Global warming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im personally not really seeing a warming trend here.
No? Does that graph resemble a horizontal line to you, or isn't it true that the right side of the graph peaks much higher than the left side???

Coz if that IS true, that does indeed indicate a warming trend.

I mean if most of the warmest years are in the same decade it just means that the temperatures are pretty much unchanged, right?
What's the logic behind this, if I may ask?

If you have a set of sample data, and most of the high values end up in one extreme of the timeline...how on earth does this indicate a non-changing state?

Anyway if the mods cared I would ask one of them to lock this thread as it looks like climate change is a problem we no longer have to worry about.
Again, based on what logic?

In response to Corduroy's stance that nature doesn't matter unless it showers him with gold and stacks of dollar bills: http://arstechnica.com/science/news/2011/01/bumble-bees-done-in-by-a-fungal-parasite-maybe.ars

This is exactly WHY nature, the ecosystem, our biosphere matters to human beings. We're not apart from the rest of this globe, we rely on it to a great deal.

Who cares about bees, beeee happy. I mean what? It's only 1/4 of all food crops which rely on bee polination, hardly a concern when we have the other 3/4 to rely upon.

Just so you know, I was sarcastic both times! :D

CO2 reduction only makes sense if it saves money. If it costs money, I'm not paying for it, not a cent. I am very happy that my lifestyle and views piss off dirty hippies like you.

soap is pretty affordable, it costs me about 1€ per month, then there's 1€ per month in one-blade razors ; shaving gel and toothpaste are longer term expense (about 1.5€ and 0.5€), then alum rock as a one-time 5€ expense.

thus I totally refudiate your analysis about dirtyness :).

next thing I'd want and is the only good idea in private Bradley Manning's horrendous life conditions is a timed shower, I'm way too complacent in wasting both time and heated water there.

Anything by Hansen is suspect since he'd benefit from any AGW legislation. First of all, how are those temperatures calculated? How accurate are the measurements? Were they always this accurate 120 years ago? How is the distribution of all the sensors? Are they on a grid with equal size and shape for each point? Have the points always been the same over the years? Were they any mistakes made while analyzing and constructing the models such as these?

http://climateaudit.org/2010/01/23/nasa-hide-this-after-jim-checks-it/
http://www.climategate.com/australiagate-now-nasa-caught-in-trick-over-aussie-climate-data

That whole graph spans less than 1C and there's all these questions and uncertainties about their methods and measurements. Also, there's really no telling if it's going to keep rising or falling with from the limited amount of available data. Therefore the alarmism is unwarranted.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=5294
By Richard Lindzen, atmospheric physicist and Alfred P. Sloan Professor of Meteorology at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

If you were on the NSF grant committee, and somebody came to you and asked for a bag of money so that he could carry out research on whether or not the earth is flat and whether or not it goes around the sun, would you approve of YOUR tax dollars going to his research?

The point is that there are more grant seekers than grants and hence money is given to those whose research seems most promising.

And just because people denying AGW have been denied funding doesn't mean there is a campaign out to get them. You don't conduct research with an agenda, you just do stuff, the results pop out for themselves.

Besides, the denial community has no shortage of research funds. Saudi Arabia and big fossils are sitting on piles of money waiting to find someone who can publish peer reviewed stuff debunking AGW. Where is that research?

Anything by Hansen is suspect since he'd benefit from any AGW legislation. First of all, how are those temperatures calculated? How accurate are the measurements? Were they always this accurate 120 years ago? How is the distribution of all the sensors? Are they on a grid with equal size and shape for each point? Have the points always been the same over the years? Were they any mistakes made while analyzing and constructing the models such as these?
You want answers to those, read IPCC reports, not some random jerk on the internet with no credentials.

That whole graph spans less than 1C
1C in a century is a VERY BIG DEAL.

and there's all these questions and uncertainties about their methods and measurements.
Only if you believe science haters. Really, tell us, how many of IPCC reports have you read? How much of science do you think YOU understand?

Also, there's really no telling if it's going to keep rising or falling with from the limited amount of available data.
Your ignorance/stupidity is not an argument.

Therefore the alarmism is unwarranted.
It is not alarmism. It IS warranted.

You want answers to those, read IPCC reports, not some random jerk on the internet with no credentials.

You mean the same IPCC, where University of East Anglia cliamte scientst Mike Hulme says that has run its course and became too political?
http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/11/27/a-climate-scientist-on-climate-skeptics/#more-11377

My links are based on actual e-mails, and there's also Frank's link which shows just how much massaging was going on with the existing data. It's proven that Hansen's data was screwed up in the past and they had to revise it. It can happen again. He's a one of those ecoMENTALists, with emphasis on MENTAL. Here's what he's predicted 20 years ago.

