Valve announces DOTA 2

green.pixel

Veteran
dota2.jpg

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/10/13/valve-announces-dota-2/

Of course it’s being made in Source, so it looks dramatically different than the ancient Warcraft III engine. And GI says that Source is getting an update with this release, with new lighting, and the all-important true-cloth simulation, the lack of which has been holding back gaming for years. They’re also building AI bots to replace missing players, and of course therefore for training, but not making a single-player game.

Valve says it plans to devote as much time and updates to Dota 2 as Team Fortress 2 has received over the years, so it could well be a game that evolves over time, and seemingly one whose evolution will be driven by the community of dedicated players.

The GameInformer article:

The bulk of innovation in Dota 2, however, is ancillary to the gameplay itself. Valve is upgrading Steamworks (the company's backend technologies for matchmaking and other gameplay and community-related things) to allow them to create in-game rewards for participating in the Dota 2 community. The idea is to have everything a player does in or out of game tie back into their online identity. Like the improvements to Source, the Steamworks upgrades will be available to third-party developers who choose to use Valve's tools when Dota 2 launches in 2011.

Valve believes that the solution to the huge barrier to entry is threefold. The first, obvious solution is to have excellent skill-based matchmaking for both individuals and teams. Valve believes that the work going into Steamworks for Dota 2's release meets that requirement. Second, interactive guides will allow players to do more than just read a guide for their favorite hero that has been deemed helpful by the community at large. Valve plans to allow guide-makers to tie their work back into the game by doing things like highlighting suggested item purchases or displaying useful information during a match.

Finally, a coaching system is being deeply integrated into the game. By logging in as a coach, veteran players can do their part to help out newer folks. Valve hasn't entirely decided on the specifics of how newbies and coaches will be matched up, but once they're together a few things happen. The coach sees the pupil's screen, and gets private voice and chat channels to communicate with them. The coach probably won't be able to take control of anything directly (once again, the details are currently under discussion), but information is power in Dota 2 and having a mentor whispering in your ear can make all the difference in the world.

Artwork:
http://www.shacknews.com/screenshots.x?gallery=16086&game_id=10018

This the 2nd surprise out of the three they've been preparing. With the first one being TF2 in-game shop, the third one better be Episode 3. :p

PC gaming is going to kick ass next year. Looking forward to building a new rig.

DOTA2
BF3
Portal 2
Diablo 3

But Robert, PC gaming is supposed to be dead! :LOL:

I blame the console dogs for over extending this generation with their silly casual ventures! Otherwise, we could have been looking forward to a new 360 next year and a PS4 the year after :( The quality difference between console and PC version is now starting to become very obvious. Much more so than the simple resolution, AA, AF upgrades that were the case for a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even just the resolution/AA differences on my 2 year old GTX260 are staggering. BFBC2 at 1080p + 2xMSAA is night and day difference over Xbox version 720p with no AA. Even my noob roommates were like whoa :oops:

And yet here I am playing more Xbox this week than I have in the past 2 years. Thanks Bungie :p

PC gaming is going to kick ass next year. Looking forward to building a new rig.

DOTA2
BF3
Portal 2
Diablo 3
I'll probably be right there with you. Even if only for BF3.

God, just thinking back how awesome BF2 and BF2:SF were gives me wood. :oops:

This is coming out in 2011 boys and whiny bitches who will suck at this game and complain about the community. You know who you are!

1 million dollar winner take all Dota 2 tournament at Gamesconn. Like a fuckin loser, I'll be watching the streams!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=439318

I apologize for my language in this thread. I'm just getting warmed up for the Dota community experience!

This is coming out in 2011 boys and whiny bitches who will suck at this game and complain about the community. You know who you are!

1 million dollar winner take all Dota 2 tournament at Gamesconn. Like a fuckin loser, I'll be watching the streams!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=439318

I apologize for my language in this thread. I'm just getting warmed up for the Dota community experience!
Yeah l2p noob, uninstall pls!

I'm getting pretty tired with HoN, so I'm really looking forward to this.

Amazingly it's been around for 12 years now. Still one of the best competitive games to watch.

The Arlington Major starts in one month's time and the ESL One Malaysia Major later in the month. DPC leagues are starting to end this Tour 3. Some awesome games already played and I expect some awesome games still to come before the Major.

Then The International 2022 in October. The biggest tournament in the world. The International 2021 prize pool was $40,018,195 USD and surprise winners were Team Spirit who beat favourites PSG.LGD 3-2 in the finals.

Bring on TI2022!

Last edited:
If you can bet on it, then yes.
So you bet how long you can watch for ? cant think of any other ways you could competively watch something do people watch the watching competition
have you edited your original post to now say something different ?
ps: did you reply to a post made 11 years earlier?

Back