NVIDIA Kepler speculation thread

What do you mean?

The magick driver faeirie queen has just come back from her annual leave and has been working hard on the GCN driver since her return a couple weeks back. The GCN driver she has been working on (codename: Hardy) will give 7970 180% boost in most applications!

AMD had better perf/mm^2 in the past, mainly because
1) They didn't have all the GPGPU gunk that nVidia chose to put in
2) They didn't have a hot clock

With this generation
1) AMD has now gone down the GPGPU route, much like Fermi
2) nVidia has allegedly dropped the hot-clock

So, I would expect things to be much closer now
- though AMD would still have an advantage if they are on 28HPL, and NV is on 28HP...
Edit: Actually, that's a perf/w issue, not a perf/mm^2 issue, AFAIK
The hot clock should give better perf/mm^2 not worse. Nvidia's warp size being smaller than AMD's wavefront likely contributes something though.

Nvidia's warp size being smaller than AMD's wavefront likely contributes something though.
I don't think this is that obvious. It sure will decrease peak flops/area but it should lead to higher utilization (of course, depending on the workload, dynamic branching etc. should be faster). Haven't seen any numbers though for a conclusion either way.

There will be two variants of GK107, GK107-200 GPU in D14M2-20 and the top bin GK107-300 in D14P1-10 SKU. The GK107-300 variant will be powered by GDDR3 or GDDR5 memory, while the GK107-200 will sport 512MB of DDR3 RAM.

*click pic to source

i see pretty cheap pwm design should be a ~35-40W card..

Last edited by a moderator:
Instruction issue overhead in Fermi is massive. Only 64 flops per issue vs 512 on NI and 128 on GCN. Add in score-boarding and dynamic scheduling and there's the difference.

The hot clock should give better perf/mm^2 not worse. Nvidia's warp size being smaller than AMD's wavefront likely contributes something though.

My hunch is that the hot clock cost them more than it's worth - that's why
1) they're dropping it this time round (assuming that's a correct rumor)
2) no one else does it - i.e. if it was such a good idea to run most of the chip at this obviously stressful frequency, then AMD would have done it by now.

As discussed several pages back the hot clock costs a lot of energy and transistors to do all the additional pipeling necessary to get the clock speeds up.

2nd if you look in GCN thread lots of people where boarderline orgasmic about GCN's ALU architecture specifically around scheduling and how it is far simpler then fermi but almost as functional.

Adding GPGPU functionality costs transistors, compared to AMD's previous lean & mean design
- it's a burden that nVidia have been carrying for a few generations, but now has AMD designed a fairly comparable architecture, they also have to carry that burden.

My hunch is that the hot clock cost them more than it's worth - that's why
1) they're dropping it this time round (assuming that's a correct rumor)
2) no one else does it - i.e. if it was such a good idea to run most of the chip at this obviously stressful frequency, then AMD would have done it by now.

As discussed several pages back the hot clock costs a lot of energy and transistors to do all the additional pipeling necessary to get the clock speeds up.
The extra transistors due to the increased clock rate are more than made up for by halving the ALUs. The negative to the hot clock concept is power, not area. Though there could be other negatives like complexity. There are a lot of bogus rumors floating about, but I have a feeling the removal of the hot clock is correct.

whitetiger said:
2) no one else does it
That's out of a representative equivalent sample of 1, right?

You could also say that, right now, 50% of the contemporary, known add-on GPU architecture are using hot clocks. On average, of course...

Is it reasonable to guess that the hot clock is a power problem? I mean, it's not like these things are clocked at the 3GHz+ speed-racer CPU level. And as to the vector length and scoreboarding stuff... I'd love to see some numbers on energy consumption for the decode + issue part of a scoreboarded in-order pipeline relative to energy burned in a single fma.

psurge said:
Is it reasonable to guess that the hot clock is a power problem?
Depends on what you call 'a problem'. If your performance is entirely power constrained (as I believe was and is the case for the 550mm2 beasts) every little big of improvement is going to help.

I mean, it's not like these things are clocked at the 3GHz+ speed-racer CPU level. And as to the vector length and scoreboarding stuff... I'd love to see some numbers on energy consumption for the decode + issue part of a scoreboarded in-order pipeline relative to energy burned in a single fma.
Why compare it to a single FMA? (At least the decode part.)

You could also say that, right now, 50% of the contemporary, known add-on GPU architecture are using hot clocks. On average, of course...

