Official GT5 discussion thread

Any news on the "Gran Turismo Anywhere" web portal?
This was supposed to be a kind of GT5 B-Spec that you can play on a web browser and other community features.
Haven't heard anything about it since it was first announced some time ago.
The official GT site has nothing about it.

They do, actually. It's supposed to launch sometime in December (thank god!). Honestly, as strange as it sounds, I'm happy it's not here now, as my grades would seriously suffer! Wifi in class is a BAD BAD thing, LOL.

http://us.gran-turismo.com/us/products/gt5/bspec/

Look at "Remote Races" for details, as well as GT Anywhere.

Basically, you enable remote race, leave your PS3 on, and when you log into the GT website, you'll be able to start races via the web browser.

Any news on the "Gran Turismo Anywhere" web portal?
This was supposed to be a kind of GT5 B-Spec that you can play on a web browser and other community features.
Haven't heard anything about it since it was first announced some time ago.
The official GT site has nothing about it.

They described it in B-Spec section on GT site [in list of feature], but PD hasnt unlocked it yet.

Bad things so far (level 15):

- The shadows but its not important.

- Can't rewind replays (or can I?)

- It can be VERY dark.
Had to turn off full RGB support and up the gamma.

- Aliasing
Too much of it when sitting close.
What happened to gow3 MSAA. It would be perfect

- The track editor.
I felt like some japanese developer pulled down his pants and literally urinated on my face.
What is that? that is no editor. I was already dreaming of corners and layouts and BAM I'm slapped on the face (or urinated).

- The blurriness
prevents me from judging corners at a distance. The cockpit dials are also very, very blurred. Can barely tell the speed looking at them. why...? its in your face. Make it pretty.

- Mixed impressions from the Forcefeedback
The sound makes me believe I am touching the apexes. But no shacking forcefeedback. I have to make more tests.

-physics
They vary but are a lot more closer to what the PC has to offer (I come from LFS). But I find it very unrealistic how a car loses grip on all 4 wheels and just keeps skidding at low speeds. A ferrari F40 doesn't keep skidding at 50kph. Jesus... I cannot skid my own car at 50kph and it has bicycle wheels compared to the F40.

- No G25 official support inside the game

- Flying car syndrome (as in not touching the ground). really obvious when going over apexes.

- visible Wheel degrees do not reflect actual steering wheel degrees.

- No option to remove the visible wheel

Good things so far:

- Challenges

- Nurburgring (played it to death on GTR. Its better on GT5)

- Weather. specially fog

- Nascar
Holy crap. Being European I totally diss Nascar. But I admit I am heavily impressed with its physics and feeling.

Last edited by a moderator:
-physics
They vary but are a lot more closer to what the PC has to offer (I come from LFS). But I find it very unrealistic how a car loses grip on all 4 wheels and just keeps skidding at low speeds. A ferrari F40 doesn't keep skidding at 50kph. Jesus... I cannot skid my own car at 50kph and it has bicycle wheels compared to the F40.

This is something that was present in GT5 P also. On the fantasy track going into the tight right handers the cars would just push like no tomorrow.

Another thing I've noticed is that you can't play with the throttle to steer the car. My real life car is a 2002 z06 and in longer corners I can travel up and down the road just by giving it more gas or letting off. This is true on track and road. Other high performance cars I've driven at a good clip do the same thing but in GT5, you can't do that. The car will continue to push even when you roll off instead of turning back in. People who have done extensive karting will also know what I mean. You're positive throttle into a corner starting to push and you do a quick off/on (or multiple) to get the nose pointed and tighten up your line. So far, in GT5 once the push starts it takes time to recover and you can't really manage your line with the throttle. The lift off oversteer gets the car pointed without needing any correction. You keep a tight line, get the front end pointed at the exit and gas out hard. In GT5, getting that nose to point seem very much pre determined by your entry speeds. Mid corner adjustments seems to be more steering related than throttle related. Perhaps tuning the car can dial some of that in?

