NVIDIA Kepler speculation thread

7970 is more efficient than gtx580, but it has a 250w official tdp, if this had never reached in actual use, why put 6+8 pin power?

Because there is the Powertune option to increase the Power to a max 250W and increase overclocking capability but this is not how the card is set at default while the 580 figures are more indicative of the power draw?
Can we agree that in practically every review around here (except Xbit but it halso has the 6970 at the level of the 580, so I wonder what are they measuring there, maybe powertune+20% against default again...), in every condition, the 7970 measured power consumption is quite lower than the 580 at full load (in certain cases, like in Techreport review, in Skyrim the 7970 drew 80W less)?
Also the 7870 has two 6-pin power connectors, but it does not draw 225W...

Now, I will not say that the 680 will not consume less than 7970 and maybe even less than 7950, but putting the 580 and 7970 at the same level IS misleading, even if the max. board power is the same.

In practice there's around 50W difference between the 580 and 7970 - both in max power and typical gaming loads. And the picture depicts the 680's claimed tdp to be around 50W lower than 580's claimed tdp, so...

Because they're using PCIe pin plugs to illustrate their point.
Hm, yes, maybe you could look at it this way. But then, maybe it's just that: An illustration. Maybe 250 little power plants would have been better?

That 250W is with +20% powertune right? And even then it consumes less power than GTX580. Not to mention its actually faster too.
To the first: You should ask AMD. I could only guess from what it was with HD 6900...

To the rest: Sure, no doubt about it. Consumes less power and is faster.

250W is the max allowed power consumption with powertune at 0% and the user has the option to change that to be between 200-300W. I haven't seen any test to show that any AMD card has ever throttled in a game with the default powertune setting though.

250W is the max allowed power consumption with powertune at 0% and the user has the option to change that to be between 200-300W. I haven't seen any test to show that any AMD card has ever throttled in a game with the default powertune setting though.

If I recall correctly, Cayman would slightly throttle every now and then, but Tahiti doesn't.

Because there is the Powertune option to increase the Power to a max 250W and increase overclocking capability but this is not how the card is set at default while the 580 figures are more indicative of the power draw?
Can we agree that in practically every review around here (except Xbit but it halso has the 6970 at the level of the 580, so I wonder what are they measuring there, maybe powertune+20% against default again...), in every condition, the 7970 measured power consumption is quite lower than the 580 at full load (in certain cases, like in Techreport review, in Skyrim the 7970 drew 80W less)?
Also the 7870 has two 6-pin power connectors, but it does not draw 225W...

Now, I will not say that the 680 will not consume less than 7970 and maybe even less than 7950, but putting the 580 and 7970 at the same level IS misleading, even if the max. board power is the same.

the card has an official 250w tdp and 6+8 pin power, the slide is marketing but not wrong.

the card has an official 250w tdp and 6+8 pin power, the slide is marketing but not wrong.

HD7970 TDP is 210W. GTX 580 TDP is 244W. And I wont comment on performance again.

So how is this slide not wrong exactly? The only thing not wrong is the fact that yes both GTX 580 and HD7970 use 6+8 pin power plugs.

Well, if you notice, R7970's position is over GTX580's which means that the slide correctly shows it as being lower consumption. Then, the performance, if the relative performance difference between GTX580 and R7970 is so much smaller than the one between those two and the GTX680, then the slide is absolutely correct too. :mrgreen:

Do you really think Nvidia will do a slide ugly like this one ? the Nvidia logo is blurred, the police on the left dont match quality of official slides.
Lol, if this is slide is official i hope Nvidia have fired the guy who do this slide.

Yeah, well, maybe the 6+8-pin is not there for a reason... but honestly, I doubt it. Why would AMD decide to go for it, when the card never is above 225 watts? They should know the behaviour of their products best, shouldn't they?
Simple - overclocking.

Unless of course this thing has no OC headroom at all.
Even if the chip could actually reach a little higher clocks, the 2x6pin plugs won't allow for a lot of headroom in power draw.

So anything above a 5-10% overclock will be a big surprise, imo.

I think they're getting a few more hits than they can cope with: the page just won't load for me. Would you mind giving us the gist of it?

Quite good advantage over 7970 in already Nvidia-oriented benchmarks (BF3 - Lost Planet2 - Unigine Heaven - Batman - are the graphs from an Nvidia presentation?), no word about power consumption as far as i can tell

8SwlR.gif

Screenshotted.

Back