S3's Chrome 400 series (and probably Chrome 500 series, its hard to find architectural information on them but I get the feeling little changed) used hot clocks as well, and interestingly those were designs which focused on comparatively low power consumption.

That's two out of three contemporary designers of PC add-on board GPUs.

Why compare it to a single FMA? (At least the decode part.)

Well - I figured the chances of getting/finding some information would be higher if we allow numbers from a more traditional scalar core. I was then just going to multiply the cost of a single FMA by the physical vector width. I don't know how applicable to current GPUs that would be, especially since they are heavily threaded, and numbers for a more traditional core are likely to be for a front end that has just a single thread context. Maybe some kind of scaling argument could be applied... anyway, at least it would be something slightly more concrete as a basis for speculation.

I would be ignoring stuff like the cost of sending the decoded instruction to all lanes of a SIMD, which seems like it might be non-negligeable if those are really wide. That seems like it could be a plus (in addition to covering ALU latency) for doing something like temporal SIMT. In the Maxwell thread there's a link to a description of Echelon, where there's a MIMD setup (including temporal SIMT), where a pair of DFMAs and a LD/ST unit get their own scheduler/decode issue logic (AFAICT), and so these numbers wouldn't be totally uninteresting in that context.

On average the clocks are medium-warm ;)

Actually, superficially, going for a hot-clock scheme seem like an easy win
- a few extra pipeline stages, and boom, double your performance ...
- but as we have seen nV have had problems, and no perf/mm^2 or perf/W advantage, but really a perf advantage because they were prepared to use bigger chips.

AMD has always had more ALUs, and with the rumors pointing to a 2x increase in ALUs on the GK104 (with no hot-clocks), and AMD still managing a large ALU count on GCN, then this points to more than just power problems with hot-clocks
:oops:

They're slightly different, but you could throw in Intel's HD graphics, VIA's whatever-it's-called, IMG's PowerVR, ARM's Mali, Qualcomm's Adreno…

Unless some of those actually use hot clocks, of course, but I'm not aware of that.

Adding GPGPU functionality costs transistors, compared to AMD's previous lean & mean design
- it's a burden that nVidia have been carrying for a few generations, but now has AMD designed a fairly comparable architecture, they also have to carry that burden.

that again is assumption, how about quantifying what that burden is. its easy to say lean and mean, it doesn't really mean anything.

lets look at AMD's ALU scaling on LVIW 4/5 designs. now lets look at ALU utilization across current and near term expected workloads(the "life" of the GPU 2-3 years) and compare it to VLIW5 . its easy to say each ALU and supporting infrastructure costs more so therefore its "burdened with GPGPU like nvidia" but that assumes:

linear or near scaling of ALU's
DX11/compute shader workloads wont increase thus decreasing VLIW5/4 shader utilization
that NV and AMD made the same trade offs

now im the furthest thing from an expert in this area. But i dont see anything in your argument that really convinces me.

that again is assumption, how about quantifying what that burden is. its easy to say lean and mean, it doesn't really mean anything.

Quantifying:
Cayman has 1536 ALUs using 2.64B Transistors
Tahiti has 2048 ALUs using 4.31B Transistors
(substitute your own transistor counts if you disagree with these)
Comparing VLIW4 with GCN, then
--> 63% more transistors yields 33% more ALUs
--> therefore the overhead to support GCN vs VLIW4 is 22%

Fermi GF114 has 384 ALUs using 1.95B Transistors
Kepler GK104 has 1536 ALUs using 4.1B Transistors
(substitute your own transistor counts if you disagree with these)
Comparing Fermi to Kepler, then
--> 2.1x transistors yield 4x the ALUs
--> therefore no increase in GPGPU burden, but ditching the hot-clock gives massive benefit in terms of ALU density....

lets look at AMD's ALU scaling on LVIW 4/5 designs. now lets look at ALU utilization across current and near term expected workloads(the "life" of the GPU 2-3 years) and compare it to VLIW5 . its easy to say each ALU and supporting infrastructure costs more so therefore its "burdened with GPGPU like nvidia" but that assumes:

linear or near scaling of ALU's
DX11/compute shader workloads wont increase thus decreasing VLIW5/4 shader utilization
that NV and AMD made the same trade offs

now im the furthest thing from an expert in this area. But i dont see anything in your argument that really convinces me.

Going forward both AMD & NV agree that the GPGPU burden is worth spending the extra transistors on
- just NV made the jump before AMD did

Back