Formula 1 - 2011 Season

I'm no fan of Schumi, but I was kinda rooting for him getting a podium today. Thought he drive a pretty good race and was kinda deserving of it.

I'm no fan of Schumi, but I was kinda rooting for him getting a podium today. Thought he drive a pretty good race and was kinda deserving of it.

Same here. He put up a good fight but obviously the other two cars were so much quicker. The dry line was an aid but not quite enough.

Congratulations to Button, pretty amazing drive to the win that one. His clash with Hamilton was pretty 50 50, he was lucky not to also retire.

I have to say they stayed for far too long behind the safety car, they almost went straight to inters after it came in. They seem to be too cautious nowadays and I also agree with a poster above they do seem to hand out a few too many penalties.

As an aside, glad to two huge Audi accidents at Le Mans did not end worse than just smashed cars. Those Audi's are strong. Lucky with McNish that the barrier just caught it though. Another few inches higher and the photographers would have been killed or maimed.

Indeed, was nice to see Schumacher doing well again.

But seriously, it starts to look like Hamilton can go cutting heads off with spoilers of his car before any action of his reckless habits of "I'm god, everyone have to make room for me" attitude is taken

I really don't know how you come by that opinion. Clearly the Hamilton button incident is Hamilton's fault, Button shouldn't be expected to give up the racing line. The other incident, Button was penalized with a drive through? Or was there something else?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1E2nEye9e_0&feature=related

You can see how Button leaves the slightly dryer racing line in response to Hamiltons move. That move was fully justified since Button made a slight mistake in the chicane and got a bad exit. If Button just continued with his line normaly like he didn't see anything, Hamilton would have got him into turn 1.

The drive through was for speeding under Safety Car.

The other accident was shooting Alonso out of the race. He touched his rear wheel with the front wheel. Quite usual situation, except Hamilton got penalised twice for the same thing in Monaco and di Resta for the same thing on Heidfeld in this race, for going aggressively into the inside and hoping the other driver rolls out the red carpet and yields.

Why not Button?

DarthShader, your video doesn't show that, and it's colors are way off
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=792MUYg_aco
There's a better view, replay starts around 1:33
He was slightly off the line in the corner, but after that he went straight through the driving lane, if your video would show other drivers, using exact same line as Button

I am very disappointed Alonso couldn't get a good try on those dry tyres. Button did great and Vettel just cracked under immense pressure.

Also I agree with Wavey, I would have liked to see Schumi on the podium, preferably in front of Vettel because he is just running away with the championship, and I am not a huge fan of Schumi either.

I think it's clear that Button did in fact know Hamilton was there as there was virtually no spray at all.

When it enters Brundles mind that Button did something naughty as it did you can bet your ass the reality is he did do something naughty. (Button is Brundles "Cannot do any wrong" driver)

Worked out Nicely for Button as he was never going to win had Hamilton still been in the race.

I think it's clear that Button did in fact know Hamilton was there as there was virtually no spray at all.

When it enters Brundles mind that Button did something naughty as it did you can bet your ass the reality is he did do something naughty. (Button is Brundles "Cannot do any wrong" driver)

Worked out Nicely for Button as he was never going to win had Hamilton still been in the race.

thanks for the laugh

Come on now, Button knew Hamilton was going to pass him as he made a mistake. Are you implying he's blind?

Button said it was hard to see Hamilton with just a quick glance because obviously they have the same colour scheme so he merged in with the back of his car.

Button and Hamilton have fought wheel-to-wheel many times without hitting each other, so I have to say I give Button the benefit of the doubt on that one. I don't like what happened to Alonso, but it was marginal. Both were racing incidents, even if Button apologised to Hamilton.

Valencia is next, another snooze fest or will DRS and tyres actually make it a good race?

Button had clearly made a poor exit from the chicane to give Hamilton a half-chance to pass. The question is, was it enough of a chance that Hamilton needed to try and take it so early on in the race?

A bit too impetuous, IMO, though Button must take some of the blame for then sticking him in the wall.

It would have been much more sensible for Hamilton to bide his time because he's a good driver in the wet and there were obviously going to be many more chances to advance throughout the rest of the race.

He is obviously struggling to get his head around the fact that Vettel is continuing to run away with the championship and he is in a car which just can't compete.

Come on now, Button knew Hamilton was going to pass him as he made a mistake. Are you implying he's blind?

