Official GT5 discussion thread

Full install took just under 30 minutes for me, I got a 320GB 7200 rpm drive.
Load times aren't annoying to me, probably because of my HDD. It also improved Fallout load times drastically.

The most disappointing aspect is graphics. Shadows and tearing disappoint.
Got the AC Cobra that came with the CE, slapped on a supercharger, and the sound is unreal...

The most disappointing aspect is graphics. Shadows and tearing disappoint.
Got the AC Cobra that came with the CE, slapped on a supercharger, and the sound is unreal...

Are you playing on 1080p? The only track that I have any tearing on so far is London (playing using 720p). I hear that with 1080p you can get quite a bit more tearing.

And did anyone see the notice about the slowness in the menus being caused by online server overload? I totally called it. ;)

Spent just over an hour with the game last night. It's GT thats for sure, in structure but it has problems I have never thought it would. First up, it has that bloody blurred look that I hate with PS3 games, I just can't fathom this. The screen trear is across the board also, it's not a deal breaker but it is very apparent. The frame rate especially when cars come together and in corners goes tits up and the shadowing breaks up constantly. In truth its all a bit messy. The physics are handled as you would expected, nigh on perfect but overall I'm dissapointed and quite shocked at the lack of polish, it appears to be game that has gone back to the drawing board to many time.

And did anyone see the notice about the slowness in the menus being caused by online server overload? I totally called it.
Guys from friendly board tested it, so its definitely true

eh ? please elaborate.

I wouldn't worry about it to much, I have moaned about it before previously and many gamers do not even see it. I think it was to do with QAA and it's not as bad as other games but for me it's there for sure. Don't get me wrong GT5 as a package is all encompassing, if anything it's trying to do to much I think.

I wouldn't worry about it to much, I have moaned about it before previously and many gamers do not even see it. I think it was to do with QAA and it's not as bad as other games but for me it's there for sure. Don't get me wrong GT5 as a package is all encompassing, if anything it's trying to do to much I think.

But GT5 doesn't use QAA ... it uses regular MSAA. Are you sure you've set up your TV correctly? And what kind of filter settings do you have enabled? Because GT5 supports four (I have it on default, haven't messed with it yet). Some people seem to prefer one of the other settings.

But GT5 doesn't use QAA ... it uses regular MSAA. Are you sure you've set up your TV correctly? And what kind of filter settings do you have enabled? Because GT5 supports four (I have it on default, haven't messed with it yet). Some people seem to prefer one of the other settings.

I know it uses MSAA, but there still this blurred nature to the screen, it's not the covered in vaseline look of some games but it is apparent to me, as I say I really can't fathom it. I did mess with the filters, if anything they made matters worse. It's on default settings 1080p. The biggest problem is the frame rate especially it seems in corners, it goes all over the place. Don't get me wrong the game looks great, but it does have it's fair share of technical problems that do detract. The car physics model though is utterly brilliant.

First Impressions

Let me preface the impressions with the fact that this is my first full release of Gran Turismo. I played Prologue and GT PSP, but never had the chance to play a full fledge GT game. So my experience will probably come across as "newb" to a lot of veterans. If I make a mistake with something, or provide some inaccurate information, it won't be intentional. Please PM me with that info so that it can be corrected.

The full review will be coming soon, after I've played enough to form a solid opinion on the content in the game. Due to the progressive nature of the game, this only seems fair to the game, myself, and the readers.

So, let's see how the game looks and feels without digging too deep into the monster that is GT5.

The first hour saw me just waiting around, installing the update on a slower connection was part of the culprit for the time. Weighing in at a mere 133MB, it wouldn't take much time for a decent connection to slice through it in no time. After the installation of the patch came, what some people have named, "hell". Quite the opposite really. Yeah, it takes a little while. I'm estimating that it was 40-45 minutes for the complete installation. You can waive this initial installation, or choose the minimal 256MB installation, and you'll be up and running a lot quicker. It's entirely your choice. It's suggested that you do the full installation for a smoother experience, but I can't comment on the difference as I didn't play at all without installing all the data the game offered. Is this a good thing or bad thing? Well, it gives you the option. If the game isn't performing how you think it should without the installation, you have the option to install the data from the Options menu.

