Rock Band 3

What do you guys think about the upcoming Rocksmith ? It allows the use of real guitar. I wonder if it'll allow the use of real drum too.

I just ordered the MIDI adapter from amazon.de, so they not only have it fully in stock but also ship it to the Netherlands. Same for Rock Band: Beatles, which I now even got for 7,50 euro. As a nice detail, on gaf there's a screenshot suggesting that we'll be able to import the songs from that into Rockband 3 in the near future.

Intending to use the MIDI adapter with a regular MIDI keyboard; though you also need it for the Squier, I am going to remain happy with the Mustang for now. ;)

Decided to go for the Yamaha NP30 Portable Grand ... very happy with it so far! But the adapter is going to take a while to get here it looks like, coming from gameseek rather than amazon. Ah well, as long as it gets here within a month I'll live (no, darnit I need it now :D)

Is far as I can see there is no pitch bend wheel on that keyboard, It is used just like the whammy bar on the guitars to build up energy on long glowing notes.

Found this guide though, which lets you, with the help of a computer, "map" pitch-bend to the keys.
http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214157&page=1

I'm not looking forward to see you beating my pro keys scores as well, isn't it enough to beat me at drums? ;)

Really? I didn't know there was a score advantage to that. Never used it and the Mustang doesn't have a whammy bar either. So I guess I won't miss it for that at least!

Edit: ok I understand you can sometimes use it to extend overdrive ...

I'm looking forward to your impression, of it. Also, how many octaves does Keyboard RB3 uses in pro mode ?

BTW I tried the RB drum controller, although it plays well and can be had for cheap, the drum make noise when you hit it, that would drive a person like me insane. And proper e-Drum is too expensive to invest just for a game. So I guess I am looking at keyboard now.

I think two octaves in pro mode, c2-c4 - the manual is online and I just read it this afternoon.

As for the Rockband drums, that's a common complaint. There are extra silencer thingies you can get for them though that help a lot and I think most people get those now.

I'm looking forward to your impression, of it. Also, how many octaves does Keyboard RB3 uses in pro mode ?

BTW I tried the RB drum controller, although it plays well and can be had for cheap, the drum make noise when you hit it, that would drive a person like me insane. And proper e-Drum is too expensive to invest just for a game. So I guess I am looking at keyboard now.

By the way, even my Guitar Hero WTC drumkit makes some noise, though a lot quieter than the default Rockband stuff. The best solution is to just wear headphones. :)

The MIDI Pro Adapter arrived today I was just informed, a day before the best date given (they said between 5-23 May) so expect some impressions within one or two days!

Pro Keyboard is awesome! Very happy now. Sure, there are some early 'warmup' level songs where you think - why does this track even have keyboard in it in the first place, where it is just some nonsense synth that barely adds anything and is drowned out completely by bass and guitar, but as soon as you get to difficulty levels of 2 and up, things start to get pretty exciting and there is some great music to be played.

I am also quite pleased iwth the keyboard lessons in the game - I never took actual lessons and although I can find my way around the keyboard fairly well, these lessons are actually useful. I could get through the advanced scales lessons for instance pretty easily, but they did teach me (and in one case reminded me) the correct way to do various scales with helpful pointers about what technique to use which was in part why I managed to do them so easily. By contrast, some of the advanced chord lessons took me an hour to get.

The major downside I guess would be that the game basically only teaches you one handed play, so if you want to progress beyond that you'll need to either teach yourself to play basslines with your right hand, or get real piano lessons. But I'm having a blast, and when I played some freestyle after my long session (I think I may have played 4-5 hours straight), I was already a better player.

I had a tonne of fun with a song that has some really jazzy chords and progressions. It is very hard (even if it only says level 3 or so) and I went into training mode for it to learn the chord progressions, and am quite a bit from mastering that song yet, but it is a really great song. Can't find or remember the title, ironically, but it was very late. Will look it up. ;) It's probably a DLC song, come to think of it.

Nice. :) I'm actually having a hard time adjusting to pro keys because I'm used to reading the actual notes. It'll be awhile before I get accustomed to finger placement for the songs here. That said, I guess the only thing they need now is more DLC that makes good use of the keys. :p Through the Fire and Flames? XD

I just set up the pro cymbals (3). Pretty fun. erg.... just wish I could use them for GH Metallica.

Nice. :) I'm actually having a hard time adjusting to pro keys because I'm used to reading the actual notes. It'll be awhile before I get accustomed to finger placement for the songs here. That said, I guess the only thing they need now is more DLC that makes good use of the keys. :p Through the Fire and Flames? XD

I just set up the pro cymbals (3). Pretty fun. erg.... just wish I could use them for GH Metallica.

Did you already work through the Billy Joel songs? Or are they too mellow for you? ;) They seem to offer a decent challenge (haven't grabbed them yet, for obvious reasons). Are you using the tutorials to get used to them? I try to do everything on Expert right away at the moment, but clearly from Moderate onwards things are becoming quite a challenge for me already. Training mode is a big help though, and doesn't default to chord assistance that breaks up the flow as it does in Pro Guitar training, though thankfully I realised just yesterday that I could turn that off, and as a result now I've actually worked through Stone Temple Pilot's Plush on Expert training mode, which I then proceeded to score a 76% Expert score on, which I'm pretty stoked about, especially as then grabbing a real guitar and playing the song sounds pretty sweet :p. The song has special significance to me as a friend of mine used to play it in his band, so I got to hear it a lot live and it really gives me a good 'live band' vibe by association.

The song I was thinking about for keys with the jazzy chord progressions by the way was Spinning Wheel by Blood Sweat & Tears:

Really dig the song.

And finally as a bonus I went to check out a music school nearby with my son and although it was closed I ran into the owner. They are offering Duo instruction, which means you play one instrument and another student plays another instrument, and the teacher plays yet another instrument, and you get instructions both on the instruments and on playing together. Sounds pretty awesome, and its only 10 euro per 30 minutes, so I'm definitely checking it out. I was expecting to go there to drum, but actually as the school has a drum background, there is a lack of every other instruments for these type of lessons. He has two drummers who are at a high level that he doesn't have any suitable other players for, and I think I may be at a high enough level with most instruments (definitely guitar) to fit in. Sounds like a great way to brush up on my instruments and meet people to play with, so I'm definitely going to give that a go!

:) Cool.

Yeah, I've gone through the training mode. I'm just having a hard time adjusting. :p I've actually got some of the Billy Joel songs (not all). :)

Back