VR, would Nintendo have the balls to try it again?

MfA

Legend
Various technologies are converging which have the potential of making it possible to produce of light weight VR/AR glasses cheaply. If a decent size company buys up the necessary patents to make it happen. I think near 50$ should be achievable in 2012 (LCOS modules would represent the bulk of the cost, and those will cost less than 20$ by then in volume).

They were pushing the Wii on being an unique experience ... and I think this would allow them to do it again (or any competitor, but Microsoft has wasted so much money on Kinect I don't see them getting ready for something this big by then and Sony ... meh Sony, I don't have faith in them in doing anything visionary any more).

Would interest me more than motion controls.

Wii2 with 3D mode where the content could be delivered through either VR or 3DTV would be an interesting feature in next gen.. For starter, would allow for multiplayer 3D games when used with multiple VR goggles ; )

I've often wondered why VR hasn't resurfaced before now. The last VR systems that I saw were based on Amiga technology, for pete's sake.

The problem is that there are inherent cost factors in living room 3D which makes it impossible to push ... also unsatisfying (small field of view).

VR glasses on the other hand benefit from miniaturization, so no real lower end limits on the cost.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can VR glasses in 2012 replicates the IMAX experience ? The VR glasses now aren't very good.

Any noticeable lag and people would get sick. That would be the major current technical hurdle I can think of.

Perhaps with OLED tech we might see this happen again ?

If I have to wear glasses might as well go whole hog with vr glasses.

Is it ever going to be good for eye health to focus at screens inches in front of the eye for hours at a time?

Is it ever going to be good for eye health to focus at screens inches in front of the eye for hours at a time?

I'm not sure , is it good for your eyes to have 3d glasses on that cut avalible light down drasticly and force your eyes to see two images as one ?

I know i get headaches during 3d movies at the thearters.

I'm not sure , is it good for your eyes to have 3d glasses on that cut avalible light down drasticly and force your eyes to see two images as one ?
There's a thread on that, but the viewing distance is definitely healthy, the change in focal distance healthier, and seeing two images as one is what your eyes do any! ;) 3d screens can't be worse than 2D screens, which are known to harm long-distance viewing. Screens inches from the eyes are going to be seriously straining.

Did anyone ever try the Amiga-based system? How long could you play for and were they any obvious issues?

It's not only unhealthy, it's pretty much impossible. The virtual focal point is much further away thanks to optics (traditionally lenses, but you'd want to use DOEs now).

Do people want glasses? I don't have a problem with them, but from the outcry you hear on the internet it seems like people believe glasses are anathema.

I wear glasses normally so the thought of having to slap a second pair over top of them every time I do some gaming is not enticing.

Cheers

They could have ones with a closer focal plane for near sighted people and a couple meter for people with 20/20 if they want.

A diffractive optical element (also sometimes called HOE).
Looking at those specs, that's the equivalent focal distance? If that can be set, then it looks like the glasses idea is solved, except for spectacle wearers who's problems don't normal simplify to near- and long- sightedness, but often different eyes with different quirks. It's a step in the right direction, but I'm not sure a whole platform can be based on it. Nintendo have added 2D mode for 3DS to suit everyone.

Apart from all the reasons above, wouldn't cost also be a factor? Even if it's only 40 euro's its still another 40 euros extra if you want to play with more than 1 player. So now you don't only have to spend 40 euros on a extra controller, but also 40 on VR glasses.

Not only that, but how willing would consumers be to wear ''heavy'' uncomfortable glasses? People already bitch (rightfully) about 3d glasses. VR glasses would only be worse.

Back