NVIDIA Kepler speculation thread

They can't even figure out that the ROPs are tied to the memory bus. I highly doubt this information has any credibility.

There's even a most strange thing, why will they use a 192bits memory controller with 2gb memory ? if they goes for 1.5gb, this could be understandable, but if it is for use the complete 2gb, 1344CC and same clock speed, no reason at all.... ( yes i know we have see this on low end cards allready ). What could be the result on performance difference with just this change ?

When i see 2x 6pin in addition and when we look the reference 670 pcb... i have really the feeling they will take a 670, lasercut some cores binned low, and reuse completely the 670's.

All of this seems a bit strange on my mind ( maybe only me ): its like if AMD have take a 7950, put 1.5gb of memory and have release the 7870 with thoses spec.

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember GTS 550: 192 bits, 1 GB framebuffer.

It's not impossible (ROPs ---> memory channels , =/= memory densities), but makes no sense (GTX660 Ti, 192 bits, 2GB ~= GTX670).

hence why i have write " i know Nvidia have do it by the past ".. but not for this type of range and more likey on cards who was released for specific market and price, well at least not as a main "middle range card "...

Just cause it bring a lot of problem in term of efficiency and performance . If this is for differentiate them of the 670, there's different road to explore, starting by the clock speed, and if this is for disable a part of the core ( the memory controller ), starting by just disable 1 SM can be a good solution, specially it can even let you use chips who will have not been qualified for the 680-670..

1SMX disabled on the 670 just bring a decrease of performance of maybe 2% vs the 680 ( hence why you have some 670 overclocked as the Asus DirectCU II who are faster of the 680 stock with just some mhz more ).
Act on the memory controller for limit the bandwith and bring a difference with the 670 dont look like a choice an engineer could do . Its good for place a product in the middle of a range not on a card who will represent the top of his class ( the middle range class ).

I dont think there's many chips who come back from TSMC who have a problem with some memory controller parts, but im sure some can be used with one SMX less when they will not be qualified otherwise. so lasercut the memory controller just for make it a bit different of the 670, is just plenty useless and will even cost you an operation in addition of the production of the chips for nothing but be able to set it in the middle range instead of the "high range" ( so it will cost you money ) . At this point, why dont just make a 670, call it 660TI, a 900mhz turbo and sell it for 80-100$ less ?

If they release this card with thoses spec i can only start to ask me some strange question? have we allready seen a series from Nvidia so badly structured ? some 670 are faster of the 680, some 660 will be faster of the 670, some 650 faster of the 660 maybe ? looking last rumors, i can allready say the pcb of the 670 = 660TI... Is there any value to buy a 680 over a 670?, will it be the same for the 670 over the 660TI ?

What would be faster? A 670 minus one SMX, with 256bit bus or the current rumored 660 Ti with 1/4 ROPs and bus width disabled?

That being asked, what is the performance ballpark we are expecting from the 660 Ti?

120W with 670 specification its just plenty impossible. I dont understand how the guy who write this article can have copy that.. maybe the 650 or 660 non TI.... but not this one. how do you think they can remove 50W from the 670?

i don't write that new :LOL:

what I wanted to emphasize was that of a single chip have made ​​a multitude of products, too many

http://bbs.expreview.com/thread-54008-1-1.html

120W TDP is probably a GK106 GTX 660 "vanilla", with rumored 980/1032/3000MHz.

Yeah i think some rumors mix different cards or info they have got are from different cards .

For example, some speak about a 660TI, with the same amount of SP of the 670, and with 980 / 1023mhz (turbo), a 192bit bus, 2gb ..

I can imagine the bus will have an impact, maybe the ROP too.. But seriously this card should end as fast of the 670 in some case, and maybe 3-4% slower in other case.. for 100$ less of the 670, many peoples will ofc buy this card over the 670, and peoples who want SLI 670, will even more jump on it.

I had said Nvidia will never let the middle range market to AMD, but at this point it start to be a bit ridiculous to have 3 cards in less of 10% performance window. And ofc we dont even speak about OC models.. (again some 670 are faster of the 680, and it could end the same way with overclocked models, you could even get some 660TI retail OC faster of a 680) a 1150-1200mhz Turbo 660TI should even faster of the standard 680). Good for 660 buyer anyway.

Posted by Olivion on XS:

To take with care ..

http://www.redquasar.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=8612#lastpost

English version

@ CTS-MOD NV 660ti leaked, we got the 256bit version
Power port is 6p 6p (offical one is 6p) TDP 120 ~ 130w
default @ 980/6000 BOOST up to 1123
SP1152

Roughly the same pcb as GTX670
Output 2 * DVI DP HDMI
3d mark11 X 27 **
Can be oc to 1.2ghz with air cooling easily

Anyway nvidia is a bit struggling on this, 192bits cannot beat 7870, 256bits is too powerfual will effect their own product such as GTX670.

More infomation is depands on our satuaion

The one leaked before is 192bits, cannot beat the 7870, so nv give it 256bits and removed one group of SP so it comes into 1152SP
Interesting, they said they got a 256bit version with one SMX disabled, cause Nv seems have decided to let down the 192bits version cause it was not beat the 7870.

i think that a 660ti with 1152sp and 192 bit (or 256 too, i don't think is enormous difference) could be more balanced not only towards 7870, but also gtx 670

bandwith is crucial.
but simply on the market, 1.5GB is not too appealing when you have 2GB cards, over and under and at the same level as it. the number is lower so it doesn't feel like a very good card.
maybe you can have both versions including a cheaper one, as with variants of the gtx 460.

Back