Rock Band 3

You can select somewhere not to be thrown out if your meter reaches the bottom.
I've done it, but I can't remember where.

No fail mode is in the options. You need only turn it on once, and it'll still keep track of your scores. I guess they figure that if you need it, it won't really harm the scoreboards at all. :p

Don't know if all guitar players on this board also play rockband, but this is a really cool app (GuitarPro) that is free today:

So, I've completed the Medium Pro Guitar section of the Career Mode and had tried to move on to the Hard Pro Guitar section. As of now, Bar Chords + more prominent 4th finger use are combining to put this out of my reach. I instead have settled on going into the Training Mode and learning all of the songs on Medium and am having better luck with this.

I actually really like the multiple structures available in RB3 for progressing though the game. When I have hit a wall and become frustrated with one set of challenges I have always been able to find another set waiting that got me back feeling like I was accomplishing something and that has been key to me remaining motivated.

One thing I would have liked when learning a song is if there was a setting that caused the track to pause at each missed note instead of the default where it will sometimes continue past mistakes. When you are repeatedly missing one specific sequence of notes/chords it would be more efficient to be able to focus in on that sequence every time it came up, IMO.

Yeah, the training stuff could do with some more customisation. It tries to do what you say automatically but it doesn't always succeed.

Personally I agree about how nice it is to take different paths. I really recommend playing Pro Bass for learning Pro Guitar. You can usually play it on Extreme fairly easily, there are no barred chords or difficult solos and lots of repetition, and you can play all the notes you hear. I love it. I'm now picking up some Pro Guitar songs again and its much easier, so tge training works.

Yeah, the training stuff could do with some more customisation. It tries to do what you say automatically but it doesn't always succeed.

Personally I agree about how nice it is to take different paths. I really recommend playing Pro Bass for learning Pro Guitar. You can usually play it on Extreme fairly easily, there are no barred chords or difficult solos and lots of repetition, and you can play all the notes you hear. I love it. I'm now picking up some Pro Guitar songs again and its much easier, so tge training works.

I'll try that. Thanks for the suggestion.

I wish some Dev would do a similar pro mode to a DJ game. I picked up DJ Hero 2 bundle thinkin it was going to be like Sega's Crackin'DJ with two turntable and all, but it wasn't to be. It was still a fun game but I thought Crackin'DJ is the better game. The thing is the control for Crackin'DJ style gameplay is in front of me, the Dev just cloned the wrong game.

With Activision exiting from the music genre, I wonder if Harmonix will step up to the plate and someone would do a nice controller for it, two full size turntable that actually spins with tonearms you can drop, fake records you can put and flip over, some faders and 4x4 drum pads inbetween would probably do it. DJ Hero controller is sort of half way there, just need to remove the buttons from the turntable and add a few things.

Enough rant, which drum to get for RB3 ?

Enough rant, which drum to get for RB3 ?

I've been using the RB2/Beatles drums. I need to get the 3-cymbal expansion, but I can't find it anywhere at the usual retailers here in Canada. It's bizarre...

I actually prefer the GH drums because the pads are softer and bigger, but oh well.

I bought the 2-pack of madcatz cymbals for the RB2 set at ebgames/gamestop over a year ago (didn't have the 3-pack). It still shows them on their site so they might still carry them. Amazon.ca carries the new set (3 cymbals).

I prefer the GH pads as well because they seem more durable, and they don't have plastic edges. I had to replace the drum pads on my RB2 set after just a few months because they were bubbling and I was missing notes. I bought the drum silencers for the RB1 set and I've been hammering on them for years without problems.

I bought the 2-pack of madcatz cymbals for the RB2 set at ebgames/gamestop over a year ago (didn't have the 3-pack). It still shows them on their site so they might still carry them. Amazon.ca carries the new set (3 cymbals).
Oooh... Amazon finally got them? I guess I haven't checked in a month or so. :)

I prefer the GH pads as well because they seem more durable, and they don't have plastic edges.
Yeah, definitely agree there. :(

Yeah, my RB cymbals are in rough shape after heavy use. I'm regretting now that I didn't spring for the Ion kit. Of course, going in, I didn't know how much use it was going to get and the official kit is easier to take out an put away if you don't have a dedicated space where you can just have the kit set up permanently.

That said, the 3 cymbal expansion completely changes the experience in RB3. There's no going back to regular drums once you have played the game this way.

I can confirm that the Guitar Hero drumkit is very durable. There's no sign of wear on them at all. I've been using mine without any issues whatsoever for a long time now (since Guitar Hero World Tour in fact), and they work very well with Rockband 3. Also, the GH kit has pressure sensitive pads, something which isn't present in Rockband 3 afaik. If someone starts out with drumming or just wants to test it, they could do worse than pick up a cheap Band Hero or GH5/6 full band kit for a low price (I regularly see these on offer for about 70 euro). I actually like the Guitar Hero free drum modes a little better thanks to more extensive soundkits and pressure sensitive pads being properly used to offer even different samples depending on how hard you hit.

Do you know if there is any way to expand the GH Warriors of Rock drum kit to a Pro or do I have to start over with a proper RB drum kit?

I can confirm that the Guitar Hero drumkit is very durable. There's no sign of wear on them at all. I've been using mine without any issues whatsoever for a long time now (since Guitar Hero World Tour in fact), and they work very well with Rockband 3. Also, the GH kit has pressure sensitive pads, something which isn't present in Rockband 3 afaik. If someone starts out with drumming or just wants to test it, they could do worse than pick up a cheap Band Hero or GH5/6 full band kit for a low price (I regularly see these on offer for about 70 euro). I actually like the Guitar Hero free drum modes a little better thanks to more extensive soundkits and pressure sensitive pads being properly used to offer even different samples depending on how hard you hit.
The RB2 has sensitive pads, so I'm sure the RB3 set does. Even the cymbals I have are pressure sensitive.

But yeah, to help with durability of the RB2/3 drums, these work really well, and they cover the plastic edges.

The only drum kit you should look at for a decent setup (and for really experiencing a "real" drum setup) is the Ion drum kit. Professional pads with great bounce, cymbals are decent and you can configure the layout however you want. If you can, get a Pintech TC 10" for your High hat, much better than using an Ion one for that particular cymbal.

difference in volume I think... it doesn't really take much to elicit the stronger hit response (a sort of shockwave graphics emanates from the colour button).

Ok, then perhaps Rockband 3 just doesn't support it for the Guitar Hero drumkit ... will have to have a closer look at that. In Guitar Hero it was supported, and that would even have different samples for different velocities.

I definitely would like to have an Ion drumkit, but that's really out of reach for me for now. I would sooner get a Squier probably, but that's currently not on the cards either (and there are other priorities). Fortunately I am still happy with the Mustang.

But it is good to know that pressure sensitivity should be in there for the other kits at least.

Ok, then perhaps Rockband 3 just doesn't support it for the Guitar Hero drumkit ... will have to have a closer look at that. In Guitar Hero it was supported, and that would even have different samples for different velocities.

I definitely would like to have an Ion drumkit, but that's really out of reach for me for now. I would sooner get a Squier probably, but that's currently not on the cards either (and there are other priorities). Fortunately I am still happy with the Mustang.

But it is good to know that pressure sensitivity should be in there for the other kits at least.
Yeah, I tried the GH:WT drums on RB2 and the sensitivity doesn't register; I'm sure it's the same with RB3.

Back