woman holiday today in iceland

argor

Newcomer
today is the woman holiday in iceland it is very simple at 14:25 almost all woman in iceland stop working
so are any similar holiday in your country

I personally believe that this kind of event is detrimental to women in the long run - how can you claim equality with men when such gender-specific celebrations exist?

I personally believe that this kind of event is detrimental to women in the long run - how can you claim equality with men when such gender-specific celebrations exist?

I'm sorry to go off-topic here, but is your name a reference to Cow and Chicken?

I'm sorry to go off-topic here, but is your name a reference to Cow and Chicken?
I'd just like to know if his desk is still covered in bovine paraphernalia.:D

BTW S'Cow, how's it going. I was hoping you were going to be presenting the paper you co-authored at HPG/EGSR this year, but it was just some of your colleagues.

I agree, same with similar things WRT race,nationality,sexuality etc

I agree, same with similar things WRT race,nationality,sexuality etc
Completely disagree on these. Such holidays are completely consistent with equality, and if equality has been reached, can serve as reminders of where we came from.

But what's more, equality on these issues has not been reached, so it would be more than a bit premature to stop bringing to light these issues. Stopping the conversation just allows people to keep being bigoted, to keep discriminating. Issues like racism, sexism, and homophobia need to be kept in the public consciousness if any positive action is to happen.

Not to resurrect a thread that died a well-deserved death, but I glanced at the title again and it occurred to me that "Woman Holiday" sounds like a holiday without women? :)

Back