1988_hansen20.gif

He also hangs out with people like this, and gets arrested:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/09/27/james-hansen-arrested-wit_n_740887.html
Now in that story, I'm also against coal power and destroying a whole mountain, but you hippie folk are responsible for blocking nuclear plants. We need energy and we need vast quantities of it cheaply and sun and wind are just not gonna cut it.

Stop trying to control the planet, there's nothing we can do as we don't have enough of an energy source or the technology to climate control earth. I'm just going to live the same way I always had and it's not going to change a thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
You mean the same IPCC,
Yeah, the same IPCC, as it has the compiled the largest amount of latest peer reviewed research. Also, the East Anglia emails were conclusively shown to be a storm in a teacup, but you may have not noticed that, considering the kind of links you post here.

Stop spreading BS around. Find me modern (last ~ 3 yrs) peer reviewed research debunking AGW or shut up.

Here's what he's predicted 20 years ago.
There's been progress in computational sciences over the last 20 years you, with moore's law and everything. You may have heard of it.

Now in that story, I'm also against coal power and destroying a whole mountain, but you hippie folk are responsible for blocking nuclear plants.

I DARE you to find a post of mine where I have opposed nuclear energy. No, check that, I double dare you. Stop assuming stuff.

Everyone knows that rpg.314 likes to emit carbon dioxide. See, see I dare you to deny that one!

JK. :p

It feels like xxx didn't leave, he merely reproduced by splitting into multiple parts.

Yeah, the same IPCC, as it has the compiled the largest amount of latest peer reviewed research. Also, the East Anglia emails were conclusively shown to be a storm in a teacup, but you may have not noticed that, considering the kind of links you post here.

Stop spreading BS around. Find me modern (last ~ 3 yrs) peer reviewed research debunking AGW or shut up.
No grants = no research. I'm also saying AGW is debunked, I'm just saying there's no need for alarmism. It's not a big deal since the temperature increases have been lower than what was predicted.

I DARE you to find a post of mine where I have opposed nuclear energy. No, check that, I double dare you. Stop assuming stuff.
Maybe not you, but the majority of your team opposes it. I'd gladly give up oil based energy for nuclear in a heartbeat, as long as we had adequate storage technology for cars.

Maybe not you, but the majority of your team opposes it. I'd gladly give up oil based energy for nuclear in a heartbeat, as long as we had adequate storage technology for cars.

Who is his team? We should find out.

I know I support nuclear power.

Here's what he's predicted 20 years ago.

1988_hansen20.gif
Quite a lot has been learned about the climate over the past 20 years. In particular, at the time it was believed that the CO2 forcing was stronger than it actually is. If you adjust those early climate model simulations to compensate for this error, you get a prediction that matches up extremely well with reality.

Also the effects of ice melting is under-reported in most climate models. So they don't exactly always err towards a higher temperature prediction.

No grants = no research.
There are plenty of grants to go around if you can promise to not find AGW. Just ask the tobacco lobby.

I'm also saying AGW is debunked,
Then why don't you publish your research in a peer reviewed journal? Hell, just publish a pre-print.

Chalnoth threw an open challenge to xxx to point out the biggest scientific flaw in AGW. You know what happened? He ran away. Would you like to take up that challenge, or would you like to just repeat bs ad nauseam without any scientific proof?

I'm just saying there's no need for alarmism.
Yes, there is need for action.

It's not a big deal since the temperature increases have been lower than what was predicted.
Everybody make way, ignoratti coming through.

Maybe not you, but the majority of your team opposes it.
I don't have a team. You are the one who seems determined to put me in one.

One thing I do feel concern about though is the fact that AGW is being linked to any and all weather related natural disasters. On the one hand you have people saying that the snow outside peoples windows is just weather then on the other you have people using a somewhat tenuous link, such as in the case of the Australia floods to push their AGW agenda when the causal relationship simply doesn't support it. In the case of Australia the floods aren't as bad as recent historical floods and yet people are still waving the 'you burned coal I hope you drown in the coming floods' vitriol.

Im just saying the AGW crew aren't doing themselves any favours by remaining silent on these natural disasters when the tenuous link is being proposed.

Im just saying the AGW crew aren't doing themselves any favours by remaining silent on these natural disasters when the tenuous link is being proposed.
The "AGW crew" - which isn't one in reality since it's not a world-wide coordinated conspiracy of some sort* - knows there's not a direct causality link between AGW and a specific natural disaster.

Those that are trumping up stuff like that are media, who do it because they love big headlines that sell copies of their product - and ignorant people who don't understand what they're talking about.

* = expressions like "AGW crew" insinuate that scientists and other people are working in an underhanded, ZOG-like fashion to promote their agenda. That's conspiracist claptrap, and unless you have any proof that such is going on, I suggest you avoid expressing yourself in such a way if you want to be taken seriously. K? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back