Mubi impressions (PS3)

KongRudi

Regular
Store design:
- First impressions Horrible..
- When I pressed 'Watch', it started to stream in allmost 600 video-covers, all available to me. Under the Discover-option, I could see that Mubi-library contains over 17k movies, but they don't got the distribution-right to all those small Norway tough.

It took me 10 minutes to figure out, but then I noticed I could press Select-button for Help, and found out that Square-button were to select the various sorting-options, and it were abit easier to navigate when you could sort after popularity, genre, etc.

- After that, it were quick and easy, and it were a breeze to browse through the selections.. :)

And now I'm fine with the store-design..

Content:
I kind of liked that it's different videos than what i get on my PVR, or at the local video-shop.. In Norway, there's allmost 600 movies available.. :)
It were abit documentary heavy, 89 movies, while only 8 science fiction movies, wish they could get abit more new and popular local movies from around asia and europe.

Everyone should go watch 'Man on Wire', it's a documentary about the crazy french linedancer who broke into and hid inside the twin-towers, in order to line-dance between them.. Fantastic story, I promise you will not regret watching it, if you havn't seen it..

When he is on the line between the twin towers taunting the furious police officers to "come and get him" from the line, that's something I'll never forget..

Pricing:
- awesome
- 99 NOK for 30 day all you can watch subscription, it is a awesome price..
There is the possibilty to watch free movies, and some at 29 NOK, and some at 49 NOK.

I just clicked, the 30-day subscription, and it took money from the PSN-wallet. :)
No need for any secondary signups, or stuff like that..

I can rent two movies for 24hours, on my cable-supliers digital movie rental service, for the same amount, as this subscription. :-/
They release mostly Hollywood-movies, and mainstream movies, so that content is the basically the same as in the local videoshop. Same price there aswell, 45 NOK for 24 hours for a DVD or Bluray rental.

- So my first impressions are pretty good..
If I didn't have access to more Hollywood'ish titles, and similar allready, I would be abit dissapointed that they Mubi didn't carry the same regular video-selection tough.

Quality:
- I liked it, it's not Bluray, it's allmost DVD-quality tough.
Sound on the 5 movies I watched, sounded like Dolby Digital, not DTS...
Could fast forward with no problems, with R2-button.. Didn't have to wait for the stream to catch up...
- Subtitles.. Some were English, and some Norwegian.. :)
I were notified about it, when I clicked on the cover of the movie to read more about the movie.
- No advertisements before movies or crap like that either.. :)

Some movies I've never heard about before, wich I checked out.

- The Host.. South korean sci-fi movie about a creature wrecking havok in a city.. cool creature.. bad actors, OK time-waster. :)
- Code 46, US sci-fi movie, pretty bad, but came through it. No action at all tough..
- Primer, another US sci-fi, OK move...
- Nowhere, horrible sci/fi movie, started out OK, with teen fantasizing about sex-scenes, while beeing interrupted by mom, but then it quickly turned into a drama were there where 30 minutes of various couples talking back and forth between characthers, if they were going to go to a party.. I then turned it off.. :-/

PS! If you don't got PS3, Mubi is available at mubi.com.
Anyone else with movie-recomendations, or impressions?

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw that there is quite a lot of good Anime on there. Everything from Evangelion to the Studio Ghibli collection (Spirited Away is fantastic).

There seems to be a good collection of old and new art house flicks and some real classics like Charlie Chaplin (The Great Dictator).

All in all the selection seems to offer up a good variety of choice and at a very reasonable price.

I like it so far!

Content:
I kind of liked that it's different videos than what i get on my PVR, or at the local video-shop.. In Norway, there's allmost 600 movies available.. :)
It were abit documentary heavy, 89 movies, while only 8 science fiction movies, wish they could get abit more new and popular local movies from around asia and europe.

Almost 600 movies is the highest number I've seen yet. For most of Europe and the U.S. it's limited to just over 400 movies. I'm pretty sure Mubi doesn't have the streaming rights for the vast majority of the movies listed for any region. I suspect that most of what's listed, especially big name Hollywood movies, are there just for the rating and discussion aspects of the service.

Oh yeah, I should point out that the Mubi client apparently works wherever your PSN and actual (IP address) region match; I've used it in the U.S. to watch one of the free movies. Still have to download the client from a Euro account though.

