NVIDIA Kepler speculation thread

Seems a little off to me. Just fiddling a bit with that picture, that alledged GK104 is almost perfectly congruent with a G92a. Maybe just a tad smaller. Should be nearer to 330mm² then.
I tried drawing some rectangles around where the die might be, using the lines (I didn't include any part of the lines in the rectangles, but the ratio should be essentially the same if I did) and color changes (which are fairly clear on the G92b but not that clear on the GK104) as guides.

I got 1.71" x 1.78" for the G92b and 1.72" x 1.92" for the GK104 (these measurements are how big my rectangles are in Keynote, the full image is 8.33" x 4.31"), so with a G92b size of 260 mm^2, that's 282 mm^2. Seems too small….

EDIT: Of course, all these measurement estimates depend on both dies at the same scale, as someone somewhere pointed out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the G92b was a bit over 270mm², isn't it?
I got 260 mm^2 from Wikipedia and I've seen that number elsewhere.

I did a small Google search and I see numbers anywhere from 221 mm^2 to ~289 mm^2. Over here the average estimate seems to be ~270 mm^2. Using 270 mm^2 for G92b gives 293 mm^2 for GK104 and using 289 mm^2 for G92b gives 314 mm^2 for GK104.

Did he bring news?

In any case if they name it GTX 680, it pretty much confirms something like 499$ price point. I don't think they can go higher than that with 2GB unless it's really fast card, but it's also very unlikely it's cheaper than that with that name and what should be quite low volume of cards initially and the bigger chip seemingly still a long way off. Perhaps a year from now when the 28nm is better matured to go after higher volumes that we once again see good deals on cards.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1225986/...-arrives-this-month-etc-etc/400#post_16691060
As an employee of one big pc retail company i've had a chance to see evga mini presentation of GTX 680 2 days ago. According to evga rep GTX 680 will launch on march 22nd, it packs 1536 cores, 2gb DDR5, it will have two 6-pin pci power connectors and TDP of 190w, MSRP is $550. He also said that gtx 560ti /570 /580 will get price cuts up to $50. And that GTX 570 wont get replaced until late may. The guy was super excited.

Wonder how the 549$ MSRP price point is going to be recieved. There was quite a tirade about Tahiti's price and this Kepler is smaller (and the die size keeps shrinking!), has less memory, easier PCB design, less power delivery, maybe simpler cooler too...

Wonder how the 549$ MSRP price point is going to be recieved. There was quite a tirade about Tahiti's price and this Kepler is smaller (and the die size keeps shrinking!), has less memory, easier PCB design, less power delivery, maybe simpler cooler too...

Why should there be any double standards in such a case outside of the hardcore followers from each side? There's no justification for such high MSRPs especially considering the general financial situation the world is in general in. Welcome back to 2008 as someone else just said.

Why should there be any double standards in such a case outside of the hardcore followers from each side? There's no justification for such high MSRPs especially considering the general financial situation the world is in general in. Welcome back to 2008 as someone else just said.

100% agreed. Nvidia was able to sell dies bigger than this on 40nm for more than half as much and managed to have great gross margins. If it launches at $550, then I won't be upgrading anytime soon at all.

Seems like a case of price fixing to me. With the low end gone from both sides, it is obvious that both companies are missing that revenue.

With the direction of faster integrated graphics from both sides, the only thing that is going to be able to drive the high rate of R and D is higher priced cards as the volume is certainly shrinking.

What was sketchy this generation was the pricing of AMD's initial products of 7xxx lead to little cannibalization of the last generations and I am pretty sure didn't hurt Nvidia products much either considering the bang for buck of their cards were hardly hurt. Compared to AMD other releases and this one is far different as the 5xxx release bankrupted some of Nvidia's partners or in desperation caused them to switch camps.

I can easily imagine both manufacturers getting together to raise prices as it would be beneficial for both companies if they didn't get caught. The last time AMD pricing was this high was during the price fixing era. Nvidia would obviously benefit from selling it's midrange higher than their last generations high end and it would allow their high end to be priced like the price fixing era.

If the gtx 680 is priced along the lines of the 7970, I fear for the pricing of all future products.

Generally speaking, people care a lot more about the performance of their GPU than the size of its die. So if it's faster than Tahiti XT, $550 will be just fine.

Generally speaking, people care a lot more about the performance of their GPU than the size of its die. So if it's faster than Tahiti XT, $550 will be just fine.

No, there will be griping. Already is.

At least 7970 offered a new high end, this is going to be REALLY blase if it's only ~7970 for the same price.

Part of the problem was the initial "destroys 7970 for $299!" fanboy fud rumors. It looks really bad now compared to that.

But we'll see, I still wonder if it might be priced somewhere less than $550.

Part of the problem was the initial "destroys 7970 for $299!" fanboy fud rumors. It looks really bad now compared to that.
FUD I don't disagree with, but I'm not sure about "fanboy" since that rumor was started by Charlie….

On another note, if the rumor of a dual GK104 is true, then I'm inclined to think that it means the GK110 won't be close to 2x GK104 in terms of specs (otherwise they'd release the GK110 instead of a dual GK104), or the GK110's (planned) release date is considerably after that of GK104 and they want to use a 2x GK104 as a stopgap. I don't think anyone's expecting the GK110 to be over 1.5x GK104 in terms of overall specs (except the compute stuff) anyway.

Back