No, I'm implying he doesn't have eyes in the back of his head. However, that's not even a question if it's any other driver, they are not going to yield the dry driving line to Hamilton even if they had seen him.

And I was also chuckling at the suggestion that he wouldn't have had a chance if Hamilton had been on the track.

A bit too impetuous, IMO, though Button must take some of the blame for then sticking him in the wall.
Why? He was clearly in the lead, followed the normal racing line and didn't even make any real blocking move :???:

Once again, it comes to no surprise who is slamming Hamilton in this thread. One has to ask, on what kind of crusade you are, Kaotik, for having to bring up Hamilton in just about every single post you [strike]contribute[/strike] post to this thread? It's starting to become annoying as you're not exactly objective and you're certainly very one sided in your argument, no matter the evidence or what happened on the track.

In fact, it's starting to get so tiring and boring that I recommend you to open a new topic as a tribute to Hammiltons racing and perhaps go off and talk to yourself there. Maybe even Nicky [Lauda] will join you. ;)

Meanwhile, I'm just going to enjoy the race as it was - simply brilliant.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Mclaren is not too far behind the RB in the races, it just lags behind in qualifying. Of course Vettel is a speedy driver so that means that he maximised the qualifying position each time apart from the last race.

Also, don't forget how bad the Mclaren was during most of winter testing, mclaren fans seem to have forgotten this if you read Atlasf1 forum etc.

Sadly I think Valencia will be the first boring race, even with Pirelli and the DRS. If it rains it may be ok.

It would have been much more sensible for Hamilton to bide his time because he's a good driver in the wet and there were obviously going to be many more chances to advance throughout the rest of the race.

I agree completely, though hindsight is such a beautiful thing. I'm sure Hamilton thought the same too, after how the race later unfolded. Yet, considering the last few races, you can't blame him for pushing his luck too far on this one. Vettel and Redbull have been running away with success from the front row in every single race - and despite a more or less equal race-pace, it's still extremely difficult to catch up if you're already 20 odd seconds of the leader.

Come to Canada where McLaren and Hamilton were considered to be a favourite and they qualify 5th and 7th. Redbull/Vettel looks equally strong as ever. An ambitious move on Webber ultimately puts him behind Michael, then later Button. Given Hamilton was clearly much quicker then both of them, you can't really blame him for wanting to get passed them quickly and going for opportunities as they present themselves (you at times don't get many, especially not against drivers in equal cars).

What I find disturbing is the amount of stewarding and I can't help but think that some of the decisions were wrong in this race. Hamilton would have probably received a penalty on his move on Webber on the basis of "causing an avoidable accident". In exactly the same meassure, Button should have received one for ending Alonso's race.

Don't get me wrong, I'm delighted that Button won and I do think he drove the race of his career - but IMO, given the penalties received in the last races, he should have got one for Alonso. Obviously, by postphoning the decision till after the race, they [the stewards] put themselves in a difficult position as taking away Button's win would have been frowned upon. Clearly, Ferrari are happy enough the way it is because by Vettel not winning, it keeps their own championship hopes alive a little longer.

As for Button/Hamilton. Just as in every other race, you can't just push someone off the track, especially not on a straight. You're entitled to do one blocking move, but certainly not when your opponent is already next to you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whqY8vpZs8o&feature=related

Hamilton closes the gap on Button quickly. The right side is blocked by Button, so he goes for the space on the left, probably thinking that Button is aiming to defend the inside line (right side). Button isn't aware of Hamilton (despite looking in his mirror and probably knowing full well he messed up the chicane) so he pulls over the left as Hamilton is already there. If this was in the dry, I would expect Button (or any driver) to be penalised for doing something like this. After all, the 'collision' was caused on one of the main straights, a designated DRS zone, so a place where overtaking can/is and should be expected at all times.

What I find rather disappointing is the level of 'justification' on the stewards part for not giving a penalty (post race). Where was this level of detail when other drivers got a penality for similar stuff?

Phil, and can you claim to be objective when it comes to Hamilton, either?

Button didn't do any "move" whatsoever, he followed the exactly normal racing line on that straight.
I'll put up some gifs soon to prove my point, just need couple video clips readied, first.

edit:
And are you saying it's just a coincidence that he's the one who's most often (6 times out of 7 races this season) questioned by stewards after race?

Back