Official GT5 discussion thread

Is there an up to date list of premium cars anywhere?

There was a spread sheet out there that was released at some point, but it had some rather confusing notation (i.e. some cars listed as "S" for Standard, "P" for Premium, and "S/T" for god knows what).

joker454 said:
Is there an up to date list of premium cars anywhere?

The official site has the full list with S and P indications. I think Eurogamer printed this list as well (1031 cars in total).

I've played off and on since release date and there is such an overwhelming amount of content that I don't imagine I'll scratch the surface - at my pace - for a month. The complaints levied thus far have poked at the weaker elements of the experience but if one chose to they could forgo many of the said elements. I am having simaltaneous aggrevation and joy with licences and haven't even bothered to do a real race yet.

Many of the posters may take this sort of thing for granted (and if it was mentioned I missed it) but I am very happy about the Driving Force GT wheel. My last GT was 3 and I played it wheel-less. The wheel and its responsiveness with GT5 makes the total package. It's somewhat pricey at about 150USD but well worth it for the total experience.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-11-12-gt5-a-list-of-1031-cars

Here is the Eurogamer car list. I had it bookmarked to keep track of the cars I wanted.

Thanks, for some reason I didn't make the connection that "S" and "P" stood for standard and premium :( I'm curious, I catch some of this on the list:

#113 P/S Chevrolet Camaro Z28 '69

Basically the same car in standard and premium forms, I wonder why they do that? Anyways, hopefully they will add some more premiums cars over time. I don't really care if the variants are standard as long as one premium version of a given car is available. Like with the Nissan Fairlady, they are mostly standard versions but it doesn't matter since they have 89, 07 and 08 versions in premium, so the car is basically covered. But no F40, SL500 or Countach in premium is a bit sad. I presume they will offer premium car packs as dlc over time though.

So for a noob saibot driver, is this game relatively easy with assists on? I'm thinking of getting a ps3+gt5 since the new nfs game is not really satisfying my car itch, but I'm not a hardcore driver so I'm wondering if gt5 will be over my head.

Thanks, for some reason I didn't make the connection that "S" and "P" stood for standard and premium :( I'm curious, I catch some of this on the list:

#113 P/S Chevrolet Camaro Z28 '69

Basically the same car in standard and premium forms, I wonder why they do that? Anyways, hopefully they will add some more premiums cars over time. I don't really care if the variants are standard as long as one premium version of a given car is available. Like with the Nissan Fairlady, they are mostly standard versions but it doesn't matter since they have 89, 07 and 08 versions in premium, so the car is basically covered. But no F40, SL500 or Countach in premium is a bit sad. I presume they will offer premium car packs as dlc over time though.

The F40 is a Premium car though, and Premium only. The reason for existing in both forms is probably that in the course of developing the game they finished a Premium version of that car, but in order to keep the PSP car save transfer working correctly they also kept the Standard versions or something like that.

So for a noob saibot driver, is this game relatively easy with assists on? I'm thinking of getting a ps3+gt5 since the new nfs game is not really satisfying my car itch, but I'm not a hardcore driver so I'm wondering if gt5 will be over my head.

Most of the races you can make as difficult as you like, as there are usually cars and/or upgrades to be found that make a certain race easy or hard. And then of course there's all the licence tests and special events that help you become a better driver, which helps a lot too. And yes, there are also various assist levels to make things easier as well, though I don't recommend those too much - they also don't help you to learn to drive better lines. ;)

The GT series has typically always been welcoming for all types of drivers, beginners to expert, and I don't think GT5 is any different - in fact, it seems more welcoming than ever, as the special events can gain you a lot of cash, some fairly easy, that allow you to get cars and upgrades early on that more than meet the requirements for the first bunch of races. Of course I'm a fairly hardcore example, but I unlocked the Extreme league almost completely by doing Special events, barely did any of the 'regular' races at that point, and could buy a Lambo and Ferrari.

Got my Slim this morning thanks to Amazon's BF deal. The Slim is a very nice change from the old fat (and ugly). Since I had GT5 on release day so it was nice to finally play the game. I played for about 4.5 hours. A lot of driving was done in Arcade mode before starting my career. In career, I completed the B License tests before entering the tournaments. Stopped at level 6.5 for now.

The good:

First things first. The driving model in this game is downright awesome. I'm playing with most assists off; traction control as needed per car and ABS set to 1. Due to space, a wheel is out of the question so the trusty DS3 it is. I do all my driving in bumper cam as its been my goto for every game. I absolutely love the feedback of the cars. The car movement from suspension and chassis flex provide great feedback as to what the car is experiencing and it's intentions, if pushed further. This is *the* highlight of the game and I really doubt anyone will complain.

