The Apple Execution Dazzle Thread

What a turnaround this company has been, purely marketing led. They seem to have brought out one electronic rubicks cube after another for the excited masses.

The cloud on the horizon seems to be they have based it all on solid state memory and new devices. It reminds me of IBM with the personal computer all those years ago. Nobody ever got fired for buying an ipod rather than an mp3 player !

What would happen if Foxconn suddenly decided to do it for themselves? I'm surprised they have not decided before now that cutting out the middle man would lead to more money.

Zoosk said:
What a turnaround this company has been, purely marketing led.
If it were only marketing, it'd be easy to copy. It's an important part, but it becomes much easier if you have to ability (both technical and vision) to make what people want before they or competitors know what they want.

Mize said:
Foxconn is not.
Their business model is to make money of extremely small margins. It'd be completely against that company's culture to pay above market price for exceptional talent.

If it were only marketing, it'd be easy to copy. It's an important part, but it becomes much easier if you have to ability (both technical and vision) to make what people want before they or competitors know what they want.

But that is part of marketing, it is market research.

You have to admire Steve Jobs and the team for putting a brand on Foxconns products and making a fortune out of it.

LOL. That's analogous to calling the products I've designed my employees' products. Yes, they build them. No, they didn't think of them or design them.

Not to mention the long list of other companies for whom Foxconn builds.

A lot of it is marketing. I know many people that want an ipad for no reason except it is an apple product. But hey it doesn't matter if it is mostly marketing or not, what matters is Apple is making money and doing what businesses are supposed to do.

No kidding. Of course marketing is a factor, but the products are really good too. They have a coherent vision across software and hardware, and where I could make a lot of dents in their PCs most of the time, they really knocked it out of the park with iOS and iTunes. And that is definitely not just marketing. It is simply a superior product. Sure, they are being caught up to right now, but they were really, really far ahead in many areas. And whatever the source of the technical innovation, they did the most important thing: put it into an easy to use, well-researched and tested, coherent package with great responsiveness to user-input.

No kidding. Of course marketing is a factor, but the products are really good too. They have a coherent vision across software and hardware, and where I could make a lot of dents in their PCs most of the time, they really knocked it out of the park with iOS and iTunes. And that is definitely not just marketing. It is simply a superior product. Sure, they are being caught up to right now, but they were really, really far ahead in many areas. And whatever the source of the technical innovation, they did the most important thing: put it into an easy to use, well-researched and tested, coherent package with great responsiveness to user-input.

This.

I was doing video-chat over Fring to Skype on a Nokia E72 two years ago...but nobody knew or cared and then Fring and Skype pissed all over each other...and now FACETIME is the thing everyone associates with this kind of capability.

Apple is execution to near perfection. Take a bunch of other people's ideas and amalgamate them into a seamless experience and everyone will believe they were yours to begin with.

Haha funny you mention that because I use both Factime and Skype for video calls on my iPhone. The former for people who own iPhones with Facetime, the latter for people who own smartphones that don't have Facetime but can use Skype as well as Skype from PC to PC or PC to phone.

Presumably Tim Cook continues running the company as before and they launch a new phone and/or pad in the near future to show they're still all hands on deck.

Been a while coming but sad to see him finally step down. I imagine he'll still have a disproportionately high influence as a director though...

Depends on how much control he has over final products and how tuned in he is into developing the iXYZ. Next 2 years should be fine though.

Whether you like Apple or Jobs or you hate them, the man affected us all and shaped the industry.
I wish him good health and many more years.

Back