Formula 1 - 2011 Season

Surprising Lewis says the incident was 100% his fault - watching the Maldanado and the Kobayashi incidents on board with Hamilton the steering on the McLaren seems super sensitive, can barely see the move to the right (M) and left (K).

Hopefully he can learn from this because Lewis really isn't racing these guys.

In contrast look at the respect Alonso gave those that passed him, I think some of the rookies can learn a thing or two on how to respectfully give up an untenable position, something Kamui Kobayashi is definitely 100% guilty of in this case.

Kobayashi actually claim that he wasn't even trying to overtake Hamilton, but just drive his own lane and he happened to have the speed which brought him halfway to overtaking, but he wasn't planning to try any overtaking moves or such on him

Kobayashi actually claim that he wasn't even trying to overtake Hamilton, but just drive his own lane and he happened to have the speed which brought him halfway to overtaking, but he wasn't planning to try any overtaking moves or such on him

Instead Kobayashi was right up his arse for no good reason. If Kobayashi gave Hamilton's car a little distance and had braked earlier the incident would not have happened either. Especially now that he says he wasn't planning on re-overtaking Hamilton. I want to add looking at Kobayashi's driving style over the last year or so, I don't believe he was contemplating sitting back like he claims he was going to do. Again, shame about the incident, shame Lewis is involved again and I think it is a shame Hamilton is blaming himself 100% but don't know how he copes and maybe it is for the best to put it behind him and improve for the next race.

Oh and Maldanado basically admitted what he did on Saturday was done "maybe" in anger on the BBC F1 Forum and was a mistake on both parties.

I don't see how this is Kobayashi's fault. He didn't even move! all he did after being overtaken is drive straight. Hamilton tried to get back to the racing line right away, probably thinking he was way past Kobayashi already. Racing incident if you ask me.

I don't see how this is Kobayashi's fault. He didn't even move! all he did after being overtaken is drive straight. Hamilton tried to get back to the racing line right away, probably thinking he was way past Kobayashi already. Racing incident if you ask me.

Hamilton had already well overtaken Kobayashi before the incident (before Eau Rouge). It was Kobayashi that then cought up onto the run on the straight after Eau Rouge where he clearly slipstreams Hamilton to gain a further advantage that allows him to get alongside. Strangely, Hamilton even had his DRS open at this point, so one in his position would think that he's probably quicker than anyone so didn't bother to check his mirror again and took the normal racing line.

You can see this here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97Z-qazyw5E&feature=related

If Kobayashi wasn't trying to pull off a move, one has to ask what he was doing getting up alongside Hamilton? It's just really unfortunate, as the championship race is next to hopeless now and Kobayashi was never going to be competing for the same positions anyway. It could have just as well been Kobayashi who could have lost his frontwing and then people would be discussing why he put it in a gap that always was going to close. Lewis is correct however, it would have been avoided if he had left some room. But who would have thought that Kobayashi without the DRS was going to be quicker than Hamilton with DRS?

It's simple. Kobayashi goes back to the outside, the racing line, of the track before Hamilton does. Hamilton, probably thinking he's way past Kobayashi, tries going back to the racing line too. But at that moment Kobayashi was there. I don't think it's fair to expect Kobayashi to brake just so Hamilton can get back on the racing line. Hamilton could have easily made the corner from the position he was in. Probably losing a place again but there was no dangerous situation which would have required Kobayashi to give Hamilton more room.

Basically, if Hamilton would have checked his mirrors he wouldn't have runned into Kobayashi. So if there is anybody to be blamed I think it's Hamilton.

It's simple. Kobayashi goes back to the outside, the racing line, of the track before Hamilton does. Hamilton, probably thinking he's way past Kobayashi

Tongue,
I may be misunderstanding you, but what I was pointing out, was that Hamilton was already well past Kobayashi leading onto the straight. Hamilton completed his pass on Kobayashi between La Source and Eau Rouge. Because he was behind Kobayashi (but within a second) at the activation line, he got to use his DRS at the DRS zone after Eau Rouge. It was there that Kobayashi started to use Hamiltons tow as he [Ham] opened his DRS (they both moved right at first). Then Kobayashi obviously gained more speed as he moved to the left and Hamilton, who didn't check his mirrors (probably thinking he was quicker than anyone who'd be on his tail thanks to the opened DRS wing), didn't know that Kobayashi was there, put his car back at an angle to take the next corner on the racing line which is where they met.

It's unfortunate because Kobayashi (as per his interview) wasn't even racing Hamilton - so it's legitimate to ask, what he was doing there, getting along side and why he didn't leave a bit more room either (by easing off a bit earlier) when he saw that the gap was closing. It could have been his front-wing too that was at stake! It's also unfortunate because Kobayashi was never racing the McLarens during any time of the race and with the exception of that straight, was never quicker either.

To challenge was his right, but it wasn't going to gain him anything. If he were battling for position with a Force India, yes, but it wasn't.

If this hadn't been Kobayashi but someone out of the top 3 teams, I'm sure Hamilton would have been aware to look as well, never expecting to find the Sauber next to him. I also think the stewards, who looked at the incident briefly, were right to call it a racing incident. And a most unfortunate one at that (from the championships point of view).

I don't really see a 'crime' from both drivers. I do however think that it was easier for Kobayashi to see what was happening (given he had all the visibility he needed), compared to Lewis who didn't and wrongly assumed he had room to his left.

Even though Kobayashi didn't race Hamilton, it's not like he was last down the field, so every second he can gain by slipstream obviously counts for him, taking the bit speed, going to racing line in time gets him that much further away from whoever is behind him, and close to whoever would be ahead, excluding hamilton who obviously has generally faster car.