Lighting. PD and Bungie have some secret lighting sauce that seems to be better guarded than the Coke recipe. GT5's lighting is head and shoulders above other games in the genre. It's consistantly good throughout. Take a bow.

Colors. As a video enthusiast, I hate over saturated and inaccurate colors and I hate them even more being displayed on TV's left in torch mode. Playing GT5 on a professionaly calibrated Kuro is a treat.

The Bad:

UI: What a mess. Whoever was project managing the UI needs to look for a new job. The gameplay UI, dealerships need a major overhaul. The whole car delivery thing is silly. I don't need it to be an event when I'm handed a shit bucket. Just put it in my damn garage.

Graphics: Inconsistant is the word here. You have premium and starndard cars. Ok, atleast you know! With the tracks, it's all a mystery until you actually play it. We know about the shadow stuff already so there's that. The standard cars can look from passable to pure crap. Tracks are so varied you'd need a rating scale to get that piece sorted.

Arcade Mode: All tracks and cars are NOT unlocked in Arcade mode. So if a buddy comes over and you both want to do some 2P battle on Monaco in F1 cars, tough luck. You need to grind you way to them. This is unexcusable. Arcade mode is all about quick fun. GT5 wants you to earn the fun, it'd seem.

The Ugly:

Performance: This goes back to graphics. You can have GT5 looking great! but it'll cost you, in terms of framerate and tearing. Want to play with standard cars on a standard tracks? Cool. The game will be smooth for the most part. Want to play with premium cars on Monaco in close quarters!? Good luck. You're going to encounter very poor performance.

Overall, GT5 very much feels like a rushed product. The manual is a good example. There's a section about Matchmaking in the manual and yet it's no where to be seen in the actual game. A patch is coming that will introduce MM in the future but according the manual you should have had it day 1. Two patches have already be released in less than a week. It's hard to believe that after so long a game can feel rushed and come out like this but it has.

At it's core, the gameplay is pure bliss and will certainly keep you coming back despite the glaring flaws in other areas. While it's easy to say "well gameplay is most important!" we have to take the comment in stride with the expectations set. PD has a reputation for graphics and has promoted a visual masterpiece for many years with a continous flow of pre rendered (in engine), photo mode and replay footage. That level of fidelity is simply not available during gameplay and anything that dares to encroach such a level requires a severe sacrifice in performance.

GT5 seems to have been created with numbers in mind; 1000 cars, 1080p, 60fps, etc.. but all these come with a catch and that is the most disappointing aspect of the game. With GT6, the approach should be "less is more."

Edit: When I say driving model, I mean it terms of feedback given. It's accuracy remains to be seen but for feedback and consistancy, it's the best I've experienced on a console.

Last edited by a moderator:

The thing you probably won't like is having to unlock everything. Unlike Forza3, arcade and even online (someone correct me if I'm wrong btw) don't allow you full access to all the cars in game. Arcade even has some tracks that I couldn't play such as: Top Gear test track and N-Ring big track and variants.

However, like Forza 3, the cars costs a lot and credits don't come rolling in fast so you'll need to manage your money and pick what you want carefully. Example: some guy in an online lobby was talking about the fastest way he found to earn credits was doing the expert races. He said he was getting 30,000 credits for winning. The Ferrari F1 2007 costs 12million. An Enzo = 1million. Unlike previous games where you could use someone else game save to unlock everything, GT5 saves are locked.

In terms of driving, the gameplay has excellent feedback and you can certainly turn on assists to make it easier. How that handicapps your ability to win races, I don't know. The game is certainly fun but you will need to put the hours into it.

The thing you probably won't like is having to unlock everything. Unlike Forza3, arcade and even online (someone correct me if I'm wrong btw) don't allow you full access to all the cars in game. Arcade even has some tracks that I couldn't play such as: Top Gear test track and N-Ring big track and variants.

For online you can drive anything that the host sets up, including the cars that the host specifies. For some race types, you'll be limited to your garage though.

However, like Forza 3, the cars costs a lot and credits don't come rolling in fast so you'll need to manage your money and pick what you want carefully. Example: some guy in an online lobby was talking about the fastest way he found to earn credits was doing the expert races. He said he was getting 30,000 credits for winning. The Ferrari F1 2007 costs 12million. An Enzo = 1million. Unlike previous games where you could use someone else game save to unlock everything, GT5 saves are locked.

Many people overlook the special events, though they are one-off. Last special events I did gave me 100.000 for gold.

In terms of driving, the gameplay has excellent feedback and you can certainly turn on assists to make it easier. How that handicapps your ability to win races, I don't know. The game is certainly fun but you will need to put the hours into it.

