Global warming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, and I almost forgot: screw you too! ;)
HA! :D I have always preferred people who are...well, frank.

Sorry to hear about your difficulties at work, I can relate on many levels to much of that. I like and respect you, truly. Even so, smart people can also be wrong, and biased, of course. Anthropogenic global warming really IS real. Why shouldn't it be? We can change many other properties of our environment, why not the atmospheric temperature?

It's ludicrous and illogical to think that it would be completely impossible for us to affect something which is so tightly coupled to us - IE, the atmosphere.

One of my best friends in high school was "diagnosed" with an IQ over 180. He went to an Ivy League school, majored in math and physics, eventually dropping physics because it was too much work carrying two majors. And then went on to grad school at a prestigious university... and had a nervous breakdown.

Being smart is great, but you have to have balance. That means socializing, sports, whatever, in order to get some balance in your life. As far as careers go, find something you enjoy that you can be passionate about. I find I take work too personally, which is bad as it leads to more stress than necessary.

-FUDie

a good friend of mine was very smart , missed a perfect sore on the sat's by 1 question . He ended up becoming a pot head and a lawyer.

While that article IMO makes a valid point, it's a bit TL;DR. Here is a GIF animation that has been making the rounds lately, that makes the same point much better:
SkepticsvRealistsv3.gif

its Gif's like that which makes the Global warming die hards seem like children really .

I honestly don't know if Global warming is man made , but I don't believe thati t will suddenly cool off drasticly , but at some point the earth may start cooling again and sustain cooling over a sizable period of time.

its Gif's like that which makes the Global warming die hards seem like children really .

I honestly don't know if Global warming is man made , but I don't believe thati t will suddenly cool off drasticly , but at some point the earth may start cooling again and sustain cooling over a sizable period of time.

Seriously dude I feel like reading this gives me a sucking head wound. Mize obviously aimed for you and hit me.

Seriously dude I feel like reading this gives me a sucking head wound. Mize obviously aimed for you and hit me.

What ?

A 30 year time frame over the course of billions of years is supposed to do what ? Its like taking 13 hours of someone's life who is going to live 100 years and claiming to know everything thats going to happen.

You can certainly diagnose life-threatening, and/or seriously debilitating diseases in the span of 13 hours, so not sure what your point is exactly Eastmen, other than the fact that planet earth and human beings aren't comparable because they're wildly different things...oh yea, that's right, that is the point you WEREN'T making! ;)

You can certainly diagnose life-threatening, and/or seriously debilitating diseases in the span of 13 hours, so not sure what your point is exactly Eastmen, other than the fact that planet earth and human beings aren't comparable because they're wildly different things...oh yea, that's right, that is the point you WEREN'T making! ;)

You wouldn't download a car would you ?

Could you diagnose an unkown diease in the span of 13 hours ?

How would you even know if its a diease if you only have 24 hours of knowledge of a humans body ?

Stop making ill-fitting, stupid analogies that aren't accurate. You seem to think you're clever and making sense, but I assure you, this is just dumb.

We don't need knowledge of the earth's ENTIRE 4.5-ish bn life-span to "diagnose" what's happening today because A: there wasn't even any life whatsoever on this planet for the first ~3.5bn years or so, and B: life on this planet in the past wasn't like life on this planet is today because environmental conditions have changed, and life adapted to change accordingly. But that was a slow, slow process, and AGW is literally acting thousands to millions of times faster, and that's a serious threat to vast sections of the planet's ecosystem.

For example, coral reefs run the risk of getting knocked out altogether, either by bleaching (temperature related), or ocean acidification (CO2 related), or algae overgrowth (over-fertilization related), or erosion (rising air temp-related, where increasing heat fuels more powerful stormwaves), or drowned (sea level rise related), or all of the above.

Coral reefs are the birthing chambers and the life-support mechanism for tens of thousands of species worldwide, and if a big chunk of the supporting base was to disappear, large swathes of the pyramid above crumbles.

Something longer , hundreds of thousands of years perhaps .
And ice core samples and other similar things aren't good enough? Or are you telling us that we won't really understand if we are having a global warming at the moment before a few hundred thousand year has passed? Wouldn't that be a bit late to actually figure out things are bad and we need to do something about it?

