Crysis 2 being re-designed for GTX580

The whole Crysis 2+Nvidia's interference is really sad.

I fear that the only goal of this interference, will only be to make AMD's gpus look bad and nothing else. I mean who freakin cares about absurd levels of tesselation anyway? Look at Unigine for example. Is it me, or is it uglier with Extreme tesselation? Even if it is just me, the normal tesselation setting is more than enough, at least for my taste.

Come on, this is getting ridiculous. We jumped from no tesselation, straight to needing a trillion gazzilion triangles just for the protagonist's gun.

In any case, if somehow Crysis 2 comes out and looks any less good than this (big thanks to mr CarstenS for this capture), then Crytek is in for a Jupiter eye sized shitstorm.

I perfectly understand the need for money raking in, but what happened to enthusiasm anyway? Why do people kick out a good result, just to screw it for 2mil? I mean it's not like they don't have enough money already. Greed in all its glory!

The worst of all, is that if Yerly manages to screw this, people will not buy it and/or pirate it just to see what's the deal with that Crysis 2 thing (if no demo will be available beforehand), before trashing it and then Crytek/EA will jump to say that PC games are not selling well, blah blah blah, the same old crap.

So HOW exactly is Nvidia's TWIWMTP helping PC gaming anyway?

You know my true theory on this is that Crysis 2 was going to be a console port and pretty much suck. Nvidia says "ZOMG we need crysis to be special on PC so we can sell cards" and then you have the following. Now whether that means that certain things will only be available on nvidia cards or not I don't know.

It's like I said. Sucky on consoles and AMD and sucky and really really bumpy on Nvidia.

It's hilarious how consoles are now getting dragged into the blame game for an IHV's antics. Some of you just can't resist.

At any rate, I can't see this helping EA/Crytek. Quite the opposite actually.

It's hilarious how consoles are now getting dragged into the blame game for an IHV's antics. Some of you just can't resist.

At any rate, I can't see this helping EA/Crytek. Quite the opposite actually.

Most likely because consoles are the driving force behind CE3, as opposed to the PC.

The console factor is much more worrisome than the NVIDIA marketing dollars IMO. At least those of us with NVIDIA GPUs will be able to enjoy the game in its full glory. But if it turns out to be a noobified piece of console crap that the Xbox ate up and shat out of its HDMI port, that will be the ultimate disappointment.

In any case, if somehow Crysis 2 comes out and looks any less good than this (big thanks to mr CarstenS for this capture), then Crytek is in for a Jupiter eye sized shitstorm.

It won't look like that since the setting is New York, not eye-catching forests and tropical islands.

I'm looking forward to STALKER 2 much more.

Same. Only thing will it suffer from being on consoles like pretty much every other PC-only franchise that went to console, whether because of the tech, inept input devices or design choices based on demographics.Every single Rainbox Six and Ghost Recon game from the series' inceptions up until Vegas/Future Soldier that made itss way to the consoles installment have been vastly different from PC games in the series, as in more arcadey. So the changes back then cannot be blamed on budgets and wanting to reach a wider audience like they can now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Same. Only thing will it suffer from being on consoles like pretty much every other PC-only franchise that went to console, whether because of the tech, inept input devices or design choices based on demographics.Every single Rainbox Six and Ghost Recon game from the series' inceptions up until Vegas/Future Soldiert that made it's way to the consoles installment have been vastly different from PC games in the series, as in more arcadey. So the changes back then cannot be blamed on budgets and wanting to reach a wider audience like they can now.
Yeah we'll see. You can never really tell what's going to happen....

Consoles are not really the same as they were 10 years ago either.

Yeah, the mid to late 90's/early 00's for both PC and consoles were insane.

Adventure games are as strong as ever IMO too.

There are coming out, but I think we can safely say they aren't anywhere near the the level they were when LucasArts/Sierra ruled.

RTS games have actually devolved.

Well, depends how you look at it. In this generation there are AoE3, CoH, WiC, SupCom, Men of War, Total Wars, DoW2, SC2, R.U.S.E. Actually, I think there isn't a genre this gen that has been pushed as much and in different directions. Starcraft didn't really need changes at its core, just updated for modern audience, which is exactly what happened. What's missing is Balttlezone-like game, BZ is still unsurpassed.

Anyway, we are way OT, should be moved to a new thread or deleted.

I don't really understand all the worry over Crysis. I tried Crysis once, and it was terrible. Pretty, very pretty, but dull as dirt.

Far Cry was much better, and even then it was only average. If Crysis 2 is dramatically worse compared to Crysis, like Crysis was compared to Far Cry, it will be a truly terrible game.

I don't necessarily agree that Crysis 2 is going to be somehow less technologically advanced than Crysis due to being multiplat. The somewhat simplified geography and set pieces in a city might allow them to actually make some fairly impressive use of lighting and perhaps be the first game ever to feature what I would consider realistic shadows reacting to light sources. There's also interesting things they could do with regards to particle physics when not having to also do calculations for every single piece of vegitation that might be affected by an explosion or bullet passing through.

But the thing they've really focused on with regards to CE3 is lighting and shadowing. And things like that could REALLY shine in a city environment when there are so many potential areas where dynamic lighting could be used to extremely impressive effect in a city where it wouldn't be as possible in a jungle or forest environment. That robot attack sequence with the energy projectiles going overhead grand central station (?) after for example. And then the glass shattering and raining down.

Too early to judge really whether Crysis 2 is going to be more or less impressive on PC than Crysis or Farcry were.

I see lots of potential for some amazing stuff in a city environment not possible in a jungle environment. Whether they pull it off or not is another matter.

Regards,
SB

Crytek said CE3 will use upto 8 threads so that is good.

Only if the threads are load balanced, and aren't memory subsystem limited.
Won't happen.

My personal experience goes like this:
1. Most codes don't parallelize well.
2. This isn't too much of a problem since you tend to run into memory hierarchy limitations before ALU limitations anyway.
3. Some codes parallelize fairly well, enough that 4 threads can be reasonably load balanced. (Seems difficult for a game though.)
4. This only makes you run into memory hierarchy limitations all the faster, so your threads twiddle their thumbs in unison, while stepping on each others feet memory wise. *
5. Embarrassingly parallel codes exist, but tend to be limited to kernels. They also tend to be memory bandwidth limited because the ALUs can chew through operands and results far faster than they can be read and written to memory, unless
6. The code is extremely computationally biased and data can be kept in local memory. Such as computing Mandelbrot/Julia sets. Hmm. Sounds like a GPGPU paper. Not a terribly fun game though.

* (They can look very busy using simple tools, but they are actually busy waiting for memory.)

Back