The most impressive thing about GT5's model is the feedback. Whether the cars behavior is accurate remains to be seen but I have a good idea of what the car is going to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
I played some more over the holiday weekend and have some more thoughts about GT5 for discussion:

- I love it when this game hits it's graphical stride. There are some times where I'm almost stunned at the level of graphical fidelity they managed to achieve. Technically it's impressive that it runs as smoothly as it does--especially at 1080P--but as someone who enjoyed arcade racers much more, I admit the lack of flare makes it appear a bit too "flat" at times. I understand that's the point of a Gran Turismo/simulation game, but I'm just saying my brain is wired to enjoy arcadey graphical pizazz more than this and I still find it gorgeous (at times). I know it might not appear so, I'm actually trying to compliment the game here. :)

I do have to admit that--and I know it's nitpicking, but I feel it's totally reasonable with GT5 since it's such a high profile title--at times I've wondered what Polyphony could have achieved if they bumped the resolution down to 720P. Perhaps less aliasing on shadows (it's bad, can we all admit that)? Better post-processing effects? A more solid 60 frames? To me the benefits for "a-bullet-point" 1080P is marginal over 720P. It seems the required processing power between the two is pretty large. I guess what I'm getting to is this: 1080P is a waste of time for GT5.

- If you do not own a car that fits the requirements of a race, finding something appropriate is too laborious. Last night I was trying to play the Lightweight Cup and none of the cars I own fit the bill. So a windows pops up with a lengthy list of all the applicable cars in the game, and I'm thinking "what am I supposed to do with this list? Write it all down? Why can't the game dump my into the new/used car lot with these cars available to pick from? I mean, this is the best they could come up with? I just found it unnecessarily tedious.

- Cart racing is a lot of fun! In fact the Special Events section is, so far, my favorite part of the game. Even though I use to own a 1970 VW bus (I was a totally hippy in a previous life), the Top Gear races have been the most frustrating races in the game for me. I understand the point of it all, so I've realized that I lack the skill or patience (or both) and have accepted the bronze medal mentally as a gold. :)

- Uncanny valley Jeff Gordon in creepy.

- Menus are still too slow to navigate. Not a new complaint, but worth mentioning.

- My absolute favorite feature in NFS Hot Pursuit is the "autolog" (a tracker of your race times vs your friends times, very easily presented to you before and after a race) and how well it's integrated into the game. GT5 doesn’t even have leaderboards, at least as far as I can tell. It feels like a massively overlooked feature, and I still find myself looking around for my PSN buddies scores after a race for comparison.

- Car damage being a progressive unlockable is a bad idea.

Lastly, I know it's going to sound like I'm trolling with this question but I swear I'm not: Do all the cars in the game sound like plastic boats when they bump into one another? You know the "bunk-bomp" sound? I'm hoping it's just limited to the Ford Taurus.

Another thing I've noticed is that you can't play with the throttle to steer the car. My real life car is a 2002 z06 and in longer corners I can travel up and down the road just by giving it more gas or letting off. This is true on track and road. Other high performance cars I've driven at a good clip do the same thing but in GT5, you can't do that. The car will continue to push even when you roll off instead of turning back in. People who have done extensive karting will also know what I mean. You're positive throttle into a corner starting to push and you do a quick off/on (or multiple) to get the nose pointed and tighten up your line. So far, in GT5 once the push starts it takes time to recover and you can manage it with throttle. We're not talking about overstreering/drifting btw to those not familiar with this.
From my experience, that's present in the GT5 game, at least that's how I got gold (after countless tries) on the A-8 license test. Maybe it's less obvious than real life, but it's there. It definitely varies from car to car though. The Top Gear Lotus Elise challenge is a handful for example.

- If you do not own a car that fits the requirements of a race, finding something appropriate is too laborious. Last night I was trying to play the Lightweight Cup and none of the cars I own fit the bill. So a windows pops up with a lengthy list of all the applicable cars in the game, and I'm thinking "what am I supposed to do with this list? Write it all down? Why can't the game dump my into the new/used car lot with these cars available to pick from? I mean, this is the best they could come up with? I just found it unnecessarily tedious.
Instead of memorizing the applicable cars, why don't you just go by the requirements. I mean there are only a couple of them usually. Just look at the weights of the cars for example.

