NVIDIA Kepler speculation thread

from 3dc
akh9w3.jpg

550mm2 on 28nm
I know this can be all taken into speculation. But, really:?:
I have to wonder, at the very least, if a dual GK104 would provide higher results.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some math:

GK104 has 8 SMX's, 1536 cores
GK110 will have 12 SMX's 2304 cores

That equates to the 150% gaming performance

So if the GK110 only has 50% mores cores why does the GK110:

Die size increase by 87%
Transistors increase by 69%

I wouldn't know about the validity of those figures, but I'd expect GK110 to have:

• more registers per SP,
  • possibly narrower SMXs, just like GF100 vs GF104,
  • more L1 cache per SMX, or at least per SP,
  • more L2 cache,
  • a wider memory bus,
  • ECC everywhere,
  • 1/2 DP support,
  • perhaps various other features that GK104 lacks.

In fact, if you look at Tahiti, it's bigger than what you'd expect from looking at Pitcairn and its SP count, and a lot bigger if you also consider that it has the same amount of ROPs, a very similar front-end, and a memory bus that is "only" 50% larger, just like the L2 cache.

I wouldn't know about the validity of those figures, but I'd expect GK110 to have:

• more registers per SP,
  • possibly narrower SMXs, just like GF100 vs GF104,
  • more L1 cache per SMX, or at least per SP,
  • more L2 cache,
  • a wider memory bus,
  • ECC everywhere,
  • 1/2 DP support,
  • perhaps various other features that GK104 lacks.
Altering fundamental aspects in the micro-architecture (at SM level) within a generation is unlikely.
On the other hand, with such fat multiprocessors, I simply can't imagine what a 16 SMX Kepler part will look like. It would have very weird packaging - something like the GF104 die, but far larger.

See, you can't assume that they have no big chip unless you assume that GK104 was always meant to occupy the flagship role. Now ask yourself how in the world could nVidia have assumed that a < 300mm^2 chip could beat AMD's best when they've been so far behind the perf/mm curve for several generations in a row? If we want to assume stuff then the assumptions should at least make sense!

It's a rather pointless argument anyhow, I think the facts (will) speak for themselves.

You are assuming that Nvidia assumed? :p NV likely could not have known what AMD was planning, nor what performance AMD would end up with (especially given the timeframes involved in the design of these chips). They did their own thing and as it turns out did a very good job. So come launch time they could launch their intended mid range card against AMD's high end.

A more interesting question is "why didn't NVidia do it this way from day 1, i.e. G80".

They kind of did the same thing with G92. It launched before GT200 on the same process, and arguably its performance would have been closer to GT200 had it been designed with a GDDR5 memory controller.

550mm2 on 28nm
I know this can be all taken into speculation. But, really:?:
I have to wonder, at the very least, if a dual GK104 would provide higher results.

Whats so surprising? They launched Fermi first on 40nm and it was 530 mm2. What makes you think they wouldnt go for a large die this time around? Their strategy is more conservative this time around as they decided to wait till the process was more mature before going for a big die.

Sure dual GK104 wll provide higher performance, but GK110 has dual role as a HPC card, which GK104 cannot provide.

Some math:

GK104 has 8 SMX's, 1536 cores
GK110 will have 12 SMX's 2304 cores

That equates to the 150% gaming performance

So if the GK110 only has 50% mores cores why does the GK110:

Die size increase by 87%
Transistors increase by 69%

Higher DP rate, other HPC features, Larger caches, ECC, Wider memory bus are some of the things i can think of off the top of my head.

Edit: Alexko beat me to it, and yes the Pitcairn v/s Tahiti analogy is what i was thinking of as well for GK104 v/s GK110

NV likely could not have known what AMD was planning, nor what performance AMD would end up with (especially given the timeframes involved in the design of these chips). They did their own thing and as it turns out did a very good job. So come launch time they could launch their intended mid range card against AMD's high end.

That's exactly what I was implying ;)

What are the chances of AMD lowering prices now? or are they going to use the Eyefinity/High resolution performance differences to justify being the same price?

A more interesting question is "why didn't NVidia do it this way from day 1, i.e. G80".
Until Fermi, Nvidias main battle was against area because they could afford the big die strategy due to their near-monopoly in the professional market. Quadro cross-financed Geforce. Now their main enemy is power and newer process technology has been proven to be unpredictable at best, unreliable at worst in the first couple of month after it's inception.

Obviously not being confirmed by Nvidia, I am under the impression, that they did not hope to best Tahiti with GK104 in the first place.

Back