Official GT5 discussion thread

nightshade

Wookies love cookies!
Veteran
This is the post release discussion thread for discussing all experiences and views of the game, embracing the freedoms we all enjoy in allowing everyone to talk about what they like or dislike in the game from the gameplay to the visuals to the design, though off course without stupid comparisons or derailing the thread.

So they review a game without even using the online features ? (since the online was not suppose to work till 24th)

I don't see how the AI levelling up excuses them from driving into stationary cars. AI difficulty should have no impact on basic behaviour like that, I would expect the AI at higher difficulties to drive more aggressively, take turns faster, not slow down so you can catch up etc rather than gaining basic driving skills.

And that article quoted Official Playstation Magazines experience with the game - hardly a publication to not do a thorough review on a massive PS exclusive like GT

And fyi, i parked the Challenger 08 on the racing line on monza, all cars passed, if only narrowly..

After a good night with GT5 i come away satisfied but without any final judgement, it will take some weeks before i know if it´s GT3 love again :)

I honestly don´t give a fuck about those that pick out small bits and details and uses it to bring a game down. For me it´s the complete package. And what i have seen so far is classic GT with so much content it will really take weeks, maybe months to go through. This game is about one thing, and that is cars, and driving them, it presents a wealth of ways to do that, but it always ends up in you, trying to be fast.

There is no story added, no new big thing that tries to spin the game in any other way. You still need to take driving licenses (you gain XP), you still need to earn money, you still get cars after each license is passed, you tune your car, you select the challenges, you win them and earn money.
Special events is the "fun" stuff and they unlock as you go though LVL´s.

For the quick fix, there is fast cars in the Arcade mode and plenty of tracks to drive on. Online seems to be what i wanted, with a few things missing (friend invites HELLO!), but all in all, it looks promising. I like the concept of a "race day" where people join, test the track and settings and then the Host starts the race.

The game is polished and loads fast, and the UI just looks fantastic.

I want to go back and play some more, but the bed is looking for me, i heard it sneaked around in the kitchen..

121,620 earnt only doing special events at the mo, leveling up fast (just got to 9) and silvered two licences. Decided I will focus only on getting all Premium cars, that will be more than plenty. Kart and that sambabus are great fun, though only the latter was actually challenging.

Somehow the game's framerate doesn't feel as smooth as I remember it from Prolohue though. There are no clear indicators why but it is a bit similar to Forza 3s cockpit mode.

I don't see how the AI levelling up excuses them from driving into stationary cars. AI difficulty should have no impact on basic behaviour like that, I would expect the AI at higher difficulties to drive more aggressively, take turns faster, not slow down so you can catch up etc rather than gaining basic driving skills.
They dont, they move away and search for gaps to pass You from lvl 0. There are indicators also that AI feel pushed when You're trying constantly to overtake them like in B-spec mode their 'hot' meter raising so they make more mistakes!
BTW You posted the stupidest site on internet. They've failed about 10 times this year with GT 5 news. If You really want good opinion watch all movies about GT from this channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/christheimperator

He is professional driver in real life ;]

Ps. I have GT 5 and car LOD system is very impressive, You can check it in replay Photomode, because no models are swapped when You enter it. I hope that DF make comparison and grab some direct feeds of distant AI cars.

Last edited by a moderator:
121,620 earnt only doing special events at the mo, leveling up fast (just got to 9) and silvered two licences. Decided I will focus only on getting all Premium cars, that will be more than plenty. Kart and that sambabus are great fun, though only the latter was actually challenging.

Somehow the game's framerate doesn't feel as smooth as I remember it from Prolohue though. There are no clear indicators why but it is a bit similar to Forza 3s cockpit mode.

Definately seems to be a lot less smooth in cockpit mode.

Some of the best fun i have had so far is the karting, im suprised i was expecting it to be pretty bad. Graphics have not impressed me very much so far but only tried a couple tracks and im stuck playing in 720p, i did find the nightime driving to be the most visually impressive ive tried. Aliasing is quite bad, is it supposed to be 4xAA in 720p?

The online lobby seems buggy at the moment, it has foreced a system restart twice now, and ive only had 3 races. Seems like an issue with there being no timeout when trying to connect to a host, the game just sits there waiting for response but you cant cancel out or anything. The lobby itself once you are connected to a host is good though, it gives a tv screen in the middle where you can spectate the current race and a txt chat system.

The actual driving feels great something with it just really clicks with me over other racers. I like the classic GT progression system too, its one thing with its closest competitor i really disliked, im glad to have the good old basic GT career back. I like that they split the standard and premium cars into used and showroom cars respectively, its a clear destinction that works for me but hadnt seen it mentioned before.

As for the defence force getting upset relax, nitpicking graphics is part of the the whole b3d mantra imo and i wouldnt want this any other way, its b3ds unique flavour (focus toward graphics side of things and usually above average intellegence in conversations) that keeps me visiting.

level 13 and 400.000 credits now ... thank you NASCAR special event Intermediate ... :p

I think I may go and try my first actual A-spec race now. :LOL: Though it's tempting to just go back to the licences. :devilish:

You know, if someone released just the licence tests and the special events as they are now as a PSN game, and charged 20 euro for it, I'm pretty sure every reviewer in the world would rate it a 10/10. This game is its own PR enemy. Too many features to nitpick.