After the install, I was greeted with an seemingly lackluster "movie", which you can skip and disable from the Options screen. I watched the entire thing, and I'm glad I did. It got better.. it was actually quite interesting to watch. I think that video set the tone of how you'll start experiencing the game. Slowly at first, then it picks up quite nicely.

Getting past the video, and on towards the meat of the game, we're now at the main title screen. There are several options to choose from here, but I started at the GT Mode. I entered, and clicked around, just playing around really. The game continued telling my idiot self to buy a car.. well, duh, it's a racing game right? So, I took Kaz's advice and bought my first car. You can only choose Lvl. 0 cars from the start, and you'll have 20,000 credits to do so. You can either hit up a dealer for some premium action, or head over to the used car section and try and snatch a bargain with a standard car. I chose a premium Honda Civic Type R (EK) '97, and chose black for my color.

I started with the License tasks, which was nothing short of a task for me. I did finish the first set of License with some Gold finishes, and the rest Silver. I assure you, for newbies such as myself, this is a challenge, no doubt. It's welcome too because I didn't want to just sail through them as I know for a fact I'm not that good a driver. The game definitely shows you where you need to work on certain technical aspects of driving.

I eventually grew frustrated trying to get Gold finishes on all the License challenges, and stopped just after starting the A License section. I've leveled a few times, and found that I had earned a couple of trophies, and some "gifted" cars. I decided it's time to race a little.... mmmmhmmmmmm!

I start in the beginners section, and the racing, while not very challenging at first, is definitely fun. I don't want to judge the quality of the AI, period. I don't know enough about racing to know whether they are just dumb, I'm awesome, how much the cars play into the race, etc. Let's just say that in the earliest races, you're going to feel like a champ. There are a few obstacles to overcome, starting from the back, but with my amazingly fun Civic, it just wasn't hard. I came in first in all my races. I'll update the "Progress" section later with all the progress information that helped me form my first impressions.

I haven't used any Standard cars yet, but at the end of the day, I have three Premium cars, and three Standard cars. I've only purchased my initial Civic, and the rest were earned.

The game looks freakin' amazing in action. The cars that I've used look gorgeous, and the cars that I've raced against look equally good while I zoom by them on the track. The visuals have a way of bringing you into the game, you can FEEL the speed, braking, etc., all because of the amazing job PD did with the visuals. There are certainly down sides, but I've not see anything in the time I've played that would detract from the game play at all.

The sounds are equally good to me. I'm not a car guy, buff, etc. I don't really know what these cars are supposed to sound like, but I've not been disappointed in what I've heard. The music is actually really in tune with the races. It gets you pumping and makes the action seem more intense, even when you're +15:00:00 ahead baby!

I've not been able to play anything online, so I'll either update this portion when I do, or just save it for the full review later on. I do see a lot of potential in it, so I hope it lives up to the possibilities I've imagined.

There you have it. My first impressions of the game. There is a lot to do with this title, and it's going to be a really long career ahead. I'm a newbie of sorts, especially to the GT series. I'm super excited to have the game, and I can't wait to learn from the better drivers here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know it uses MSAA, but there still this blurred nature to the screen, it's not the covered in vaseline look of some games but it is apparent to me, as I say I really can't fathom it. I did mess with the filters, if anything they made matters worse. It's on default settings 1080p. The biggest problem is the frame rate especially it seems in corners, it goes all over the place. Don't get me wrong the game looks great, but it does have it's fair share of technical problems that do detract. The car physics model though is utterly brilliant.
Try using flicker reduction instead of normal in the picture settings. It looks sharper than normal to my eyes. Don't use Sharpen... it looks similar to Normal.

In regards to tearing, I notice it pretty often in city tracks, but I'm playing in 1080p. I'm gonna try 720p later.

Does the install depend on network too ? I remember Eye of Judgment took a long time to patch and ran much faster on my corporate network.

