Formula 1 - 2011 Season

The Renault V8 has been touted as a drivable engine lacking power slightly at the top end. It is clearly not a bad engine, since RBR can win so damn much with it.

Thus, aero has a bigger effect and I maintain (armchair expert mode) that the RBR DRS has not been a priority and thus is not up to par with the rest of the RBR package and of the top teams.

What are you reasons for think that? They are so dominant in quali that I can't believe that besides having a engine weaker than the mercedes and ferrari, a kers system that also is weaker than the others they also have DRS system that isn't working anywhere near as good. They wouldn't be so strong in quali if that would be the case. We know the RB is strong on aero but it can't be possibly produce so much extra downforce that it makes up for 3 other systems which are very important in quali.

RBR is so strong in quali because of their total package. I am not saying their DRS is worthless, but I don't think it is among the best. RBR also has a great EBD which helps them in quali because they blow that exhaust so hard it makes Louis Armstrong look like a newbie.

I am so happy EBDs will be banned from next year, the sound they make is so horrible my private parts shrink a bit every time I hear them.

So is Mrs Bludd complaining that RBR's "total package" is detrimental to yours?

Amazing lap by Lewis Hamilton, finally getting pole ahead of SebVet.

Hopefully the race will be good tomorrow. :)

Vettel's just astonishing. Another 10s+ lead victory and well done overall for Red Bull getting the constructor's championship.

Too bad for Hamilton, but at least this time he had a clean race even with Webber breathing down his neck for the majority of the race.

Last half of the race was thrilling, Alonso on fire making a point that Massa should have yielded instead of fighting.

Webber having that ineffectual RBR DRS couldn't overtake Hamilton. When Hamilton made his mistake, Webber was all over him but Hamilton drove fantastically, aggressively and fairly and got in front of Webber again. Brilliant fight.

Looking at the on board telemetry there was nothing wrong with Webber's DRS.
Hamilton used his KERS and had better traction out of the corner, and the DRS activation zone was far down enough the straight that it allowed Hamilton to negate the speed advantage Webber gained using DRS.

If you look at the speeds they were attaining with DRS and without Webber's Red Bull managed approx 310 kph same as other cars by the end of the straight versus a speed of around 290 kph for a non-DRS car. For Webber DRS was ineffectual due to traction out of the corner and Hamilton's defensive strategy rather than DRS being weak on the Red Bull, for all intents it seemed to work the same as others.

The fastest car on the track in straight line was the Torro Rosso and I think they were followed by the Ferraris' of Alonso and Massa.

The DRS worked, Webber just couldn't get close enough before activating it. By the end of the DRS zone he had caught back up to Hamilton. Overall Webber probably had a faster car, it just wasn't fast enough where it mattered, coming out of the corner just before the straight with the DRS zone.

The DRS worked, Webber just couldn't get close enough before activating it. By the end of the DRS zone he had caught back up to Hamilton. Overall Webber probably had a faster car, it just wasn't fast enough where it mattered, coming out of the corner just before the straight with the DRS zone.

I think BR just have a lack of performance when in dirty air(compared to Mclarren), cant get power down quick enough.

British driver Dan Wheldon has died of injuries after an accident in the championship showdown of the IndyCar Series in Las Vegas. He was 33. Although he never made it to Formula 1, Wheldon had many friends in the business, having grown up in British national karting in the same generation as Jenson Button, Anthony Davidson and Gary Paffett, with whom he raced from cadet level. He was also managed by Julian Jakobi, who was Ayrton Senna’s manager and is still involved in the activities of the Senna Foundation.
http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2011/10/16/wheldon-seriously-hurt-in-vegas-crash/

Horrible accident. RIP :(

I thought he meant Bull Rosso

Moment of silence

The guy had a wife and two small children. I can´t quite put this to words but as a father of two myself, I had some feelings about this news even though I don´t follow indycar and never heard of this Wheldon guy before. Apparently he was greatly respected among the Formula drivers, especially British ones like Hamilton and Button too.

Amazing how much of a difference a few years makes. Caught this clip of Formula 3 where the roles were just about reversed, Hamilton having a massive victory margin during that season and working hard to overtake Vettel. Too bad we didn't have anything like this between them in Korea!

I am not a HUGE Lewis Hamilton fan but the kid can freaking drive. He is the most fun to watch I think but I think Coulthard had a point that he needs to take a step or two back from the limelight and just unwind and relax and get his head back in the zone and then that with a competitive McLaren I think he can become another champion. Still freaking impressive drive from Vettel. He makes it look so easy!

Kimi is indeed planning a return
20p3tyu.jpg

edit:
Some speculate that the current plan is 1 season to get back into F1 feeling on Williams, then replacing Webber at Red Bull

Back