Formula 1 - 2011 Season

Let's not discount Heidfeld yet, give him a few races. He has the seat, it is early in the season so replacing him now is not really useful.

What did they do becides not letting him pass? I didn't watch the race from start to finish. I saw the illegal pass and thus the penalty button rightfully got.
Ferrari switched Massa and Alonso around so that if Button were to let Massa through he would have to let Alonso through too. Then Ferrari pitted Massa.

We've been through this last year with the Alonso-Kubica overtake where Kubica retired before Alonso could give him the place back.

The DRS even worked in a short straight at Melbourne, it should be working far better in other circuits with longer straights e.g. China, Belgium, etc.

The DRS doesn't seems to give enough boost in speed. Button was asking his engineers how in the world was Massa able pulled away from him in the straight when he had the DRS and KERS on and the benefit of slipstream.

I still think drivers should be allowed to use DRS like they do in qualy or practice. One second behind and only on straight just doesn't do it for me.

The DRS doesn't seems to give enough boost in speed. Button was asking his engineers how in the world was Massa able pulled away from him in the straight when he had the DRS and KERS on and the benefit of slipstream.

I still think drivers should be allowed to use DRS like they do in qualy or practice. One second behind and only on straight just doesn't do it for me.

He probably got just that much better out from the corner, and had his KERS too.
McLaren's were good 10Kph faster than Ferraris at the speed trap

a) They can only really get a benefit from it on straights, as it reduces their downforce, meaning that if it was enabled while cornering they'd have to slow down anyway due to less grip.

b) If anyone could use it whenever they like, it is effectively giving everyone a speed boost,so you might as well not have it at all. The aim is to encourage overtaking, hence the reason for the 1 second restriction.

I think it worked reasonably well, because it was never meant as a guaranteed overtake device. Usually at Melbourne, there is not a lot of overtaking into turn 1, now we had some thanks to DRS.

I think DRS needs to be given more time to try other circuits, like China with the long straight.

Also if the front driver activates KERS it lessens the effect of DRS. Maybe front driver should not be allowed to use KERS whilst DRS is activated? :devilish:

Also if the front driver activates KERS it lessens the effect of DRS. Maybe front driver should not be allowed to use KERS whilst DRS is activated? :devilish:
KERS is only going to help on acceleration out of a corner (and when you are not traction limited) as the cars are still rev limited. On straights where the cars at full speed, bouncing off the rev limiter the DRS is going to have maximum effect.

KERS is only going to help on acceleration out of a corner (and when you are not traction limited) as the cars are still rev limited. On straights where the cars at full speed, bouncing off the rev limiter the DRS is going to have maximum effect.

Could teams put a reserve in the last gear ratio to take account of KERS and DRS? Not sure how it works in real life but I would think that less drag would allow the engines to rev higher and attain a higher speed rather than less drag, same RPM, higher speed. I have probably been playing too many computer games.

http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2011/04/01/1439/

f you havent already started to watch this show, I suggest you really should. Theflyinglap.com, is a webcast and audio download going out every Wednesday at 6pm UK time. Peter Windsor runs this show from a studio in London. He’s had guests as varied as Frank Williams to John Surtees, Willem Toet and Sergio Rinland on the technical side. The show is an hour of live F1 chat with journalist and people within F1, often with aftershow chat continuing for upto an hour after the live show. the show is then available from smibs.tv, youtube and available as a free I-tunes download.
Very interesting, props to scarbs. I didn't know of this show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA4SHUbZZig
episode 13 australia debrief

peter windsor "us-f1 in trouble no, no, no"

and why does he allways like like he's on the verge of breaking out laughing

Coming into the next round I am still not sure who will come out on top, you'd have to favour the RedBulls but they seem to have such tight packaging the KERS was having problems with heat. It's going to be hotter at the next race so will that cause problems? Also the track will be hotter ( if it is not raining with those late starts Bernie has picked for Qualifying the race) so I am not sure if RedBulls will be kind to their Pirelli tyres. The tyres will not last as long here you would have to say.

The flappy rear wing didn't seem to do that much did it? I'm glad it's not the other way around and made it much too easy. Two good straights in Malaysia though so we shall see.

Looking forward to it, perhaps Williams can show better this time?

Where did you pick that KERS problem due heat thing?
RedBulls didn't have KERS at all last weekend - it wasn't installed in the cars at all.

Back