You have to unlock Top Gear and the Ring in the Special Events (which teach you these tracks, so it's not that bad if you want to race them ;) ), but that still leaves a heck of a lot of other tracks for Arcade mode. And while you don't have all cars available, you have a wide range available in Arcade mode regardless. But yeah, there remains some motivation in doing the GT career.

I can't stop playing this stupid game, have to force myself to bed now. Thankfully I have Monday off ... tomorrow my shoulders will probably need a rest to prevent RSI ... lol.

If someone from Sony is reading this, please add GT5 cars to that Playstation Reward program you're planning. :p

I don't need more discounts or free games. I need to save my time. So any items to help me shorten grinding would be a huge plus for me and other busy daddies. :)

EDIT: Arwin, how does car exchange and swapping work ? I vaguely remember there is trading in GT5.

Apologies in advance if this has be asked before:

Is there an option to change the units that the Power and Torque figures are presented in? They are currently in bhp and kgfm but I'd like to change them to KW and Nm.

No premium Veyron is something that I find hard to forgive, maybe not the ultimate race track car, but such a technical feat that it will certainly get its "hall of fame" seat, but not enough for Yamagotchi to make a premium model for it?

The game is certainly fun but you will need to put the hours into it.

Hmm, yeah I don't really have the hours anymore, but what the hell I went for it anyways, snagged that same Amazon ps3 black Friday deal as well, along with way too many other games that I will likely have no time to play, but i couldn't resist the deals :) I figure this new slim should be the 40/45nm model as well so bonus.

No premium Veyron is something that I find hard to forgive, maybe not the ultimate race track car, but such a technical feat that it will certainly get its "hall of fame" seat, but not enough for Yamagotchi to make a premium model for it?

Bah, having no premium for the '87 GNX bugs me more :) Does standard maybe in some cases mean no interior, but still having a nice exterior model? Anyways this game should sell bucket loads of copies so I'm sure more premium models will be coming.

Wow, the ia-10 license test (2-lap race in Grand Valley with the Gallardo) is f***ing intense! The car is a blast to drive! I turned traction control off (even though it could probably use some) and ABS a 1 (although setting it higher would definitely help). T1 on the second lap is extremely difficult with those settings, but damn was that fun. I was just behind first place at the end and could have easily passed him on the last turn, but I panicked and just wanted to ensure silver (but will definitely go back for another crack at gold). That car is definitely high on my 'to buy' list.

I don't care what anyone else says... this is my GOTY. Sure there are more than a few negative points in the game and I'm underwhelmed with a few things (most notably the visuals on some of the standard cars and some of the tracks), but the game is just so damn fun and I know I'm gonna put so many hours into it. I've already spent more time on it than 90% of the games I've played of late and I barely scratched the surface. I've said it before, but this is by far my favorite GT to date, simply because of the gameplay/physics (being the first GT that I'm gonna play start to finish with an actual wheel helps).

Last edited by a moderator:
GT5 is ruling my life........and that's good for me! The overall experience boggles the mind! Still so much I've yet to see. I have Arwin and Shifty in my friends list already but please feel free to increase your own friends list by adding my good self, at which point some online shenanigans should absolutely take place!

Don't hate me if I don't add or request to be a friend... I just never play online. My friends list consists of a few of my personal buddies (the ones that own PS3's) but they're more casual gamers and don't play online that often either.

If you want money, B-spec is your friend. Just give your AI driver a way more powerful car than everyone else and let it run. You don't have to watch it. It's like MMO farming.
However, playing is more fun. Karts and rallying are easy up to the intermediate level. Top Gear challenges are annoying, but doable, even with a gamepad. Forget nascar without a wheel, and even then, it's incredibly difficult

Don't hate me if I don't add or request to be a friend... I just never play online. My friends list consists of a few of my personal buddies (the ones that own PS3's) but they're more casual gamers and don't play online that often either.

I NEVER play online myself (any game), but i've always wanted a GT which adds such a thing. My only intention with GT5 is to play with friends, not open lobbys etc etc. Currently everyone (including myself) is just concentrating on single player progress, which may take some time! haha....

I wish there was more of a relation between your own driving skill and B-spec's. I put him in the same car I used in the same race, which I easily won because my car was simply faster. But he came in second to last. Often flying of the track because he couldn't even keep a slow car under control. At one point he even stopped completely on the middle of track. Now I just stick him in an even faster car, tell him to take it slow, and he can easily win. I get the money, and more importantly a different car then I won in the A-spec race. Though I not sure I ever want to depend on these guys during an endurance race.

Has anyone been able to find out if you can save your game in an endurance race or championship races? It doesn't seem to let you in short championship races.

Back