Crysis 2 being re-designed for GTX580

Ancient

Newcomer
http://www.kitguru.net/components/g...2-being-re-designed-for-gtx580-expect-delays/

Having the world’s fastest car is no fun unless you have the right racetrack. If that track does not exist, then you will need to build it. For cars, that means splashing out on a Nürburgring or something similar. With graphic cards, it means having a triple A title that pushes everything you do well, to the absolute limit. Enter EA.

With the GTX480, nVidia had a massive lead in graphics processing techniques like tessellation. Unfortunately, there were almost no games in the market that utilised that additional processing power. Aliens Vs Predator included tessellation – but just enough to allow AMD and nVidia to compete on a similar playing field. Great for gamers, not so good for nVidia. Millions have been paid to create a Fermi processor with butt-mastering tessellation capability, which isn’t being utilised by game developers. What a quandary. How to fix it?

Enter Crysis 2 and a $2m spend from nVidia’s marketing team.

Who said that tessellation isn't important :smile:

*sigh* Here we go again from Nvidia. The next Great Drama.

I guess NV figured out that their GPU is way better at tessellation and they aren't gonna just pretend that they don't have an opportunity with that.

Who said that DirectX limited competitive options... :D Although I'm betting on some proprietary extravagantly overrated Physx pointlessness as well.

Here's hoping that Radeon 6970 or whatever is completely amazing.

So are we looking at some kind of ultra mode sponsered by Nvidia because you can't have a new Crytek game without it being unplayable on its maximum setting?

Lol guess I just saved $50 bucks. Good job crytek. I'll be playing tor hopefully then anyway.

NVIDIA might be shooting itself in the foot, here. KitGuru says the game was supposed to be released in late March, but will now be seriously delayed. It seems to me that instead of having to face the HD 6970 in Crisis 2, the GTX 580 might now have to face the HD 7970 in 28nm… For the low, low price of $2 million from a company that's bleeding money.

Isn't that Zardon from Driverheaven? Or is that another guy using the same nick?

KitGuru says: There are lots of reasons why a company would spend $2m sponsoring a game so close to launch. Whatever the reason, it’s hard to ignore the possibility that it is being re-styled for the GTX580 and GTX590 cards with an absolute ton of additional tessellation IQ.

???

The Way It's Paid To Be Played.

$2m to look good against the competition on a high end fermi in 1 game. Hope it's worth it Nvidia lol.

Crytek just entered the "I'll buy it when it's $5" bin.

If they do use excessive Tesselation, that's not necessarily a bad thing if it really does boost IQ and isn't there purely for benchmarking numbers. As well it's definitely not a bad thing if there's an option in game for tesselation factor so that end users can adjust tesselation for best performance on their computer. However, if it's locked at some unreasonable number (Metro 2033 shadowmaps when Tesselation is enabled come to mind) then that's just more dirty practices.

If they do vendor ID locking of common features or excessive disconnect between GPU and software PhysX (Metro 2033 and Mafia shows you can gain the benefits of GPU accelerated physics without punishing those without a supported GPU card) then I'll certainly be disappointed.

High levels of Tesselation if it visibly boosts IQ however? I'm all for that as long as you can adjust the tesselation factor. Crytek has been good about giving users extensive video options though, so here's hope that Nvidia doesn't suddenly make Crytek hostile to their own fans.

And since Crytek is basically using this as an advertisement for selling their multiplatform engine, it would make a lot of sense to make sure the game has the ability to run well and look good on as many platforms as possible, even with the dollars invested by Nvidia. Especially if they are serious about wanting to become a competitor to Epic. In that light 2 million USD is a drop in the bucket compared to what they might potentially make if CryEngine is able to challenge UE3.

Regards,
SB

Do you have link handy for Metro and shadowmaps? That sounds interesting because I was under the impression shadow maps were textures, not geometry and I'd love to understand the relationship between the two in Metro.

Do you have link handy for Metro and shadowmaps? That sounds interesting because I was under the impression shadow maps were textures, not geometry and I'd love to understand the relationship between the two in Metro.

Haven't played Metro myself but I think that he talks about how you can't just enable/disable tessellation but only in a bundle with other features among which the shadowmaps (or maybe just these two - I'm not sure).

Basically what SMW said. The only way to enable Tesselation is to enable the highest graphics option. That option also forces the use of a very large shadow map. That basically gave the GTX 480 with 1.5 GB of memory an advantage when benchmarking versus a 5870 with only 1 GB of memory.

There's no way to enable Tesselation without also enabling the huge shadowmap.

Regards,
SB

What does Metro 2033 do in DX10 Very High compared to DX11 Very High? Other than tessellation.

I've been playing it on High and Very High on my retro 8800GTX on my 1360x768 TV. I actually have a hard time noticing what's different about Very High besides the rather large performance hit. DX10 High runs very smooth almost all the time. I only notice significant slow down in some parts where the complexity of the scene seems to skyrocket far beyond what is typical. Most of the time the scene complexity allows Very High to be completely playable for me but in those extra complex instances it turns into a slideshow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who cares if it is delayed? Then computers might actually be able to play it when it is released :devilish:

Since crysis scaled for crap though I doubt that will be the case.

Back