And while "top 3 teams" are generally faster, Mercedes was for example blazing fast in the start, Rosberg overtaking Vettel with ease using just slipstream and KERS (but then again, every driver uses KERS on that straight so it wasn't KERS vs without KERS)

If this hadn't been Kobayashi but someone out of the top 3 teams, I'm sure Hamilton would have been aware to look as well, never expecting to find the Sauber next to him. I also think the stewards, who looked at the incident briefly, were right to call it a racing incident. And a most unfortunate one at that (from the championships point of view).

I don't really see a 'crime' from both drivers. I do however think that it was easier for Kobayashi to see what was happening (given he had all the visibility he needed), compared to Lewis who didn't and wrongly assumed he had room to his left.

I agree. But Kobayashi didn't do anything from either! He had the racing line. You can't expect them to go onto the grass or just slam the brakes just so that Hamilton can get the best line.

Just because Hamilton didn't expect Kobayashi to be so close doesn't mean he doesn't have to use his mirrors.

I don't want to start this argument again, but this season Hamilton has been in a lot of incidents. By now I think it happened too often to blame it all on others. I think Hamilton just needs to maybe watch out a little bit more and not just expect everybody to get out of his way. By now he should have realised that isn't going to happen.

I agree. But Kobayashi didn't do anything from either! He had the racing line. You can't expect them to go onto the grass or just slam the brakes just so that Hamilton can get the best line.

No, but you can expect from both drivers a certain level of awarness. In Kobayashis case, he deliberately followed Hamilton onto the right, using his tow to gain a speed advantage and then put himself into a gap that was closing. That gap wasn't closing quickly, it was closing at a steady rate, as Hamilton changed the angle well before. It was also Kobayashi that turned in a split-second before Hamilton did the same, and from pictures it's quite visible that there would have been enough room for both. It just didn't happen, by the smallest margin. In fact, at the moment of impact, Hamilton just started to turn in.

It was poor judgement of Kobayashi to 'risk' his own front-wing by putting himself into that position of possible contact given Hamilton may not see him - especially following his own words that he was never intending to overtake.

On the other hand, it was poor judgement of Hamilton to not realize that the Sauber was gaining on him despite the DRS advantage he had and that he should have left a bit more room.

I suspect the stewards agree with this, given their action was "racing incident". If it had been one drivers fault entirely, I suspect we would have seen a different action. At the end of this, I think one should also realize that from the vision of a helmet, the side mirrors don't always give you the full view, which is why I think if it hadn't been a Sauber but a Ferrari or a RedBull, he would have expected it and as such, it wouldn't have happened.

I don't want to start this argument again, but this season Hamilton has been in a lot of incidents. By now I think it happened too often to blame it all on others. I think Hamilton just needs to maybe watch out a little bit more and not just expect everybody to get out of his way. By now he should have realised that isn't going to happen.

I honestly don't believe that a driver, regardless how many incidents he may have been involved in (assuming racing incidents), should bear any relevancy to what action should be taken. It should be looked at as a per incident basis and the key factor is "intent". On that account, Hamilton had his fair share of bad luck and bad judgement. Per the rules, he has accounted for them one way or the other. In this particular case, he accepted that he was at fault, despite not showing any of the "get out of my way" mentality or frustrated driving. It wasn't an overambitious overtake either - just bad judgement of not leaving a bit more room.

The earlier youtube link has already been removed from youtube
here's another, doesn't show as much but starts just when kobayashi moves to racing line http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kh-THd-wrhw
The start of the video clearly shows that Kobayashi moved to racing line before Hamilton did anything to move to the left towards racing line - it wasn't closing when Kobayashi went there, he was already on the line when Hamilton started to go towards racing line

Having driven a Formula Ford (not entirely sure how they compare to a Formula One car but look similar) car for a few laps the mirrors are absolutely pants in those cars as they are way too small and the vibration makes them next to useless in any case.

Perhaps we need a regulation change. And maybe flashing side lights too to indicate direction? (That's a joke by the way.)

The move over to the left wasn't a defensive move though. He was ahead, and was trying to take the normal racing line round the corner. Kobyashi wasn't crowded out of the race circuit, he could have aborted his attempted overtake. It also wasn't an abnormal change of direction - he was following the normal racing line.

no, he was on the racing line, then he moved to the center, then moved back to the racing line as he got to the corner.

1.kobyashi had no more room to move
2. lewis left the racing line
3. i dont know what kobyashi expected when he turned in

end of the day i agree with racing indecent much like webber with the lotus last year but roles reversed.

I'm going to Monza the coming weekend, got tickets at Variante del Rettifilo (first chicane).
Do you guys have any tips for what to do and not to do at Monza?

Been a while since I watched F1 and that Monza race was fan-bleeding-tastic! Schumi vs Hamilton was epic! Props to Bruno Senna too :)

Thanks for the tip, never got any use for my "Hamilton is a hazard"-sign though. ;)

The weekend was great.

We stayed at a camping just north of the track, the camping was filled with petrol heads, most seemed to come from Austria, Germany and Switzerland. All the people seemed nice, and I didn't notice any fighting or rivalry. We ended up next to a couple from California staying next to us, the girl was really hot. Met two guys from Belfast as well.
Since the camp was filled with petrol heads it was a lot of partying, (almost) everyone had their own power plant, blazing playing music and partying until the wee hours.

The track surroundings were nice as well, it's basically one big park, food and drinks were overpriced, but that was not unexpected but there was nothing stopping you from bringing your own.

Back