Formula 1 - 2011 Season

Very unfortunate news. I hope it is not as bad as it appears to be. :(

What timing, just as Renault look like challenging, this happens.

Only question you can ask is WHY. Why did he and Renault think rallying would be a good idea.

It looks bad, hopefully he can return to racing. Bruno Senna is preferred by Eric Boullier, so it looks like he will get the seat.

Current news is that they don't need to amputate the arms, but it most likely will never function normally again

Current news is that they don't need to amputate the arms, but it most likely will never function normally again
That's terrible. Still, that's racing. Kubica loves rallying and he apparently has it in his contract with Renault that he can go rallying when he's not doing F1 related stuff.

It is a shame, though. He is a great driver and he could have had great success if the Renault is as good as it is interesting this year. It will be interesting to see the Senna yellow helmet in an F1 with that kind of livery, though.

It is a real shame, that's for sure. He's a very good driver. It's going to be a big, big loss for Renault this year.

Surgery is over and doctors are cautiously optimistic. Official statement from hospital tomorrow morning.
Regarding his right hand, it was partially crushed by armco which penetrated car. It should be known within a week if Robert will regain full control and feel of it. Rehabilitation might take up to 1 year.

Non of the reports from hospital are saying too much about other injuries which seems to point they are not as severe as right hand injury.

Hope to see him back in F1 at some point:!:

2007 Canada crash, and now this... I am very sad that all these events have happened to him.

Actually I wanted him to win world championshp more than anyone else for last few years, he was just as talented as Vettel and Rosberg if not more.

2007 Canada crash, and now this... I am very sad that all these events have happened to him.

Actually I wanted him to win world championshp more than anyone else for last few years, he was just as talented as Vettel and Rosberg if not more.
He had a crash in 2003, but he was only a passenger. It was a serious road accident and he got 18 titanium bolts inserted in his arm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very sad news for the 2011 championships as the guy is a real talent and had a real chance of creating something with Renault. Best wishes to the guy, but WTF were you thinking jumping into rally car so close to the season. I bet Renault are slapping their contract lawyers around a fair bit at the moment.

I think its a given that Senna will take on the Winter testing role, but am pretty sure Renault, Lotus and their Russian sponsor will want a AA/AAA driver to drive their 2011 programme forward. What are their choices?

My money is on Raikonnen or not-so-quick-Nick Heidfeld, because its going to be very difficult or should I say expensive to poach from other front-running teams. If they need to poach some credible talent then they are going to be limited 2nd car drivers like Rosberg, Massa or Webber.

If I were a betting man I would put a few quid on Raikonnen.;)

Very sad news for the 2011 championships as the guy is a real talent and had a real chance of creating something with Renault. Best wishes to the guy, but WTF were you thinking jumping into rally car so close to the season. I bet Renault are slapping their contract lawyers around a fair bit at the moment.

I think its a given that Senna will take on the Winter testing role, but am pretty sure Renault, Lotus and their Russian sponsor will want a AA/AAA driver to drive their 2011 programme forward. What are their choices?

My money is on Raikonnen or not-so-quick-Nick Heidfeld, because its going to be very difficult or should I say expensive to poach from other front-running teams. If they need to poach some credible talent then they are going to be limited 2nd car drivers like Rosberg, Massa or Webber.

If I were a betting man I would put a few quid on Raikonnen.;)
I don't think Räikkönen wants to come back and I don't think Lotus Renault GP would want to pay enough for Kimi to consider it.

Renault would want someone experienced to lead the team, but who is there? Maybe they'll go for Senna to evoke the passions of a yellow Senna helmet in a black-and-gold F1 car. Maybe Klien, who maybe deserves another shot in F1 in a better car. Heidfeld? I don't rate him, he's solid but not top class. De La Rosa? Excellent tester, not a top racer.

I also think that while Renault may dislike the rally clause in the Kubica contract, they also understand that it helps Kubica to do it. Eric Boullier said it was crucial to Kubica's "sanity", to use his word.

It is terrible news, but motorsport is dangerous. Kubica knows this, Renault knows this and the public should understand it.

Last edited by a moderator:
From a marketing perspective you would want Senna in the Lotus colours for sure, but the guy will really need to pull in some consistent point scoring finishes to warrant such an exclusive drive. Problem being that Senna is just the name, he has no credible experience or racing pedigree in other racing formula and his performance in the HRT was really quite awful especially when compared to his team mate in equal machinery.

If Raikonnen or Heidfeld aren't considered, Won't one of the Torro Rosso boys or Liuzzi have a chance?

Just read that Kubica was woken up today and he was able to move his fingers which is an excellent sign.

If Raikonnen or Heidfeld aren't considered, Won't one of the Torro Rosso boys or Liuzzi have a chance?
Buemi and Alguersuari are both with Toro Rosso this year. Liuzzi could certainly get a shot, I would welcome that.

Kamui Kobayashi interview at the BBC:

http://www.formula1.com/news/interviews/2011/2/11728.html

Q: Pedro de la Rosa is a very experienced test driver and Nick Heidfeld has a long Formula One career under his belt. Were you surprised you had the edge from the beginning?
KK:
Ha, the truth is that if you want to succeed in Formula One it has to be that way. The first person you have to outperform is your team mate. But in general you are always fighting against yourself, as the only thing that really matters is your own ability to improve and to get the most out of the growing experience that comes with every race...

Back