NVIDIA Kepler speculation thread

Repeating that canned GK100 crap is not making it more credible. As a matter of fact if NV choses to not release GK110 for desktop and battle the ground there just with performance SKUs as up to now, there's not a single necessity for any GK100 ghosts being cancelled, GK110 supposedly suck in gaming or any other funky theory that anyone could come up with.

In all likeliness it could simply mean that they can actually finance GK110 expenses from professional market sales only and it would be a quite simple business decision.

Apart from that GK104 has 8 SMXs (192SPs/SMX), 4 GPCs, 16 TMUs/SMX, 32 ROPs, 256bit while GK110 has 15 SMXs (192SPs/SMX), 5 GPCs, 16 TMUs/SMX, 48 ROPs, 384bit which as mentioned over and over again above doesn't suggest any 3D weakness, rather the contrary and even more so since both belong to the same architectural family.

Just for the record's sake there are rumors floating around that the GK110 HPC chips shipped are 14 SMX cores clocked in the high 700s. I can't of course vouch that it's true, however it's at least an indication that things might not be as bad as with GF100. Even if they'd just go for a 14 SMX desktop core at say 850MHz it still would be at least 40% faster than a GTX680 on estimate.

On top of that someone should actually ask himself why it's damn hard with initial runs for high complexity chips to not be able to supply with the top bin. Why isn't Intel shipping any Xeon Phis for HPC with all of its 64 cores enabled and why aren't they pushing frequencies even further as they will later on. One would think that Intel with its own foundries and manufacturing process advantage would have a magic wand and get everything right from the start at maximum capacity. As a matter of fact both Intel and NVIDIA are for the very same reason in a hurry to supply their HPC partners with their respective offerings, as none of the two would want the other to have any significant lead time. Sweet irony both offerings will be either at 1 TFLOPs DGEMM or slightly above :p

In the scenario where GK110 sucks at gaming I don't see how it can address the professional market.

In the scenario where GK110 smokes the rest of the product stack I can't imagine Nvidia not taking the opportunity to stick it in AMD's eye. If it's 40% faster than 680 I think Nv would be happy to sell 10,000 units at a $500/unit loss (if they had to). In reality they can just set the price extremely high and release slides saying it's "sold out globally".

I still find it hard to believe but if GK110 wont be in desktop, it can be used in virtualizing and remote gaming.. So those TMUs doesnt guarante it will be on desktop

That's not even the entire story since SMX != SMX between GK110 and 104. It doesn't take too long to consider register file and/or cache amount differences (amongst others) between the two to see that it's not an as simple equasion. GF114 has 2/3rd the ALU amount of GF110 (at higher frequencies), the same amount of TMUs and it's not just the bandwidth and/or ROP amount difference that gives the latter a ~42% lead in average performance.
Yes that is true - actually GF114 has 3/4 of the ALUs of GF110 (and both have the same amount of TMUs) :). These are difficult to compare however imho, because the SMs were definitely quite different.
This time the SMX look quite the same on the architecture side, I'm just not sure how much difference larger caches / register files (or the other new features) make with graphic workloads. It is quite possible though it gives some quite meaningful boost in some games while being completely irrelevant in others.

Not long ago, most posts on this thread said GK106 didn't exist and would never come to market. I'm not sure why the default is to believe Nvidia won't launch their products, despite past history: every GPU Nvidia has made has been sold as a GPU. I don't think things are different this time.

Not long ago, most posts on this thread said GK106 didn't exist and would never come to market. I'm not sure why the default is to believe Nvidia won't launch their products, despite past history: every GPU Nvidia has made has been sold as a GPU. I don't think things are different this time.

In the majority of cases IHVs either kill a project relatively early in its development or they just release it even though they know it's going to lose even significantly against its direct competition. There are of course exceptions but IHVs like NV or AMD aren't Intel (and even then Larabee wasn't killed completely it was just delayed and changed focus); for the first two cases we see once in a while a NV30, a R600 or Pentium4 and Bulldozer.

GK106 wasnt the primary target.. as they need GK104 for performance crown after lowballs of Tahiti.. and GK107 for the laptop and big deal with Apple and co. 28nm was capacity limited they had to choose what think it's best, and apparently they were right.. GK106's market were already floaded with GTX560/570 stocks.. and they suspended it until 28nm offers more waffers for them, and while this time they have the time to tweak GK106 a bit more initially it was a just 768CCs and 2GPCs, but it wasnt close enough to Pitcairn, and they eventually just added a SMX and here we have it 10 months later..

FWIW, Preliminary tests of GK110 show that it has 40% lead over 7970GE according to Nvidia's confidential materials.. believe it or not it's up to you i would take it with a grain of salt..

FWIW, Preliminary tests of GK110 show that it has 40% lead over 7970GE according to Nvidia's confidential materials.. believe it or not it's up to you i would take it with a grain of salt..
Okay, I'm taking it with a small grain of salt, but I have a few questions:
  1. Would that be GK110 for GeForce or for Tesla?
  2. Should we expect release GK110's to have a greater lead over the 7970 GE (using the same metric)?
  3. Can we guess approximate clock speeds etc.?

I think GK106 was not mentioned officially until its actual launch, and given how late it was, doubts about its existence were natural.

I don't recall anyone actually asserting that it didn't exist, though.

I think GK106 was not mentioned officially until its actual launch, and given how late it was, doubts about its existence were natural.

I don't recall anyone actually asserting that it didn't exist, though.

No one is doubting GK110's physical existence either from what I can read :LOL:

On the other hand elsewhere some insisted that GK104 was never meant to get into the mobile space: http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/28942-nvidia-silently-slips-few-new-mobile-gpus

Don't ask, don't tell ;)

That is some kind of very weird internal policy of companies to neglect or hide the existence of something so negligible as these low performing parts. In any case the competition will respond, not a big deal if it is a secret or not... They just pretend to be interesting.

In the scenario where GK110 smokes the rest of the product stack I can't imagine Nvidia not taking the opportunity to stick it in AMD's eye. If it's 40% faster than 680 I think Nv would be happy to sell 10,000 units at a $500/unit loss (if they had to). In reality they can just set the price extremely high and release slides saying it's "sold out globally".

Unless they shake their hands as true friends.

Considering how much it has been crippled I'm not certain the 675MX isn't verification of that sentiment.

It's no verification either that the 675MX will have comparable performance to a 670MX, or that there won't be any higher performance mobile GPUs in the future.

I still find it hard to believe but if GK110 wont be in desktop, it can be used in virtualizing and remote gaming.. So those TMUs doesnt guarante it will be on desktop
Don't forget about VGX though. VGX will be NVIDIA's primary virtualization product for both gaming and workstation users.

I hate the V word. I'd say it's multitasking :), or multi user, which can be done with or without virtualisation.
e.g. you might use 16 desktop Windows VM on a PC, because the licensing is a bit cheaper, but using one server Windows OS with 16 concurrent users makes more sense.
Do that and you will have less virtualisation that when you used DOS applications in windows 3.1 and 9x.

BTW you could have a login menu on your thin client where you can choose between several machines, so you have failover and/or different OS installations etc. This is still not virtualisation, it's using computers over a network.

Back