My goodness I'm getting a tonne of goodies. Horn no. 6? Whie Paint? :D Earning that gold trophy in Top Gear (Beginner) is more interesting though - makes it available in Arcade and Practice modes. Hah, and since the date shifted, I now get 5 more cards for logging in online. Some of this stuff is hilarious.

Biggest complaint right now is that I can't see my friends times all over the place. Perhaps they are only in Time Trial, perhaps they've had to skimp on doinig this, but so far that's my biggest "huh".

EDIT: I love the 'Narrow' view in cockpit view (you have three options, regular and two steps closer to the window) - it gives you a much better view of outside while maintaining the cockpit view, looks great.

EDIT: oh yeah, the sound isn't great. No huge improvements there - some cars in outside of car view sound pretty good, but other than that I'm not impressed (though the bump into another car sound is good)

I'm having trouble with stopping ... (as in its 3:30 AM)

How does the RPG-like progression work ?

Are you playing B-Spec or A-Spec ? I have never played a full GT game before (Only tried GT5P). Was thinking of completing B-Spec first.

EDIT:

Here's a great user gameplay video I stole from GAF:

They dont, they move away and search for gaps to pass You from lvl 0. There are indicators also that AI feel pushed when You're trying constantly to overtake them like in B-spec mode their 'hot' meter raising so they make more mistakes!
BTW You posted the stupidest site on internet. They've failed about 10 times this year with GT 5 news. If You really want good opinion watch all movies about GT from this channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/christheimperator

He is professional driver in real life ;]

Ps. I have GT 5 and car LOD system is very impressive, You can check it in replay Photomode, because no models are swapped when You enter it. I hope that DF make comparison and grab some direct feeds of distant AI cars.

Thanks for clearing that up. It appears that misinformation is starting to get a bit much.

How much more memory it takes for 1280x1080 with 2xMSAA and 1280x720 with 4xMSAA over just 1280x720 0xMSAA? That lighting in GT5 seems to be head and shoulders above any other console racer out there. How much able to provide such great lighting with so much going on at one time?

Sony / PD really did their review scores no favors - a game like this with just a few days to review, and a fraction of that for online, needs a lot of time from reviewers. It's probably not going to hinder sales much, though.

Btw:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-11-24-gran-turismo-5-review?page=3 9/10

When i messed around with the online part yesterday, i created a "race day" where i picked, ONE car and set the options I wanted for the "race day", no racing line, no TCS no help at all, tire limits, the works.

The game's lack of a car classification system (less of an issue in the offline GT Mode than it used to be) means an unruly free-for-all that will soon stamp out the use of anything other than thousand-horse monsters..

How does that match what they write above?

Guess which of those 2 reviews spend most time with a game that took 6 years to develop?
This could easily turn in to a "review" discussion, but it´s a damn shame that when there finally is a game that isn´t run through in 12 hours , they don´t take the time needed..

Indeed, from the looks of it IGN seems to have barely reached level 10 while reviewing the game. Apparent from their remarks of damage being nothing more than small dents and polygon shifts. Its to be noted that damage gets more severe as you progress in rank, it'd be no damage at all till level 10, then you'll unlock some dents/paint scratches, as you progress even further you unlock stuff like this:
http://images.lazygamer.co.za/2010/09/gt5damage3.jpg

Also, a very nice feature.
GAME OF THE FOREVER CONFIRMED.

I just booted up the game on my birthday and Gran Turismo just congratulated me a happy birthday, here's a car from your year of birth.

So awesome.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=24556080&postcount=8717

Indeed, from the looks of it IGN seems to have barely reached level 10 while reviewing the game. Apparent from their remarks of damage being nothing more than small dents and polygon shifts. Its to be noted that damage gets more severe as you progress in rank, it'd be no damage at all till level 10, then you'll unlock some dents/paint scratches, as you progress even further you unlock stuff like this:
http://images.lazygamer.co.za/2010/09/gt5damage3.jpg

Also, a very nice feature.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=24556080&postcount=8717

With only a few hours last night, i also have idea where they got some of the "impressions", seems to me they went for the Arcade mode in order to try high pówered cars :)

I took the F40 for a wet/day/night race at Le-Mans in arcade mode, and as i mentioned somewhere else, the Challenger on Monza is also an Arcade option.

That birthday thing's a fun feature - hopefully it's not too easy to exploit, though probably only gives you standard cars anyway.

The IGN reviewers may not have enough time. Their review mentioned that we can't upgrade the brake system, but Gaffers corrected them. >_<

It looks like GT5 or rather the lack of time will cause both gaming press and PD to lose points. ^_^

Arwin, is GT PSP easier to get good cars ? I can transfer 50 over ?

As much as I hate "reviewers guides" it does seem as though a lot of the press doesn't understand how the level system works (essentially unlocking things as you go).

It's really unfortunate that Polyphony / Sony managed to drop the ball when it comes to press review copies. This is certainly a game that would benefit from additional time in the review booth. It needs that time because frankly, two days is not enough time to "review" the game due to the progression system (i.e. the AI levels up as you go, as do the physics and you unlock things like the custom soundtrack, etc). I think this is a huge misstep for them.

Back