ATI Ships 25 Millionth DirectX 11 Graphics Processing Unit

Advanced Micro Devices' graphics business unit, previously known as ATI, announced on Thursday that it had shipped 25 million of graphics processing units (GPUs) that support DirectX 11 application programming interface (API). Unfortunately, even advanced product line did not help the company to keep its sales in-line with the previous quarter.

Approximately a year after the introduction of the ATI Radeon HD 5800-series graphics cards, the first to support DirectX 11 API in the industry, AMD said that it had sold 25 million of graphics cards in different price ranges supporting the DX11 technology. Shipments of the Radeon HD 5000 family of GPUs have been limited by undersupplies of TSMC, who has had major issues with its 40nm process technologies. Without constraints of contract maker of semiconductors, shipments of the DirectX 11-supporting products would have been higher.

But even with limitations in terms of shipments, the ATI Radeon HD 5000-series of products allowed the company to regain market share from Nvidia Corp., partly because the latter failed to deliver its code-named Fermi products on time. According to Mercury Research, for the first time in years ATI shipped more discrete graphics products than Nvidia in Q2 2010.

Nonetheless, overall softness of the well-developed consumer markets significantly reduced AMD's graphics revenues in the third quarter. Graphics segment revenue decreased 11% sequentially to $390 million, but increased 33% year-over-year. Operating income was $1 million, compared with $33 million in Q2 2010 and $2 million in Q3 2009. The sequential decrease was driven by decreased mobile GPU unit shipments and decreased average selling price (ASP). The year-over-year increase was driven by an increase in GPU unit shipments and ASP.

AMD on Thursday announced revenue for the third quarter of 2010 of $1.62 billion, a net loss of $118 million, or $0.17 per share, and operating income of $128 million. The company reported non-GAAP net income of $108 million, or $0.15 per share, and non-GAAP operating income of $144 million.

Source: http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/...onth_DirectX_11_Graphics_Processing_Unit.html

Bring on Gen2 of DX11 for AMD.

Nonetheless, overall softness of the well-developed consumer markets significantly reduced AMD's graphics revenues in the third quarter. Graphics segment revenue decreased 11% sequentially to $390 million, but increased 33% year-over-year. Operating income was $1 million, compared with $33 million in Q2 2010 and $2 million in Q3 2009. The sequential decrease was driven by decreased mobile GPU unit shipments and decreased average selling price (ASP). The year-over-year increase was driven by an increase in GPU unit shipments and ASP.

Such low margins. Explains why there is no price war to be had. Although I wonder how much was allocated to r&d for the new launch. Anyone have breakdowns?

w00t.gif

according to wiki
"Xbox 360 – 41.7 million as of 23 July 2010"

so looks like pc gaming is doing too bad

Such low margins. Explains why there is no price war to be had. Although I wonder how much was allocated to r&d for the new launch. Anyone have breakdowns?
They were manufacturing NI's, but they weren't selling it. I think it's like before Evergreen's launch. They had slight loss during Q2, but Q4 and Q1 was really nice.

according to wiki

There's a big difference between the number of graphics cards sold and the number of people actually using them for gaming…

according to wiki

Unless this post was sarcastic, approximately ~100 million+ Radeons were shipped since the 360 launched ..

There's a big difference between the number of graphics cards sold and the number of people actually using them for gaming…
Pretty sure steam still has more users (total and concurrent) than XBL and that doesn't even represent as large a fraction of PC gamers as XBL does of 360 gamers. I think you'll find this argument hard to support.

From the grammar in Daveros' post I suspect he meant to say "isn't"*, which would make more sense.

Pretty sure steam still has more users (total and concurrent) than XBL and that doesn't even represent as large a fraction of PC gamers as XBL does of 360 gamers. I think you'll find this argument hard to support.

From the grammar in Daveros' post I suspect he meant to say "isn't"*, which would make more sense.

I qualify as a steam user, never actually played a game off it however.

Don't know how credible this is , but here it goes :

The picture for the Graphics division of AMD isn’t as good as the Computer Solutions’ nor does it look as good compared to last quarter. Their graphics revenue decreased 11% quarter over quarter, but was still up 33% compared to the same quarter a year ago. This was mostly due in part to the fact that AMD had a decrease in both shipments and ASP of those GPUs. Operating income was down to $1M from $33M in 2Q 2010. This is somewhat alarming as this reflects a 97% decrease in operating income for the division. This may be due in part to the fact that nVidia finally began to ramp up their Fermi product offerings as well as their mid-range offerings most notably the GeForce GTX 460. This drove AMD to cut prices and actually triggered somewhat of a price war between the two companies with each lowering their prices to undercut the other. The consumer typically benefits the most out of these kinds of situations.

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/new...9s--3q-2010-quarterly-loss-is-not-so-bad.aspx

Pretty much taken straight from their earnings report.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/AMD-Reports-Third-Quarter-iw-1900877922.html?x=0&.v=1

Graphics segment revenue decreased 11 percent sequentially but increased 33 percent year-over-year. The sequential decrease was driven by decreased mobile graphics processor unit (GPU) unit shipments and decreased ASP. The year-over-year increase was driven by an increase in GPU unit shipments and ASP.
Operating income was $1 million, compared with $33 million in Q2-10 and $2 million in Q3-09.

When has there been price decreases on ati's line up ? All its done is gone back to launch prices from what i can see

HD 5870 for less than $320, after MIR and shipping:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...6&cm_re=Radeon_HD_5870-_-14-125-316-_-Product

Launch MSRP was $379.

HD 5850 for $232 after MIR and shipping:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...7&cm_re=Radeon_HD_5850-_-14-150-477-_-Product

Launch MSRP was $259.

HD 5830 for $155 after MIR, free shipping:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...7&cm_re=Radeon_HD_5830-_-14-161-327-_-Product

Launch MSRP was over $200, something like $239, I think. Granted, even at $155, it's not a very good deal, but that's not the issue.

Overclocked HD 5770 for $132 after MIR, free shipping:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...7&cm_re=Radeon_HD_5770-_-14-125-327-_-Product

Launch MSRP was $159, obviously overclocked versions were more expensive.

Etc.

And? Interesting stat is how many people are online every day, not how many have registered.

I'm online right now. It starts up with my pc (which is on 75% of the time whether I'm using it or not). Trying to compare it to xbox live numbers is ridiculous at best. I'm certain there are tons of people playing games, way more than consoles, but the best way to find them would be to look at facebook activity.

Trying to compare it to xbox live numbers is ridiculous at best.
The point is that it's ridiculous to claim that the PC market is irrelevant. That's clearly nonsense. By the only numbers we have - which are imperfect on *both* platforms (I use my Xbox mainly for netflix and streaming music to my receiver, but I count as "online" whenever I'm listening there too!) - indicate both markets are doing pretty well. Unsurprisingly really why game developers continue to ship games on all three "HD" platforms... they are *all* a good chunk of sales.

Back