTube Video Upload Function"?

There are several reasons. Camera flexible in extreme need of lighting, wide dynamic, that was not enough cost-effective. I want to improve it. @Kaz_Yamauchi Why do all look Fuzzy Shadows

The future, I would .... deal. RT @Fersis: @Kaz_Yamauchi Could You Add a HUD No Option?

"Sebastian Vettel challenge," I appear at level 30. RT @Johnlatchamf1: @Kaz_Yamauchi How do I Unlock the Red Bull X1? I'm Level 25 and completed all Special ...

GT-FORCE PRO key configuration for the time being set is enabled. Full support is to wait a little longer. RT @Fazple: @Kaz_Yamauchi key configuration is implemented in G27 G25 · What can update?

Mechanical damage options in the next update. Probably around early December. RT @Y_Mokko: @Kaz_Yamauchi RT @Damekuma: I think Ishi Makoto was not bound to change the expression level of damage in those options.

Would be released soon. And 2-Disc soundtrack, what Lenglen. RT @5K3: @Kaz_Yamauchi as selfish but I did it yesterday GT5走Ritaku OP will also look at why is it. By the way, this soundtrack is what I expect?

http://twitter.com/#!/Kaz_Yamauchi

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh my god it is insanely hard to get gold on some of the challenges and license tests.

I am really floored with how good this looks on such ancient hardware. There are only a few things holding it back from photorealism (wrt the cars at least). I wish so hard they could release this on PC some day.

Yap, I was surprised the races were that easy, but it's very encouraging. I am not familiar with tuning though. Probably need it later on ? I have seen people suggesting increasing gear ratio, change tires, etc. I may not now what to do next. :)

There is an event for tuned cars . Of course you can buy one of the pre-tuned ones which are usually nice but a self-tuned car will do as well.
Also in some of the races there is a special car that is ahead of all others , so if you want the gold you have to pimp your car unless it`s already in a higher class. In the Rally special event there`s a hp limit but if your car doesn`t cut it you can still do weight reductions etc.

Btw ,just got to level 20 and easily golded the Loeb challenge (tip: disable all helpers , drifting is faster - dispite them telling you to avoid it to win ).

What do license tests teach you ? Also any good tuning guide around ?

OK, I will now be a goofus and try to answer without having played GT5:

License tests usually teach how to hit apexes, predict braking distances, and deal with changes to handling caused by things like hills. They're actually quite useful in almost every GT game. Getting all golds is usually an annoying task, but getting silvers is usually a good indication that you are a competent driver.

Tuning -- again I have no idea what is in this game but -- tuning IMO usually involves three critical unavoidable issues: the firstmost is gearbox. An stock gearbox is designed for fuel economy. Your goal is to replace that with an adjustable gearbox that lets you get no more than 3 MPG. Adjusting only the final drive ratio can be useful for most people -- this basically lets you set a new desired top speed, and keeps all the gears in a similar proportion to which they were previously. However, a fully adjustable gearbox is necessary for peak performance. Usuaully your first gear should be impractically long -- it sucks if you crash, it makes it easy to stall (in RL, or just go slowly from a stop in video games), but it's necessary to keep your standing launch from just doing donuts. The other gears should be pretty damn short -- try to learn your engine's power band -- the rpm range which gives maximum power -- and adjust gear ratios to keep your engine always in that range.

ok off to work. maybe i'll do parts two and three later!

Mwaha, bus+internet!! If anyone finds this miniguide unusuable because of irrelevancy to GT5, or terminology, let me know, and I'll edit it to try to make it useful to noobs.

So, step two in your tuning adventure should usually be handling. Increasing power too early just makes your car disqualified for many events! Your suspension setup will obviously be different in GT5, but basically you want the fully adjustable spring and damper setup all around. Buying intermediate suspension parts is usually just a waste. So, you fit the tires you'll be using, and then i suggest as a base tweak, max all settings (fully hard, lol). Now you'll need to do some trial and error. Over time you'll get an idea for what proportions adjustments should be made in, for example keeping rebound dampening slightly less than bump damping, etc. But start by maxing everything. You'll hopefully get an impossibly stiff ride. Next, slowly soften all settings until you're not overdriving your tires too terribly. Then, basically, tweak to taste - soften front wheel settings to decrease understeer (if car feels not-agile). Soften rear settings to decrease oversteer (if car does a lot of donuts).

The limit to tweaking is directly related to your driving ability. If you're great with the analog controls, you can have lots of oversteer on tap for tighter cornering. Very fast cars and most 4wd cars will need limited slip differentials, a programmable brake controller, andfront and rear wings. These are a little tricky but the concept is the same - more power/less downforce in rear to get the tail out, or the other way round to keep the tail tucked in.

I restarted all over in my office PS3. I assumed the save is not transferable (like Demon's Souls >_<).

It seems that I can't enter a license test without a car in my garage. :-/

Also, is there any downside to buying a used car ? I need to repair them ? I saw some cars I like going for cheap.

Thanks poopypoo, I'll read your writeup later. :p

EDIT: I :love: GAF
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=24670379&postcount=16545
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=24670445&postcount=16548

Differences between used cars and new cars:

they are all standard models with no interiors, simplistic exterior modelling and no ability to show them off in photo travel mode.

unless I really need something super specific as a standard model - like a pickup truck, I always try to get a new, premium model that will work in a race event even if it costs an extra 10K credits or whatever.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=24670452&postcount=16549

Price to repair used cars:

I ain't playing at the minute but off the top of my head I beleive it's 200c for an oil change and 10,000c for an overhaul.