Any backlash this game might have is a good thing. They are far to stuck in their ways to go on like this. GT4 was already considered to be somewhat of a disappointment, and it's clear they still haven't made any improvements in a lot of areas in GT5. To make matters worse they also made a lot compromises in graphics.

It is very obvious they can't go on like this with GT6. Assuming it's for the PS4, it'll take them even longer to create a single car or track. They need to rethink the whole franchise, figure out what is and isn't important, and only focus on the important stuff. Building a small core game that can be expanded on through DLC. Yamauchi clearly can't handle the creative freedom he's been given, and needs either strict guidelines and time limits, or be removed from the final decision making.

I like GT5 a lot, but it's easy to see it could have been so much more.

Instead of memorizing the applicable cars, why don't you just go by the requirements. I mean there are only a couple of them usually. Just look at the weights of the cars for example.

Or click on the garage icon in the lower right corner, and it'll immediately filter out the car you use for that race.

GT5 doesn’t even have leaderboards, at least as far as I can tell. It feels like a massively overlooked feature, and I still find myself looking around for my PSN buddies scores after a race for comparison.

Leaderboard and matchmaking are not in GT5. They will come in a patch according to here:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-11-24-kaz-not-sure-if-gt6-will-be-on-ps3

With GT5 finally releasing today, Yamauchi-san also responded to criticism of the online feature set, revealing to Eurogamer, "Online updates are planned of course for leaderboards and matchmaking - [they're] all planned in the process of evolution."

- My absolute favorite feature in NFS Hot Pursuit is the "autolog" (a tracker of your race times vs your friends times, very easily presented to you before and after a race) and how well it's integrated into the game. GT5 doesn’t even have leaderboards, at least as far as I can tell. It feels like a massively overlooked feature, and I still find myself looking around for my PSN buddies scores after a race for comparison.

- Car damage being a progressive unlockable is a bad idea.

Autolog is actually a carry over from Burnout Paradise, actually, and it was much better in implementation there :D

GT5 does not, in its current state, have leader boards. It wasn't an omission or an oversight, however. Kazunori has stated that Leadboards have been planned for a while, and are on their way, however, they are giving them an overhaul (rather, an "evolution" of leaderboards, from Prologue).

As for car damage, I strongly strongly disagree. I think gradually building up the risk / reward for higher level races is a fantastic road to progression. I'm not trying to be insulting, but judging from your post it sounds like you're not too familiar with sim racers / and or higher level racing. Damage probably isn't something a player of your level (again, I'm assuming so if I'm wrong correct me) really needs to have turned on to elevate the possible frustration of playing the game.

Lastly, in reference to finding cars, it's EXTREMELY easy. You can look at the "usual competition" or whatever it is, and there will be a staggering list of cars that are in those events. It's pretty easy to find one to race with :)

I played some more over the holiday weekend and have some more thoughts about GT5 for discussion:
I do have to admit that--and I know it's nitpicking, but I feel it's totally reasonable with GT5 since it's such a high profile title--at times I've wondered what Polyphony could have achieved if they bumped the resolution down to 720P. Perhaps less aliasing on shadows (it's bad, can we all admit that)? Better post-processing effects? A more solid 60 frames? To me the benefits for "a-bullet-point" 1080P is marginal over 720P. It seems the required processing power between the two is pretty large. I guess what I'm getting to is this: 1080P is a waste of time for GT5.

You can play it in 720p, and there is still (very little) tearing at times and framerate doesn't even always stick to 60fps consistently, so whatever they did, there doesn't seem to be that much margin for improvement. 60fps on console with HDR and 4xMSAA is a stretch no matter which way you turn it I guess.

If you do not own a car that fits the requirements of a race, finding something appropriate is too laborious. Last night I was trying to play the Lightweight Cup and none of the cars I own fit the bill. So a windows pops up with a lengthy list of all the applicable cars in the game, and I'm thinking "what am I supposed to do with this list? Write it all down? Why can't the game dump my into the new/used car lot with these cars available to pick from? I mean, this is the best they could come up with? I just found it unnecessarily tedious.

