Formula 1 - 2011 Season

apparently he missed a rally race because he couldnt be bothered flying to austrailia, not the most motivated guy in the universe

He could have won the WDC in 2003 and 2005 but for an unreliable car and some bad luck. He is fast, and if he can be motivated, and he has a good car, he can be totally unstoppable.

It could well be that Craig Scarborough 'Scardbs' has stumbled on one of Neweys secrets and possible a or the reason why the RedBull in particular is so low to the ground and as a result quick. From what I gather, the idea was given by unusal wear marks on the splitter seen on the underside of one of the cars (most probably Mark Webbers car in Monza) this year. It's a concept of a splitter that allows a lower ride height and exposes the legality of the rules and the deflection test carried out by the FIA.

http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2011/10/24/update-see-saw-splitter-fia-issue-a-technical-directive/

The concept of the 'see-saw-splitter' explained and how it exploits the deflection test:
http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2011/10/14/a-legal-but-flexible-t-tray-splitter-the-see-saw-solution/

Yep, saw that. It is very interesting and it was probably either McLaren or Ferrari who approached Charlie. Adrian Newey must be fuming. :)

Indian GP qualifying - nice track layout - anyone see Massa kill his car by touching the raised the kerb at high speed? Ouch.

Indian GP qualifying - nice track layout - anyone see Massa kill his car by touching the raised the kerb at high speed? Ouch.

Yeah! I was initially - WTF - and then saw replay of it.

Also did anyone else catch Lewis sharp riposte during press conference?

I mean this bit:

Q: Lewis, it was close after the first run in Q3, then you aborted your final run and, of course, you are moving three places back on the grid as well so your thoughts really on qualifying today?
Lewis HAMILTON: It was interesting that you smile about that. No, really it has been a good day for me. I am quite surprised that we were able to split the Red Bulls and it is great to be on the front row in terms of how we qualified. Of course, we had the penalty which was a bit of a silly mistake from myself and I have paid the price but from tomorrow we have good race pace and it is a long race with two DRS zones so overtaking should be a lot easier than perhaps other places. I am still optimistic regardless of where I start.

It was said in very sarcastic tone. Either Lewis is seeing enemies everywhere or there is something going on :devilish:

For what I saw, it wasn't hitting the kerb (which have gotten a lot of thanks from drivers from what i understand, unlike on some other tracks), but that he went in too deep, and his wheel first hit the kerb, np, going too deep it fell to lower ground behind it, still np, but then hitting the kerb in again broke the.. whatever those were called that are between the wheel & the car. So it wasn't the kerb, it was the sudden heavy up-down-up motion from going too deep

Remember when Red Bull destroyed the entire front suspension in Germany some years ago? That was scary, and it was on a regular kerb. This Massa incident was on a different kerb, a much worse kerb to run over.

Hopefully the race will be good, the track looks very interesting. :)

Hopefully the race will be good, the track looks very interesting. :)

The beginning of the race will be good, hopefully. I suspect the dust will play a role in how it plays out, particularly for the cars in front. Given that the track has a new layer of dust every session, it'll be Vettel and Webber picking up a lot of that initial dust for the first few laps.

Hamilton and Massa at it again, Massa had the lead and right to choose his path, Hamilton sticking nose to closing gap, though it's questionable wether Massa had the right "to close the door" that much or not

edit:
Few replays later, and checking the area, if anyone's it would be Hamiltons fault - Massa had nowhere else to go and was in the lead, if he hadn't turned he would have run out from track - Brundle has said (several times) that that corner is no place for overtakes no matter how much faster you are, there simply isn't room for 2 cars in the corner.

edit2:
Massa got penalty :mad:

Massa was slightly in lead and had 2 options, drive out from track or close the door, he choose to close the door and got penalty :mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hamilton and Massa at it again, Massa had the lead and right to choose his path, Hamilton sticking nose to closing gap, though it's questionable wether Massa had the right "to close the door" that much or not

edit:
Few replays later, and checking the area, if anyone's it would be Hamiltons fault - Massa had nowhere else to go and was in the lead, if he hadn't turned he would have run out from track - Brundle has said (several times) that that corner is no place for overtakes no matter how much faster you are, there simply isn't room for 2 cars in the corner.

edit2:
Massa got penalty :mad:

Massa was slightly in lead and had 2 options, drive out from track or close the door, he choose to close the door and got penalty :mad:

Your anti-Hamilton shtick is getting real fucking old :rolleyes:

It was clearly Massa's fault; Checking his mirrors, then turning into an opponent is downright despicable.

Cheers

Your anti-Hamilton shtick is getting real fucking old :rolleyes:

It was clearly Massa's fault; Checking his mirrors, then turning into an opponent is downright despicable.

Cheers

So in your opinion, he just should have run out from track instead because other guy had almost caught him?

I thought two cars would fit in that track side by side... the outer lane was obviously going to be so much slower and dirtier though that Massa would have lost his place but I would not think it would be impossible to drive slow enough on that outer lane so as not to drive out of the track.

I´m not even sure if Massa saw where Hamilton was even though he obviously turned his head to mirror and tried to see where he was... could have been a bit of a dead angle.

So in your opinion, he just should have run out from track instead because other guy had almost caught him?

Hamilton had the inside line going into the turn, and at that distance Massa should have known Hamilton had him at that point. Instead he turned in anyway and paid the price for it. The judges were right on this one.

And whether or not Massa even saw Hamilton, in either case Hamilton was not the one at fault.

Hamilton had the inside line going into the turn, and at that distance Massa should have known Hamilton had him at that point. Instead he turned in anyway and paid the price for it. The judges were right on this one.

And whether or not Massa even saw Hamilton, in either case Hamilton was not the one at fault.

"inside line" which was far too in for racing line, it's questionable if he could have even made the turn at that speed had Massa not been there blocking and thus slowing him dramaticly.

It was by no means Massas fault, you simply don't choose "i'll drive out so we won't knock for sure" when you're ahead of someone, racing incident mostly.

Your crazy. So everytime a driver is not even halfway past a other driver that driver should just let the other driver pass?! Fact is hamilton wasn't even halfway past massa and massa was driving on the racing line (he's infront, its his right to be there first, even if someone is trying to pass).

I don't see how you could possibly blame massa for this.

Your crazy. So everytime a driver is not even halfway past a other driver that driver should just let the other driver pass?! Fact is hamilton wasn't even halfway past massa and massa was driving on the racing line (he's infront, its his right to be there first, even if someone is trying to pass).

I don't see how you could possibly blame massa for this.

Even before the turn he lost that "right", as Hamilton was well beyond half-way past him, and yet Massa still made the decision of turning *into* Hamilton where other drivers would sensibly react and take the outside. He did the opposite, and looking over the replay again, if he wasn't blind, then he was almost certainly damned well aware of Hamilton after checking his left mirror no less than four times.

edit: worse yet, it seems Hamilton realized Massa wouldn't leave him room and tried to back off from overtaking. This seems to be where people are largely attributing Hamilton as not sufficiently being past Massa.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back