Why was this thread moved to the General Forum? It makes little sense to me. We can't have a thread about the big bang in the general forum but one about global warming, that's been in RPSC for a long time is suddenly moved to the General forum. What is the reasoning behind it?

We don't need knowledge of the earth's ENTIRE 4.5-ish bn life-span to "diagnose" what's happening today because A: there wasn't even any life whatsoever on this planet for the first ~3.5bn years or so, and B: life on this planet in the past wasn't like life on this planet is today because environmental conditions have changed, and life adapted to change accordingly. But that was a slow, slow process, and AGW is literally acting thousands to millions of times faster, and that's a serious threat to vast sections of the planet's ecosystem.
This is a bit of a nitpick, but the Earth was lifeless for only about the first 700 million years or so. Basically, life arose within a very short time after the Earth cooled enough that life could exist (within a couple hundred million years at the latest).

But yes, eastmen's analogy is beyond idiotic. A somewhat better analogy might be a wound gushing blood. It takes a fraction of a second and no expertise whatsoever to know that wound is bad news (if you had no familiarity with the human body at all, it might take a little bit longer, but not much). Compared to geological timescales, AGW is far, far more like a gushing open wound than it is like some mysterious disease.

As it looks to me, smart people with 150+ IQs who never get to realize their potential in any meaningful way is something that is just all too common in this world. In many ways, you remind me about Christopher Langan, the "smartest man in America" with an IQ of 195+; much like you, he had an abusive upbringing, grew up to get dismissed as an idiot on the internet, and generally not achieved much of anything.

If you're so incredibly smart, I'd suggest you pick up something to do that actually requires some significant smarts and that would actually be notable if you did it:
  • Solve some known outstanding math problem (e.g. the kobon triangle problem, just to pick a problem that is easy to describe)
  • IQ tests: if you're as smart as you claim, try the Titan Test or any of the other tests that qualify for the Mega Society.
  • Code up something nontrivial that does not appear to have been done before (something like a GPU-accelerated AAC encoder, or an x86 version of Dynamo, or a snes emulator with GPU mode 7, or an audio compression program that outperforms optimfrog, or a thousand other things)
  • Since you evidently care about AGW (even though you are seeing it as a hoax), join ClearClimateCode or some similar effort.
I mean, seriously: as it looks right now, you are holding up a Skyrim discussion thread as proof of your intellect - as if the most noteworthy achievement of your life is to have defeated Dagoth Ur or something.
Ok.

Let me put it like this:

I worked for some major company (DSM) 15 years ago, and thanks to me my boss at that time, who was one of the initiators of "Manufacturing Excellence", the new strategic plan for the company, put in it that the wanted the desktop PC management be "unified and automated". Something we have taken for granted, 10 years onward, for large companies.

At that time, everyone told me I was crazy, when I suggested how it could be done. But, as it was part of the strategic plan, they had to make it happen.

First they hired IBM, but they declined after a while. EDS came out on top. DSM spend 66 million on it, I got to actually implement most of it (together with three others), and they pulled the plug on the whole project about a month before it should have be delivered, as EDS acknowledged they couldn't do it.

So, after the cancellation, there was a serious problem. And I went through fire promising it could be done, fast. I did it with two others in 45 days. All managers rejoiced. One of them even gave me a hand.

So, we automated just about all of it. Getronics, the company doing the actual work, created a new SLA that promised they would do all the things that were completely automated, and that everything else would cost extra money. They calculated 1000 guilders (500 Euros) for each of the 35.000 desktops worldwide, each year.

After I went through pains noticing the higher management that it would be free money to Getronics, as we automated it all, they forged a new contract with them, for... 110% of the former one, to an average market value, as everything had become more expensive...

Did you guys count that? They threw away 50 million Euros. I build it and got nothing but my meager pay. Although my co-workers at that time are now managing it for life.

Do you think it would matter one bit if I had a paper saying I'm really smart? I have some of those already. No formal education, though.

While that article IMO makes a valid point, it's a bit TL;DR. Here is a GIF animation that has been making the rounds lately, that makes the same point much better:
SkepticsvRealistsv3.gif
Great marketing. Oh, you didn't consider my arguments or read the things I linked at all, right?

I'll see if I feel like coming up with some cool and visual marketing to show my point of view.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back