It's ordered by the best cars on top usually (power vs weight) and as mentioned, you just go by finding something that matches the requirements. These are just examples of the type of opponents you'll get, not just the list of applicable cars. The real requirements are mentioned under Entry requirements.

- Cart racing is a lot of fun! In fact the Special Events section is, so far, my favorite part of the game. Even though I use to own a 1970 VW bus (I was a totally hippy in a previous life), the Top Gear races have been the most frustrating races in the game for me. I understand the point of it all, so I've realized that I lack the skill or patience (or both) and have accepted the bronze medal mentally as a gold. :)

I love the special events section too! I wish there was more kart racing, but thankfully you can use them anywhere, use the track editor to make nice suitable tracks for them, and you can race them online. :)

- Uncanny valley Jeff Gordon in creepy.

Agreed! Not very well done.

- Menus are still too slow to navigate. Not a new complaint, but worth mentioning.

I'm fine with them. Takes a little to get used to, but I get around quick enough - you just need to know to use the shortcut buttons. ;)

I agree that the autolog in NFS is awesome. But think of it this way - if the autolog was in GT5, then nobody would by NFS anymore. ;) More seriously, there are two points here - first of all, there is the 'Log' which is similar to GT4's diary, but is completely online and you can watch those of your friends very easily. Currently it is disabled most of the time due to server overload (a shame, but hey), but it does show progress, times, etc.

Second, the online leaderboards are apparently coming in the December patch (planned long enough in advance to be in the manual at least), so we can look forward to getting that feature soon. I expect it should at least be as good as the one in Prologue, and hopefully even better.

Lastly, I know it's going to sound like I'm trolling with this question but I swear I'm not: Do all the cars in the game sound like plastic boats when they bump into one another? You know the "bunk-bomp" sound? I'm hoping it's just limited to the Ford Taurus.

They all have the same sound. If that's what it sounds like on your system though, I'm glad I have a good system, but the sound you're hearing is what it sounds like if you hit a piece of car body hard.

Or click on the garage icon in the lower right corner, and it'll immediately filter out the car you use for that race.
I was under the impression that he already knew how to use that, and his complaint was about those times where he didn't have anything in his garage that met the requirements and he wanted an easier experience when shopping for a new/used car in the game. In that case, just pick the car with the best power/weight ratio that fits the requirements of being from a certain country, under a certain weight, etc.

I still can't believe Arwin isn't seeing any tearing. If Kaz said he's only going to fix one thing in the game, I'd want it to be tearing. Tearing is unacceptable and it occurs A LOT in GT5. City tracks are almost unplayable because of this.

I was under the impression that he already knew how to use that, and his complaint was about those times where he didn't have anything in his garage that met the requirements and he wanted an easier experience when shopping for a new/used car in the game. In that case, just pick the car with the best power/weight ratio that fits the requirements of being from a certain country, under a certain weight, etc.

Yeah, seem I misread. :oops:

I still can't believe Arwin isn't seeing any tearing. If Kaz said he's only going to fix one thing in the game, I'd want it to be tearing. Tearing is unacceptable and it occurs A LOT in GT5. City tracks are almost unplayable because of this.

I can't say I'm experiencing that much tearing either. Occasionally it's there, but not in a way that it starts to effect the gameplay.

I just unlocked the Nürburgring, and it's weather change version. It has to be said, at it's best it's a mighty fine game.

I like the in-car view, but it blocks off half the screen. I feel midget driving like that. I can barely look over the steering wheel, and judge where the apex is.

Yeah, seem I misread. :oops:

I can't say I'm experiencing that much tearing either. Occasionally it's there, but not in a way that it starts to effect the gameplay.

I just unlocked the Nürburgring, and it's weather change version. It has to be said, at it's best it's a mighty fine game.

I like the in-car view, but it blocks off half the screen. I feel midget driving like that. I can barely look over the steering wheel, and judge where the apex is.

I recommend adjusting the FOV. You can set it to "zoom" in which case the FOV becomes much larger, while still giving the effect of using the cockpit. The downside, however, is you lose roughly 50% of your rear and side view mirrors.

Back