I saw that there is quite a lot of good Anime on there. Everything from Evangelion to the Studio Ghibli collection (Spirited Away is fantastic).

There seems to be a good collection of old and new art house flicks and some real classics like Charlie Chaplin (The Great Dictator).

All in all the selection seems to offer up a good variety of choice and at a very reasonable price.

I like it so far!

Was the anime under the "watch" category, or "discover"? If it was under "watch", where do you live?

How 'bout the really exotic ones ? Titles Americans have not heard of before, but are popular in EMEA and rest of world ?

How 'bout the really exotic ones ? Titles Americans have not heard of before, but are popular in EMEA and rest of world ?

I noticed lots of Danish, Swiss, Latin American etc. movies on there - very few movies from the U.S. in fact (a documentary on Mike Tyson being one of the 8 exceptions I've noticed so far). I really recommend almost all Danish movies - just about the only one on Mubi's list I've seen though is 'How to Get Rid of the Others' which is pretty amusing.

It seems to be a nice service. I also got about 6 people following me ... :LOL: Have been busy with work and PS3 games, but I expect we'll be watching something soon. I already got a recommendation from a friend on an arthouse movie that I think is on here as well.

Hmm… hopefully, it will be made available to US folks.

I also got about 6 people following me ... :LOL:

You mean like tweets, FaceBook fans, that sort of things ? Can you tell if they are using PS3 ?

PS Home should make a Home integration module for all Skinny apps. The community element can help to generate more traffic (e.g., Movie mini-games in Home).

I noticed that the NHL app reuses similar UI template as all the recent movie apps (Mubi, NetFlix, Hulu Plus, LoveFilm). Launching an official Sports club in Home is probably a good start. The EA Sports Complex is way way too static. Not much value to go there except for some free Poker games.

You mean like tweets, FaceBook fans, that sort of things ? Can you tell if they are using PS3 ?

They are all on my PSN friendslist, so I'm guessing yes. I haven't even looked into the app yet, I got an email notification for it. I don't think I've even setup my web account for Mubi yet, just the stuff in the MUBI app.

Haven't seen any movies on it, but what I liked was that it gives me access to a lot of movies that are normally not available locally here in Norway, ie asian/european/south american etc basically none Hollywod stuff.

As for suggestions, I love Wong Kar Wai stuff and much of the korean movies are good.

It seems to be a nice service. I also got about 6 people following me ... :LOL: Have been busy with work and PS3 games, but I expect we'll be watching something soon. I already got a recommendation from a friend on an arthouse movie that I think is on here as well.

Hmm.. Well, don't stay to long away before you get back to your followers, before you know it they'll start worshipping golden calfs. :-/
- You can also freak out your followers by only top-rating stuff in the gay/lesbian genre, and come up with crazy commandments like 'Thou shalt not bear any kids', and stuff like that:p
That would be pretty fun.. :)
Just kidding.. But I love the fact that you got followers, and not Friends here, that so much cooler..

Last edited by a moderator:

It pretty much is now. You'd have to download the client through a European account and pay for the subscription through their website, but you can use it in the U.S. if you have a U.S. PSN account. You might want to check the list of ~403 movies that are available in the U.S. before you pay though...

Argh, so the exotic movies are limited ?

I'd rather say their library is limited at the moment, ie its growing. And to me all of these films falls into the exotic/indie category, I have not come across any Hollywood summer blockbuster films etc.

I'm quite disappointed with the selection of movies that were available in Sweden.
It seemed to mostly be dramas from France. :(
None of the fantasy/Sci-Fi/Anime movies I wanted see were available.

Do Swedish media companies produce anime ?
Or are you referring to Japanese stuff ?

If you're looking for popular American and Japanese productions, can you find them in LoveFilm ?

I was hoping to see My Neighbor Totoro (Japanese)
Seems like LoveFilm has a much greater selection of American films, from the quick checks I made they didn't seem to miss anything.

I see. If he's looking for well known, internationally distributed movies, then waiting for LoveFilm (or NetFlix !) to go digital in Norway is probably the more likely outcome since the collection matches their current user base. They will have to negotiate the digital distribution rights separately.

Mubi has a different collection.

Back