NVIDIA Kepler speculation thread

What about the GTX550Ti with a 192 bit bus and 1GB Ram? Same trick could be used here.

I was thinking the same thing, without being aware that we knew the number of the chips as well.

If we only knew that it was 2GBs, we could have a 384bit bus with two of those.

GF116%20Memory.png

edit: I should refresh more often. oh well.

What did they expect? I would be genuinely suprised if they thought AMD's 365mm² chip were going to beat their own ~500mm² GPU on the same process. Of course Kepler "will have no problem taking down Radeon HD 7900". If nV would think differently, they would expect a massive failure on their side. :rolleyes:

They are of course just bullshitting because they have nothing to show now but why do you assume they're comparing it to their ~500mm² GPU?

What did they expect? I would be genuinely suprised if they thought AMD's 365mm² chip were going to beat their own ~500mm² GPU on the same process. Of course Kepler "will have no problem taking down Radeon HD 7900". If nV would think differently, they would expect a massive failure on their side. :rolleyes:

This is marketing gaga, why people take it at face value is beyond me (assuming rationality and no "Oh my ceilingcat, IHV X makes me cream my underwear just by existing" nonsense). Remember when Cypress launched? Some NV twitter feed was something along the lines of "is that all they've got? That's weak, we'll have hugely better stuff really soon now!!!!". I think we all know how that panned out (as a note, all those tempted to go on the "yes, it clearly resulted in the fastest chip with epic compute and great tessellation", I'm familiar with that rhethoric thank you). Remember the JF_AMD chap and BD, and the buildup? Yeah, we know how that turned out as well (I'm familiar with his weak excuse for that one too). I don't see any difference here - any public facing fellow worth his salt won't be allowed to say anything else.

AMD lost a lot of efficieny with CGN architecture to catch up with Fermi. With Fermi tweaks and 28nm shrink kepler could be much better than the overpriced 6970 - 7970 performance jump.

Honestly, guys. What do you expect Nvidia to say other than that?

"Oh, godsdamnit, we need to cull GK104 and shell out GK110 as soon as it's ready for half the price we've intended to?"

AMD lost a lot of efficieny with CGN architecture to catch up with Fermi. With Fermi tweaks and 28nm shrink kepler could be much better than the overpriced 6970 - 7970 performance jump.

Random statement is random, pulled out of thin air. Are we basing this on how many Crysis-fps it gets in site x's set of bar-charts? There's a bit more to Tahiti than has been ascertained into the first waves of coverage. Tahiti is a very nice chip to work with, and GCN looks quite solid architecturally.

They are of course just bullshitting because they have nothing to show now but why do you assume they're comparing it to their ~500mm² GPU?
Because all they mentioned was Kepler and not GK104 ;)
The best scenario for nV is GK104 being in the range of Tahiti, but it is probably not going to decisively beat it on raw performance (on average, not only in a few selected benchmarks) as long as the rumors of a significantly smaller die and a 256Bit interface are true.
Coming later, nVidia may have an additional advantage that the 28nm process is still quite new and matures at a relatively high rate, i.e. process variations are hopefully going down. That probably enables to use the tightening binsplit distribution to select higher default frequencies in comparison to the situation in which AMD had to do the final decision about the launch frequencies at the end of last year. That also enables to shoot for a slightly better perf/Watt in comparison.

Right but then you're back to the question of who cares whether their big fat chip is going to be faster, that's the status quo :)

Regarding manufacturing tolerances there was a whisper from somewhere (maybe Fudzilla) of the second batch of Tahiti cheaps benefitting from TSMC's ongoing 28nm improvements.

For the record the sentence that has been overanalyzed for no particular reason contains "Kepler" but also "7900". Obviously statements like that are worded as vague as possible.

Even more obvious should be that neither/nor marketing departments decide who will win or lose in the end since I'd like to believe that the majority of consumers aren't a bunch of idiots that can be manipulated either way.

Back