The Apple Execution Dazzle Thread

Or... they could pay their employees more. /crazy I know...

Considering that Apple doesn't seem to have trouble attracting some of the best people to work for them, I don't think they actually need to pay their employees more.

The average selling price of Samsung phones are no where near the average selling price of iPhones.

That was implied by the "lower margins." :) Being in the memory, flash memory, and LCD TV markets, Samsung is no stranger to having to resort to low margins in order to compete, unlike Apple.

Regards,
SB

Sxotty said:
The people they could pay more don't work for them. They are sub contracted and so forth.
I know; it is just too damn difficult and complicated to give money to people. I mean engineering and coding are hard but nothing really compares...

I know; it is just too damn difficult and complicated to give money to people. I mean engineering and coding are hard but nothing really compares...

That's really not in Apple's control though. It's impossible for Apple to build their own assembly plants while maintaining similar margin. Maybe in the future, but right now their sales do not warranty that decision yet (Foxconn, for example, manufacture a lot more than just for Apple). They do have second source, such as Pegatron, so in a sense they do have some leverage over those contractors' conduct, but probably not very much.

Also, even if you managed to "clean up" assembly plants, there are still countless other factories that have similar problems. Focusing on only one point is, IMHO, just a crusade.

And ironically money is the least of the problems. Foxconn, to my understanding, already pays much more than average in China, and that's why Foxconn is moving into inner provinces and even to Brazil (also they have a plan to manufacture robots in order to reduce their workforce). So it's really not a problem of money, but a problem of safety practices (compared to western nations). No one is forcing them to work for Foxconn. So if you have an axe to grind, go after the Chinese government. That'd be much more effective.

They could give more margin to their resellers perhaps? Ever since the very early days, margins with Apple barely matched overhead. The reseller I worked for (on the PC side) only really made money from Apple on the repair side where the markup on replacement parts was insanely high.

pcchen said:
So if you have an axe to grind, go after the Chinese government. That'd be much more effective.
What axe? I just wish we lived in a world with more people like George Westinghouse is all. As for targeting the Chinese government... good luck with that.

pcchen said:
Focusing on only one point is, IMHO, just a crusade.
I know; one offhand comment seven words long, and suddenly I'm on a crusade. You clearly have more invested in this topic than I do, so I will leave you to it.

What axe? I just wish we lived in a world with more people like George Westinghouse is all. As for targeting the Chinese government... good luck with that.

I know; one offhand comment seven words long, and suddenly I'm on a crusade. You clearly have more invested in this topic than I do, so I will leave you to it.

Did I say "you" are on a crusade? (unless you admit that you just focus on one point) I simply tried to point out what I think is wrong (basically focusing on Apple while ignoring the fact that Apple alone can't do much).

They could give more margin to their resellers perhaps? Ever since the very early days, margins with Apple barely matched overhead. The reseller I worked for (on the PC side) only really made money from Apple on the repair side where the markup on replacement parts was insanely high.

I don't know enough about retailers to say anything deeper than that, but IIRC PC retailers' margin are generally very low. I'm pretty sure here in Taiwan selling Apple stuff are more profitable than selling general PC stuff, though probably not by much.

I don't know enough about retailers to say anything deeper than that, but IIRC PC retailers' margin are generally very low. I'm pretty sure here in Taiwan selling Apple stuff are more profitable than selling general PC stuff, though probably not by much.

That's generally true with most retailers. If they can manage to maintain 10-15% margins on non-consumables they are pretty happy.

It's those consumables where they attempt to make up for the low margins of non-consumables. Toner cartridges, ink cartridges, printer paper, etc. It's why they love practically giving away inkjet printers. Or in Apple retailer's case the ridiculously high cost of replacement parts and/or service.

Regards,
SB

And sometimes the other guy decides to hit back and you get your face slammed yourself. Pity.
Or did you not talk about Apple in the first place?

Motorola already starting to pay for itself?

that was always going to be apples problem if they got sue happy, there are still the new guy relative to Motorola/Nokia/seamens/Samsung/etc

More court wins for apple. Though Samsung owned them in the zinger category :)
Samsung said:
[it is] unfortunate that patent law can be manipulated to give one company a monopoly over rectangles with rounded corners

Back