Formula 1 - 2011 Season

Where did you pick that KERS problem due heat thing?
RedBulls didn't have KERS at all last weekend - it wasn't installed in the cars at all.

You sure? I thought Horner said on the BBC that they had in during the race because if they didn't they could get passed during the start.
RBR only left KERS off for the qualifying and race. They used it in practice.

Regarding the DRS dizietsma talked about, I think it worked OK in Melbourne. They were able to challenge and overtake into turn 1 which is usually not doable at Albert Park.

I think it is too soon to dismiss DRS and the teams and drivers seem to agree.

"I'm afraid Eddie that we haven't had KERS on our cars at all this weekend"

edit:
nvm, he said later they had it on Friday, but took it off then.

Where did you pick that KERS problem due heat thing?
RedBulls didn't have KERS at all last weekend - it wasn't installed in the cars at all.

Horner said in one of the interviews that the packaging was so tight, because Newey wouldn't budge on the aero, that the KERS had heat issues with their testing of the system, so they were spending longer to make sure when it was good to go it would work.

Just a bit OT, dizietsma. I never got your nickname before, but now I realise it is a character from an Iain M. Banks novel. Splendid, I love his work. :)

Just a bit OT, dizietsma. I never got your nickname before, but now I realise it is a character from an Iain M. Banks novel. Splendid, I love his work. :)

Indeed it is, I have others out there as well, zakelwe as well, though that is spelt wrong :D

In the latest episode of Sidepodcast's An Aside with Joe, Joe Saward says that Virgin may put their car into a wind tunnel to see if their CFD actually is correct. If this is true, it is a huge camel to swallow for Nick Wirth, but he did it last year with the fuel tank so his jaw is suitably loosened up.

They are talking about Virgin at around 38m40s.

http://sidepodcast.com/category/an-aside-with-joe

In the latest episode of Sidepodcast's An Aside with Joe, Joe Saward says that Virgin may put their car into a wind tunnel to see if their CFD actually is correct. If this is true, it is a huge camel to swallow for Nick Wirth, but he did it last year with the fuel tank so his jaw is suitably loosened up.

Good points Bludd. Really looking forward to this weekend to give us clues about the year as it is such a different circuit. A lot of bullish comments by a lot of teams, makes me think they are not too sure.

Lets see how Ferrari, Redbull and Mclaren do and how the currently slower Mercedes, Sauber, Force India, Torro Rossa, Renault and Williams can creep up

Well if you build a car with a fuel tank that is too small to finish a race than there is very little room for acting cocky.

I don't understand why they never used a windtunnel anyway. I understand it's his business offering aerodynamic designs at a low price by not using a wind tunnel but with such a complex aerodynamic design as a F1 car you'd think they would run it in a wind tunnel once in a while just to confirm that what the computer is telling them is actually correct. That could also help his business because than atleast they know everything the computer tells them is true and if it isn't it could improve their computer model.

Vettel and Hamilton were amazing in the quali. That was incredible, Hamilton was on provisional pole and he improved on his last lap and then came Vettel and improved again to go on pole.

Vettel, Hamilton, Webber, Button, Alonso, Heidfeld, Massa, Petrov, Rosberg, Cowboyashi are the top 10.

Top 5 is exactly the same as in Australia isn't it? Except that here McLaren is a lot closer to Red Bull, and Ferrari is closer to Red Bull as well (1.4 gap in Melbourne, 1.0 in Sepang)

I managed to get f1 challenge working on win7 x64 - I am a happy bunny ;)

bugger no I cant, it ctd's if i try to start a race :(

Damn what a jump Petrov did there, the whole steering column came off
Yeah, that was crazy!

Race was great, I think. A lot of fighting, some amazing and some less good. Alonso made a mistake against Hamilton and broke his own front wing. Both had to make an extra stop. Webber made a great comeback even with KERS not working. Vettel wasn't untouchable and Button was very good.

The Renaults made epic starts and Heidfeld did what we expected him to do in Australia, and now he bagged a podium. The Renault is a good car, they have amazing traction out of slow corners.

The tyres were degrading like hell, did you guys see the sea of discarded tyre marbles off the racing line?

Some people had DSR failures too, notably Alonso and Webber. Alonso could have been on the podium if not for that because he would have overtaken Hamilton in another place so he wouldn't be in that position where he broke his wing.

Glad to see Heidfeld proving all haters wrong with a solid podium finish - his skill is just as good as Button if not better.

That was a very exciting race. A few notes:

Kers, DRS, Pirelli tires are a great combination. I literally watched every lap of the race. Can't recall the last time I did that.
Mercedes simply is not on the pace.
Hamilton is hard on tires while Button's tire management is reallly good
Renault with Kubica would be a force. Car seems to be fantastic.
Ferrari needs qualifying pace. Their race pace is quite good.
Vettle is fast no matter what
Petrov might have provided the highlight of the reason and maybe the season!

montypetrovsflyingcircu.jpg

I believe I can fly...

Petrov must have one painfull ass right now. Btw I was suprised that the wheels stayed on after he landed. He high would he have gotten? About 50cm ~70cm? Certainly beat Glock (?) and his Toyota a couple of years back when he tried turning his F1 car into a rally machine.

Back