No, the install just takes long because it extracts 6.4GB worth of files from a 12GB archive and installs them as (quite a few) separate files on the HDD. You can do that signed out of PSN, won't make a difference.

In 720p I still get tearing in Rome a little, but haven't seen much of it elsewhere (including other city tracks like Rome).

God, I have a hard time focussing on work. I soooo just to go home and play!

Forgot to mention, but I created a track yesterday, and messed with the PSP import. Even this is much better than reported. It imports all your cars (I have thousands, partly thanks to sharing with others) and then you can pick 50 that show up in Arcade mode in a special tab, but you can change/modify this selection of 50 at any time, and you don't need your PSP anymore to do so. While selecting you can easily browse through the cars by country, order them according to various specs (I used power ;) ) and you get to see all your versions too, including colors.

There were just three cars that couldn't be imported.

I'm enjoying the hell out of GT5 so far.

But graphics are certainly a mixed bag. I think Prologue has a stronger impact overall just because it was more consistent. The best of GT5 certainly looks better than GT5P. But there are many times when GT5 looks worse than GT5P as well. Mostly because of some of the incredibly out of place standard cars they threw in. Also there are some tracks that are not as polished as the Prologue batch.

But the actual driving is fantastic. It feels so much better than GT5P, the way the road feels, the sense of speed, the cockpit cam, all so much better. Also the challenges have been quite fun and well designed. And the leveling up and car collecting aspect is addictive as expected.

According to Quaz51, 1080p mode uses 2xMSAA + temporal SSAA (in Normal mode) for a 4xAA effect. If you select blur reduction, it disables the temporal SSAA making it look more like GT5P. I find SSAA makes the image a little blurry.

Here's what he said
This is for the Academy TT.

Cool thanks!

By the way, according to the just posted interview on Eurogamer, we're getting a patch the 27th already which adds more race restrictions to the online races, like being able to set a maximum HP,

Kaz@Eurogamer said:
We also received a lot of demands for having more regulations placed on the online play. We're going to perform an update on the 27th that will include things like max power restrictions and weight restrictions. It's like a living creature, dynamically growing as we speak.

I'm enjoying the hell out of GT5 so far.

But graphics are certainly a mixed bag. I think Prologue has a stronger impact overall just because it was more consistent. The best of GT5 certainly looks better than GT5P. But there are many times when GT5 looks worse than GT5P as well. Mostly because of some of the incredibly out of place standard cars they threw in. Also there are some tracks that are not as polished as the Prologue batch.

But the actual driving is fantastic. It feels so much better than GT5P, the way the road feels, the sense of speed, the cockpit cam, all so much better. Also the challenges have been quite fun and well designed. And the leveling up and car collecting aspect is addictive as expected.
Completely agree.

Btw, I just tested out 720p vs 1080p and also tried Normal vs Flicker Reduction on both, and to my eyes, 720p on Normal mode or 1080p with Flicker Reduction looks best, but 720p looks much cleaner and has less tearing. I really wish PD would've just made it a 720p game, or at least make it default to 720p.

edit: nm, I can't really see a difference between Normal and Flicker Reduction now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Moved a few res-discussion posts to the tech forum. Impressions/suggestions and the sort can stay here for the moment.

The AI still hasn't improved much. I played one of the licence tests on Rome circuit. Hit any of the opponents or a wall and your disqualified. They are still happy to push you around as much as they like, getting me disqualified several times. I hope things improve when damage becomes involved.

What i don't understand is why not outsource a big chunk of the standard cars.
Stuff like this shouldn't be in a 2010 game at all, at least make a finer selection of gt 4 cars. You still have the standard and premium select but instead of 800 gt 4 cars why not go for like 200 premium and 300~400 standard outsourced cars.
http://nsa19.casimages.com/img/2010/11/25/10112506331951547.jpg

Huh :???: I don't believe that's a standard car from GT5. At least I haven't encountered anything like that in GT5 yet, and I have been trying the standard cars.
The difference between standard and premium is recognisable, but that looks like a photoshop job!

Back