I'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong

The finalish step is of course, power upgrades, but I'm sure you can figure these out. More horsepower = good, although there are some minor tips i would give like dropping a 450 hp v8 into a front wheel drive car doesn't necessarily make it any faster, and for example, getting the most out of turbos may require doing any mods that adjust the redline (chip, cams) first.

More importantly, the final step is making your car AWWSUMM. Your goal should be to make you deeply regret the day you have to upgrade to a new car, and to constantly remind you that your pimped road car is vastly superior to any manufacturer stickered monstrosity the game foolishly gives you after winning your second series (usually ruining the game). Give it stripes, mad mad stripes, candy paint, and humongous chrome rims. If possible get the graphic engine to clip the fender flares vigorously with your gigantic wheels. Try to blind your MP opponents with your paint scheme! See if you can crash the game by stacking thousands of decals! Pro tip: Japanese family cars usually have the most hilarious ground effects packages available. ;)

Heh heh, the game is actually pretty amazing and addictive. Now I understand why people loved it.

Started off close to last place. Kept racing and chipping at opponent's position, found myself leaning from side to side as I negotiated the turns, went back to tweak my little underpowered car until I finally edged out. ^_^

Worst thing is the load time, since I needed to re-race quite a few times.

Probably wasted too much money on my lightweight car (supercharged, sports exhaust, improved transmission), but what the heck... fake money comes easy. :devilish:

Racing with the pad is surprisingly easy. I'm guessing the wheel will make things more challenging (but more realistic).

Oh my god it is insanely hard to get gold on some of the challenges and license tests.

It is, but trust me when I say that most tests are quite a bit easier without the TCS on. Still hard, but a *lot* easier.

Pad works great in this game. Wheel makes some things more challenging, but other things easier ('reading' the car's behavior, like when in a chicane the weight of the car is shifting to the other side so your car is ready to turn), and allows you to transfer more real-life skills to the game.

In the older games, i thought exhaust pipes were necessary upgrades, because even the V8s sounded more like VTECs (Integras) than real engines. But light cars can handle power better than you might think. Often it's more a matter of weight distribution (45/55 is pretty ideal) and power distribution (FWD bad, RWD good). And shitty tires, crap tires are hopeless.

What did you do to get the Ending creadits? Beat all the Professional challenges? Get to the 50% point? I'm level 20 (or 21?) and I've already done a bunch of Expert challenges and have unlocked Extreme, but no Endurance races yet (those come soon after the Extreme levels). I also haven't completed the Special Events yet. My percentage is something like 40%, but I know the later in the game you are the slower that percentage goes up generally. ;) Must have played at least 30 hours so far (you can see how many km I've driven at any rate)

What you get when completing a series by the way is a 'level xx' car ticket. Once you collect it, you get a random car of that level. You don't have any control over what you get as far as I can tell. I think even Prologue had these ending credits before it unlocked the S mode, right? Very typical of a GT game.

Just beat "Gran Turismo World Championship" which is the last box in the Pro series to get the credits "ending video". I am only at 25% completion based on the profile.

I expect there is more than one "ending" video to this game though.

According to what SONY told IGN damage is not unlocked.

Sony has since clarified to IGN how damage works in the game. "Damage occurs to cars right from the beginning," Sony said in a statement, "it is not "unlocked."

I think I'm going to buy GT5 next week or so and then borrow a friends PS3. I really want to play it but not so much that I would re-buy a PS3.

According to what SONY told IGN damage is not unlocked.

I think I'm going to buy GT5 next week or so and then borrow a friends PS3. I really want to play it but not so much that I would re-buy a PS3.
They have to clarify what they mean. Do they mean that basic minor damage exists from tne beginning and the more detailed damage apears later? Or do they mean that the detailed damage exists from the beginning?

Also do they mean cosmetic damage or damage that affects the handling?

They have to clarify what they mean. Do they mean that basic minor damage exists from tne beginning and the more detailed damage apears later? Or do they mean that the detailed damage exists from the beginning?

Also do they mean cosmetic damage or damage that affects the handling?

As you can see the IGN blurb was just that, a blurb, so it wasn't much help.

We drove around the track the wrnog way and had head-on collisions, plus smacked into plenty of walls, with narry a dent nor a wobbly steering wheel, so there's more than just "damage is in the game".

I have yet to even experiment with damage - so far I've been doing the career, and so far I'm just worried if I scratch my car and happy that so far I don't seem to have damaged any of my cars seriously enough to notice (reset the race after any 'major' crash though). I've seen some pretty damaged cars in online races though (I hear you can damage your car in Practice mode at all levels in career mode, which is ironic in a way)

I could imagine that if you do an Arcade race you get more damage depending on what difficulty you choose for your race, but again I haven't looked into this at all.

I presume mechanical damage is either unlocked or just not in the game yet, as Kazunori I think said it would be added in December or something like that.

@inefficient: yeah, I guessed it would be after completing the beginner, amateur and professional leagues.

Visual damage is already in the game. I saw a level 40 driver rammed into something and his hatch popped up as the rear lifted a little due to the momentum.

I think KZ mentioned earlier that mechanical damage will come in a patch, but he also said that damage can be enabled instead of waiting for level 20. It's the last statement that needs clarification since I don't know which damage system he's referring to.

I'm going to get a DFGT today, will use it for good 2 months & then buy a Fanatec wheel.

@ Patsu
You got yourself a wheel yet ?

Back